Does Danner make a stiff soled mountain boot?

T3clay

Lil-Rokslider
I love Danner boots, weather them daily butnj cannot seem to find a stiff mountain boot on their web.site (which is not at all user friendly by the way)

Anyone recommend a stiff Danner boot?

quent

Lil-Rokslider
I use the danner combat hiker/crater rim for early season archery. Not as stiff as my zamberlans but I have no issues with them above timber.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

quent

Lil-Rokslider
I try to stay away from the Chinese garbage now a days myself.

OP
T

T3clay

Lil-Rokslider
I try to stay away from the Chinese garbage now a days myself.

Very informative reply, Thanks for the info.

Maybe if I win the lottery I'll be able to afford $500 non "garbage" boots

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
Curious to hear what you find. I love Danner's workboots more than anything else I've tried and would love to pick up a pair for archery season next year

OP
T

T3clay

Lil-Rokslider
Curious to hear what you find. I love Danner's workboots more than anything else I've tried and would love to pick up a pair for archery season next year

If I said I couldn't live without my Danner work boots that would be an understatement....

I contacted Danner here was the reply:

Here are some hunt styles that have a nice rigid sole:

https://www.danner.com/men/hunt/hood-winter-light-8-brown-200g.html

https://www.danner.com/men/hunt/east-ridge-8-brown-400g.html

If you want to try something with a bob sole, they offer a rigid platform as well, but they're only really good on soft terrain (snow, mud, grass, etc.). The bobs will rip up if you're in rocky stuff or walking on asphalt with them.

https://www.danner.com/men/hunt/santiam-8-brown-400g.html

Anything from our Classic Hunter line, the Elk Hunters, East Ridge, and even the Pronghorn have a pretty stiff sole, would work well.

It's just the more modern and athletic/lightweight styles that I would keep away from like the Alsea, Vital, High Ground, etc.

Let us know if any other questions come up!

jmez

WKR
Define stiff? They won't make anything similar to a mountaineering type boot. The Pronghorn has nothing close to what I would consider a stiff sole. That is a bird hunting boot.

You don't need to spend $500 to get a good pair of boots. You can buy some high quality stiff soled boots for the same price as the Danner.

OP
T

T3clay

Lil-Rokslider
Define stiff? They won't make anything similar to a mountaineering type boot. The Pronghorn has nothing close to what I would consider a stiff sole. That is a bird hunting boot.

You don't need to spend $500 to get a good pair of boots. You can buy some high quality stiff soled boots for the same price as the Danner.

Have any examples? I'm open to other brands

jmez

WKR
Scarpa Kinesis Pro GTX. Watch for sales and can get them for around $250. Great mountain boot.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Ditto to what jmez said. Watch for lighter weight non-hunting brand boots. Scarpa Charmoz or Zodiac Tech, La Sportiva Trango Cube, Salewa Crow, etc. There are sales on them all the time for between $200-$300.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

quent

Lil-Rokslider
Very informative reply, Thanks for the info.

Maybe if I win the lottery I'll be able to afford $500 non "garbage" boots
You act like you don't get a tax refund every year. My reply wasn't towards you, the OP, in the first place. I told you the crater rim is a pretty solid boot. So are the elk hunters. In reality you'll go through more of their cheap shit boots then their American boots. And like wise with the high end boots. Trust me I get it. I'm a disabled vet living off my VA and SSDI payments and can't afford the high end stuff off the bat either. Save up, shop around and wait for deals. I got my zamberlans for 40% off or something. If you're going to actually be hunting in the mountains you'll need a good stiff boot. A good pack and solid stiff boots are the two absolute things you don't want to skimp on. You can find both used in pretty good shape for a good price. At a glance I just was a pair of lowa caminos for 90 bucks in excellent condition. But if you plan on hunting the lower elevation for big game where it's not as rough and you don't mountain hunt often stick with the Chinese crap.

BigDonk36

FNG
I have some Gila’s From Danner. They seem pretty stiff to me. They help my feet on steep climbs and side hilling while elk hunting in Colorado.

quent

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of the Mountain Assault's...great boots
Those have been discontinued for a while haven't they? Then they came out with another mountain boot that had some weird green highlights I think. I'd love for them to come out with a solid American made hunting/trekking boot that rivals lowa, kenetrek, and zamberlan. So far any attempt at this has been a nice looking boot but was made in China.

Those have been discontinued for a while haven't they? Then they came out with another mountain boot that had some weird green highlights I think. I'd love for them to come out with a solid American made hunting/trekking boot that rivals lowa, kenetrek, and zamberlan. So far any attempt at this has been a nice looking boot but was made in China.

I saw a short clip posted to youtube for exactly what you describe - Danner Thoroughfare is the boot model. I havent been able to find anymore information than the video clip gives, but they are reportedly made 100% in the USA, and available sometime this fall. I'm very intrigued, looking forward to hearing more about this boot.

quent

Lil-Rokslider
I saw a short clip posted to youtube for exactly what you describe - Danner Thoroughfare is the boot model. I havent been able to find anymore information than the video clip gives, but they are reportedly made 100% in the USA, and available sometime this fall. I'm very intrigued, looking forward to hearing more about this boot.
Oh man, I hadn't heard of the thoroughfare yet. I just saw a video of it. Looks pretty solid. I'm gonna have to get that and check it out. 500 bones for an American made backcountry boot is worth it IMO. I was thinking of the Danner crag rat actually. I found it while going down the boot rabbit hole last night.

Crag Rat USA. They are fairly new on the Danner site under hiking boots. Someone just did a review a couple weeks ago on another forum. I think Hunt Talk

quent

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I read people griping because they crag rat is partly made in the US. Heard they're a solid boot though. One reviewer used them elk hunting intending for them to be a back up boot but switched them out with his kenetreks. The thoroughfare sounds promising though. Honestly the only thing that bugs is that bright green on the boot lol

Last edited: