Does anyone use a thermal while scanning before switching to traditional optics?

rogerthat

FNG
I think they already are. I don't believe there is a state where its legal to hunt big game with thermal of any sort.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
This is incorrect but I’m definitely not throwing anyone an idea reading this thread.

lang

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like it's legal lots of places. Never crossed my mind before aside from coyotes.

Looks like it's legal lots of places. Never crossed my mind before aside from coyotes.
Good job giving people ideas by making it easy and posting this.

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
I have thought it would be helpful for tracking down deer or elk after shooting them like when archery hunting. Definitely a no-go for hunting purposes or "taking wildlife". Doubtful Fish and game would buy that it was being used for solely tracking the game after being shot versus using it for hunting unless they were watching you hunt. Best not to risk it.

kcm2

WKR
Do not seek legal advice over the internet. It's worth exactly what you paid for it.

I am an attorney. I will tell you that only written advice from CPW is a valid defense. Calling and getting advice won't help you.

TripleJ

WKR
I think they already are. I don't believe there is a state where its legal to hunt big game with thermal of any sort.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
I am quoting you because I know that you and I both hunt Oregon and spend a lot of time on the westside chasing blacktails in the thick brush. I had never heard of this kind of thing until this year, at least in a hunting context. I am normally a bowhunter but still make it out with my sons during rifle season quite regularly. From what I am hearing, and from multiple people, is that the use of thermals is becoming quite rampant for westside blacktail rifle 'hunters'. And just like any other form of cheating, they work extremely well. People that used to only kill a dinker buck every few years are suddenly killing a big buck every year, as well as the rest of their family. Glassing up blacktails in the thick brushy clearcuts, especially bedded ones, is the one of the most effective techniques for westside rifle deer hunting and being able to pick up animals in the brush/through the brush takes pretty much all of the work out of it. People are pulling up to clearcuts, doing a quick scan, and if it is empty, they are moving onto the next. They repeat until they find a unit with animals in it. Once you know an animal is there, it simply becomes a waiting game. My buddy talked to an OSP game officer last month and told him what he was hearing. The officer's response was "we know it's going on, but there's not much we can do about it, it's hard to prove" This is most definitely something that needs to be addressed in our state, and there needs to be some enforcement happening, somehow and someway. God knows our blacktail herds are already in a downward trend.