does altitude advantage work?

katdaddy2013

Lil-Rokslider
We are flatlanders that will be going to hunt Colorado at 10,000 ft. Been reading up on this product and would like to hear some testimonies.

ElkNut1

WKR
I've used the Wilderness Athlete altitude sickness tablets & they worked awesome! I would recommend them even if you don't have an issue with elevations, it's cheap insurance!

ElkNut1

sab

Lil-Rokslider
See my testimonial in the "Wilderness Athletes products?" topic in the "Nutrition..." Forum.

Regards,
Scott

I used it last year in CO. Due to the demands of work, I was in nowhere near as good of shape as I wanted to be, and it didn't hurt as bad as it should have. I think it helped, even if it was just psychological.

TEmbry

WKR
I'd love to see some trials done with these. The clinical side of my brain can't help but scream placebo effect.

Acetazolamide is prescription only from your doc but is often used for altitude sickness with proven results (admittedly limited). If you have prescription coverage it would be cheaper too most likely.

kamcgraw

Lil-Rokslider
If you are in good shape, you shouldn't need anything to help you with altitude. I would rather be short of breath for a day or two than put chemicals into my body that "might" help.

OP
K

katdaddy2013

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry, should have checked in nutrition forum first. thanks for all you comments.

ctdad

FNG
I agree with tembry. I am skeptical if anything but placebo. However, I'm not opposed to placebo as it is scientifically proven to have benefit. So this product won't likely help me bc I don't believe it will. If you believe it helps, go for it.

AZ Ron

Lil-Rokslider
I used some in CO this past year. I normally feel a little nauseous and have headaches at altitude (>10k feet), but didn't feel any of that when using it. I'll be using it again next time I go back.

Lawnboi

WKR
Anyone know the active ingredients in this stuff?

I'm interested in it as well. I usually don't have a problem with altitude, well except the time I went from 1000 to 11500 feet in a day and had bronchitis, I'll never do that again.

Might help the first day or so with acclimation. I usually get a headache the first day and after that I'm fine.

OP
K

katdaddy2013

Lil-Rokslider
I googled that stuff and it has a few side effects.
I'd love to see some trials done with these. The clinical side of my brain can't help but scream placebo effect.

Acetazolamide is prescription only from your doc but is often used for altitude sickness with proven results (admittedly limited). If you have prescription coverage it would be cheaper too most likely.

TEmbry

WKR
I googled that stuff and it has a few side effects.

Every substance on earth that we intake has side effects. By law they have to be listed, but they are pretty mild/rare for diamox. I guess my only point was I'd rather take a pill proven to work over an energy blend unstudied claiming to work.

Coffee has a sure fire side effect of diarrhea for me every single time I drink it but plenty of guys tote it up the hill. Lol

LitenFast

WKR
I took it last year on my trip to CO when driving from WI 650ft to the trailhead at 9500ft and then climbing to 12500 elk hunting, I took it and my buddy didn't, he was having trouble sleeping and was more out of breath and at times even light headed and delusional, I felt great. We are both 27 and in pretty good shape and I credit altitude advantage to most of the difference.