Does a usable FFP reticle exist for hunting applications?

McFarmer

FNG
Like the title says, I am currently finishing up a 300 win build and am trying to find a FFP scope for LR hunting that has a reticle that doesn't suck when on lower magnification. I have looked at everything from an NX8, Tenmile, Mk5HD and so on but the reticles are just too difficult at times to pick up unless you are on 10X or more. While I understand that illumination can help in these scenarios, batteries fail and I have that kind of luck. While the Revic RS25I looks very promising, I have found very limited reviews on their optics regarding reliability, tracking and durability. So before I give up and just throw on another FFP scope, is there anything currently that meets this criteria?

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
The G2H reticle is pretty much perfect for hunting, and the LRHS2 scope is a great value too:

Edit to add: I have an original LRHS scope with the illuminated G2H reticles on my .308 hunting rifle. It has been withstood some hard knocks and been a great scope. Harvested many deer and 2 moose with it.

Macintosh

WKR
Search and you’ll find numerous threads on this topic. The maven linked above, the milquad, s&b’s P3l and many mil-dot reticles,plus a few otjers. Most arent quite as bold as a 2fp duplex reticle, but all are pretty close. .

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the Bushnell lrhs2 from gaprecision. It's an easy to see reticle without illumination and is a high quality scope with nice features.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
Have you looked at the NF SHV F1 4-14x50? I have several of them with MOAR reticle and even with my 60 year old eyes the reticle is usable at the lower power settings. This scope is also offered in MIL.

OP
M

McFarmer

FNG
Have you looked at the NF SHV F1 4-14x50? I have several of them with MOAR reticle and even with my 60 year old eyes the reticle is usable at the lower power settings. This scope is also offered in MIL.
I have in fact looked at these hard but I would like a little more magnification than 14x. That is my only sticking point outside of the glass itself as reliability to me is #1.

OP
M

McFarmer

FNG
Maven Mil

I did just order a NX8 in MIL-XT. Still seems legit
I would be all over it but even the MIL-XT is too thin and too busy at lower power for me. I have tried it on my brothers rig but just couldn't see me using it. While I hunt open country most of the time, I also chase elk and bear in Northern Idaho and Wyoming where the grizzly's are thick. My scope is usually all the way down on low power when walking and the last thing I need is to struggle to pick up a reticle when it's needed. Because of this, I have stayed away from FFP

Wrench

WKR
If you're danger close to a griz abd need to fire, you won't even look at the reticle. If you shoot one far enough out to aim.....sure as hell don't tell anyone because you will go broke.

ElPollo

WKR
I have in fact looked at these hard but I would like a little more magnification than 14x. That is my only sticking point outside of the glass itself as reliability to me is #1.
Are we talking about a hunting scope and what ranges are you expecting to take animals at? What utility do you see in scopes with magnification >14x? With a 300 mag, do you expect to be able to spot impacts and quickly find the animal for a second shot at >14x? Personally, I’ve never shot an animal over 9-10x and generally prefer less magnification to be able to stay in the game through recoil.

wowzers

Lil-Rokslider
Search and you’ll find numerous threads on this topic. The maven linked above, the milquad, s&b’s P3l and many mil-dot reticles,plus a few otjers. Most arent quite as bold as a 2fp duplex reticle, but all are pretty close. .
Can you buy any of those today? I’m in a similar boat as the OP and the availability of those models is pretty slim to nonexistent from my searches.

OP
M

McFarmer

FNG
My exact thoughts when I read that
If you're danger close to a griz abd need to fire, you won't even look at the reticle. If you shoot one far enough out to aim.....sure as hell don't tell anyone because you will go broke.
Oh, I agree 100% especially these days. Roughly 15 years ago, I had a bluff charge at 30-40 yards and was able to get my rifle up and put the cross hairs on her face. Any closer and I would have drawn the 44 mag and prayed. I go back to that incident every time I consider going to a FFP for hunting as even my NX8 F1 Mil-C would have been a challenge in those same conditions (timber). I have also snap shot a couple mule deer when I jumped them and haven't found a FFP reticle yet on lower power that is quick to pick up. I may just have to stick to SFP as the juice may not be worth the squeeze.

OP
M

McFarmer

FNG
Can you buy any of those today? I’m in a similar boat as the OP and the availability of those models is pretty slim to nonexistent from my searches.
I have been buried in the various forums for months but have yet to find what I am looking for. It really doesn't appear that any of the quality manufactures out there make a hunting specific FFP reticle. Outside of holding for wind, I do not really see the benefit of FFP for hunting. The nearest thing I have found is the Revic Acura RS25I but their warranty is hot garbage for a $2K optic

wowzers

Lil-Rokslider
I have been buried in the various forums for months but have yet to find what I am looking for. It really doesn't appear that any of the quality manufactures out there make a hunting specific FFP reticle. Outside of holding for wind, I do not really see the benefit of FFP for hunting. The nearest thing I have found is the Revic Acura RS25I but their warranty is hot garbage for a $2K optic
I think a Klassic P3L with a elevation turret would be good for what I want. Probably could even suffice without the turret. I snoozed a couple times that they came up on here. Probably just going to wait on the Maven at this point. This Bushnell is interesting though.

Wish I had jumped in the SWFA train years ago for the price point but that ship has sailed apparently. Greatest warranty in the world doesn’t do much if you have to wait a year for your scope.

Macintosh

WKR
The maven mentioned above may be sold out right now (??) but its a current production scope. The s&b P3 and p4 reticles are also current production in a number of their scopes and should be easy to get. Those 2 should be easy. Yes, some of the others seem to be out of production or harder to find.

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
I used to think I needed all that magnification also, but I have adjusted my thinking a bit. Since then I have grown to like less power, 10ish max on my deer rifles and 14-20 max on my varmint rifles. I will admit to not be that enamored with first focal plane scopes, I absolutely understand the utility of them but I really like second focal planes scopes on most of my hunting rifles.