Does a slider type sight work for all bow speeds

I’m shooting a really draw length at 25”. Hunting whitetails from a tree and most of my shots are 20 yards. I’m not sure what my arrow speed is but it’s going to be pretty slow. I was curious if they make sight tapes that will work for slower set ups? It would be nice to have a single pin that I could adjust for longer shots. A two pin moveable sight would probably be safer though. Maybe a 20 and 30 pin that I can dial. I have a 7 pin black gold sight that is probably 15 years old and the finer optics are broken. Can y’all recommend a cheaper sight that would work for me. I’ve just had three kids birthdays so I’m on a limited budget.
9357614cd74cd07fc3d52ac929e00d33.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
aclawrence
I’m shooting a really draw length at 25”. Hunting whitetails from a tree and most of my shots are 20 yards. I’m not sure what my arrow speed is but it’s going to be pretty slow. I was curious if they make sight tapes that will work for slower set ups? It would be nice to have a single pin that I could adjust for longer shots. A two pin moveable sight would probably be safer though. Maybe a 20 and 30 pin that I can dial. I have a 7 pin black gold sight that is probably 15 years old and the finer optics are broken. Can y’all recommend a cheaper sight that would work for me. I’ve just had three kids birthdays so I’m on a limited budget.
9357614cd74cd07fc3d52ac929e00d33.jpg

If I could dial from 20-50 that would be perfect.

Legend

WKR
No problem. There are several places on the internet that you can get custom site tapes made.

Don't take it the wrong way but a 25 inch draw is really really short for an adult male. I would recomend you have a pro shop check your form. Heck some people have even had a friend take a picture and post it hear. Lot's of free opinions from roksliders.

OP
aclawrence
No problem. There are several places on the internet that you can get custom site tapes made.

Don't take it the wrong way but a 25 inch draw is really really short for an adult male. I would recomend you have a pro shop check your form. Heck some people have even had a friend take a picture and post it hear. Lot's of free opinions from roksliders.

lol I used to have my own pro shop but that was long time ago. Honestly I should probably be shooting 24.5. I’m only 5’4” tall.

No issues with that draw length. I set up a spot hog 3 pin for 60lbs 25” draw for the wife. I believe it maxes out at 70-80 yards (housing hits fletchings).

OP
aclawrence
No issues with that draw length. I set up a spot hog 3 pin for 60lbs 25” draw for the wife. I believe it maxes out at 70-80 yards (housing hits fletchings).

Thanks

FacePlant

FNG
This would be your most budget friendly option:

1724616777331.png

Or try to find a used HHA optimizer single pin. They come up pretty often here or on AT classifieds for not a lot of money. It's easy to make a custom tape with adhesive paper or tape and a permanent marker. Just shoot known yardages, adjust the pin as needed, then mark the tape. Easy way to try a single pin without much financial investment.

blkqi

WKR
One limitation to watch out for on slower setups is that the sight can only slide down so far before it interferes with the arrow flight.

waspocrew

WKR
^^^ this. That will be your limiting factor. In that case, you may need to have your pins a little lower in the sight housing to allow max vertical travel with the slider (I prefer middle of the housing, but this will likely limit how far you can dial).

waspocrew

WKR
I have the black gold vertical ascent - want to say it was like $200 and change when I purchased it a few years back.

Yes your drawlength and arrow speed should work fine for sliders. As someone already said if you need you can custom make a tape if the stock ones don't work. Not sure if you are interested, but I have a 5 pin slider dovetail for sale now. It's a Redline RL2. It was my back up sight on a back up bow and I never used it in the woods. It traveled but never came out of the case. .19 pins. PM me if interested and I'll give you a good deal. I get the idea of a single or two pin though. I hunt west so I needed more options prior to dialing. Good luck on your sight.

Ho5tile1

WKR
We just set up a Mathews lift for one of our buddies he is also a short fellow with 25 inch draw shooting 60# and a cbe trek pro single pin we could not find a tape for him because he can’t shoot 60 yards he also will not shoot over 30 at an animal. So we got him to shoot at 20-30 and 40 made our own lines on there site in tape then just matched it up to a tape it worked on the slowest tape they had. Then we reshot at all the distances to make sure it was on. He will not shoot over 30 at an animal or 40 while we practice so we don’t care about the others being off. He is also shooting a 515 grain arrow with iron will heads. They look like crossbow bolts lol we give him so much crap. All in good fun. Good luck

With a 2 pin vertical I’d guess you could probably get to 50. Probably not much further though as the pins are closer to the center of housing and it’s going to start hitting fletching soon past that.
Although not budget, your best bet would probably be to find a spot hot triple stack or go with a 3 or more horizontal pin sight of any flavor!

OP
aclawrence
We just set up a Mathews lift for one of our buddies he is also a short fellow with 25 inch draw shooting 60# and a cbe trek pro single pin we could not find a tape for him because he can’t shoot 60 yards he also will not shoot over 30 at an animal. So we got him to shoot at 20-30 and 40 made our own lines on there site in tape then just matched it up to a tape it worked on the slowest tape they had. Then we reshot at all the distances to make sure it was on. He will not shoot over 30 at an animal or 40 while we practice so we don’t care about the others being off. He is also shooting a 515 grain arrow with iron will heads. They look like crossbow bolts lol we give him so much crap. All in good fun. Good luck

Sounds like a good plan. I hardly ever need to shoot more than 30 yards. I will usually practice to 50 just for fun. My arrows probably look the same as his lol. I think mine are around 450 grains total. I’m shooting 200 gr cut throats.

Nyhunt79

FNG
Very easy to make your own. A lot of people do actually, some because the factory tapes aren’t always accurate. Last year I took a random tape and cut out the numbers which I then stuck on a blank piece of paper and then put clear tape over it to help last longer

mtfallon

Lil-Rokslider
If you have slow arrow speed than your pins will be more spread apart, making it crucial to know your exact yardage. In your situation I'd likely do a 3 pin 20-30-40, they should be spread out enough to not be in the way. Otherwise could try something like an option sight with a few fixed and then a slider.