Do you 'test-drive' your new gear before the season?

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Who else ‘test-drives’ food or gear before their hunt? I’m testing one of the most important things on a hunt. Coffee ☕️. The left photo is a prototype from a local coffee company. I’ll post the name when I can. The other one is a GSI 'ultralight java drip'. Overall, I liked the reusable option better. It gives me more flexibility when choosing the coffee brand I want. It claims to nest under a fuel can. I haven’t checked. Without a doubt, I will still buy the pre-made packets for the hectic hunting morning, and also have the re-usable one for when there's more time in the day to brew a cup of coffee,
Image.jpeg

Anyone’s ones you specifically like I’m needing to l try to find some better coffee options than the instant packs. I tried to order from dark timber back in April so I’d have plenty of time to test it…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have same coffee maker in my hunting cabin I have in my house. So no need to test drive coffee making.
If I was hunting back country I would test drive about everything if I hadn't used the product or gear before. I cant imagine trying to get it figured out in the backcountry.

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
Gear=Yes
Food=YES!!!

Don’t wanna be in the backcountry with lousy gear OR food!
(Best to find out a particular meal doesn’t agree with you when your near indooor plumbing!😖😂)

I do, teepee, sleeping bag, boots, wood stove, food, COFFEE etc. If I am going to take it, I want to know that it is going to get the job done right when I need it to.

Poser

WKR
I test everything before a longer trip. I don't have a problem testing gear out on an overnight hunt, though.
I camp/backpack 30+ days between June and the end of August every summer, so plenty of opportunities to get gear sorted out and assimilated into my systems.

TheViking

WKR
Absolutely!

I don't ever step into the mountains without testing everything I'm bringing with (with a few exceptions for really minor things).

If you're not doing this, you're setting yourself for failure, or potentially be in a bad situation in places you don't want to be in bad situations.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
On a side note, check your used gear as well. I just broke a boot lace a couple days ago. I meant to replace them before this season anyway, but I keep forgetting to buy some. I know if I hadn't worn my boots the other day that I would have broken it in camp in a few weeks. Now they have new laces before I even get up there. (y)

I test out anything that is critical to my success or survival. Some are tested more extensively than others depending on their importance. Non critical items get tested when hunting. Food I usually test a couple from each maker and then I got a pretty good idea on if I am going to like their other stuff. A bad tasting meal every once in a while is no big deal when I'm hungry.

Anyone’s ones you specifically like I’m needing to l try to find some better coffee options than the instant packs. I tried to order from dark timber back in April so I’d have plenty of time to test it…

What do you mean tried to order? I like their coffee packets as well as anglers coffee. Those are the currents ones I tend to pack around.

What do you mean tried to order? I like their coffee packets as well as anglers coffee. Those are the currents ones I tend to pack around.

I mean I ordered in back in April paid for it still have not received the product. Emailed them a few times was told it is going right out a month later I’ll email again this last time I just asked my my money back and never received an response or my money. Will not order from dark timber again even if they could guarantee my piss will turn to cow in heat and bring the bulls right to camp.

I mean I ordered in back in April paid for it still have not received the product. Emailed them a few times was told it is going right out a month later I’ll email again this last time I just asked my my money back and never received an response or my money. Will not order from dark timber again even if they could guarantee my piss will turn to cow in heat and bring the bulls right to camp.

Oh wow that’s the first I’m hearing of issues like that. I have not ordered for a bit so I will check into it a little more before I place another order so I don’t end up in the same boat. Thanks for the info.

Oh wow that’s the first I’m hearing of issues like that. I have not ordered for a bit so I will check into it a little more before I place another order so I don’t end up in the same boat. Thanks for the info.

No problem I had heard of one or 2 guys having that issue but figured it was just bad luck and gave them a shot. I feel like I gave them plenty of time to make it right and didn’t bug them everydsy just once a month I’d send a reminder but no response from my last email had me pretty irritated.

go_deep

WKR
You'd be nuts not to.

Years ago I was going up elk hunting and driving down a road with several camps on it right before dark these 2 guys pull a tent out of the back of their truck, still new in the box. I stopped and watch them for several minutes, they were struggling just to get the tent unraveled out of the box, it looked miserable to me racing against the dark.

Last edited:

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
I test drove my wife before i married her, and i test drive all my gear. Id hate get in too deep with something and find out it doesnt do what i need from it.

For coffee this year i'm gonna take caffeine/vitamin/electrolyte pills that my wife had laying around from something she signed up for. I took them a few times and they seemed to work better than nothing... and it saves weight.

OP
Tanya Avery

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Glad I did with my boots this year. They absolutely destroyed my feet until they broke in.

That is the absolute truth! Not breaking in/testing footwear is a HUGE mistake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro