Do you take your clothes off to sleep on a backpack hunt?

Do you take your clothes off to sleep in the back country?

• Total voters

EdP

WKR
Once back at camp I change into a dedicated base layer top and bottom that I will sleep in. Other clothes go on top but come off at bedtime.

ColeyG

WKR
To each their own certainly and I realize there is more than one successful strategy and approach to most things. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

After 20+ years of guiding and climbing in the glaciated mountains and a dozen multi-week trips up Denali in mostly sub-zero temps to include the most wretched winter storm conditions on the planet, I am pretty comfortable with my approach and gear. I have all of my fingers and toes to back it up ;)

Hot tip when taking a "mountain shower" in your only pair of dirty undies at -20F, tuck the frozen wet wipes under your arm to thaw them out, it feels a little better than between your thighs. A hot Nalgene in a bottle parka in the toe of your bag makes a happy camper. Still not getting dressed in my bag.

I don't wash my hands every time I go poop either, only when I get poop on them. Perhaps a non-event feedback loop as you allege, but so far so good.

This having been said, there is always something yet to be learned, especially as gear continues to improve and change.

manitou1

WKR
Depends on the weather. I NEVER sleep naked in the mountains for two reasons:
1) If a bear pulls me out of my slumber and mauls me the search and rescue won't have to succumb to this 63 year old body... nekkid!
2) If I worked up a sweat for a day or two and leave my base layers on, it keeps mother-in-laws away, and most evil spirits. 😁

I usually ditch my pants but sleep in my socks and underwear and a merino long sleeve shirt. When it gets real cold I’ll keep a merino base layer pant on and wear a beanie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robtattoo

WKR
>40⁰ & I'm freeballing. Nekkid as the day I was born.

<40⁰ & I'm usually in either pajama pants or sweat pants & a long sleeve cotton t-shirt.

If it's super cold, like, sub freezing I'll add a merino beanie & socks.

Honestly, I detest sleeping in clothes & will do most things to avoid it.

Directed at Rock and Sage: I totally disagree with you in the above post and am in ColeyG’s camp all the way. And I’ll put my 50 yr back country and bowhunting experience around North America way up there….from polar bears out on the ice for 11 days in February to lots of mountain hunts around BC, NWT and down in the CO…Arrowed all 29 species, 2/3 without guides.

But keep being you and we’ll keep doing what has worked well for us! And I’ll skip snow caves, don’t think many of us would build one on our hunts from the Arctic down to the Sonoran desert.

That's fine man. If it's working for you, it's working for you. Keep in mind that I began my response to the OP with something along the lines of paying attention to the why's behind what everyone shares. What I shared is foundational, including the whys, and it's important as a reference in the absence of the advantages of great modern gear.

I think one of the blind spots a lot of the more experienced people have in any field, especially when they're operating at an elite level, is they lose their reference point from when they were a rookie at it. What I shared wasn't directed at the guy who's "Arrowed all 29 species" - it is foundational knowledge that will work, and won't get them into trouble, regardless of their level of experience. The elite hunter likely will know how to spot and avoid poison oak, and may be using permethrin on their boots - and can get away with climbing into their sleeping bag with their clothes on. The problem is when they then tell the whole interwebnets that they've "never had a problem with it".

Do your norms mean a rookie, or an inexperienced spouse, or child is well-advised to just crawl into the sleeping bag in their clothes after a day of running around in the woods?

Your zero is not the same as everyone else's. And it's easy to forget all the context you have when making your decisions - context other people aren't zeroed for yet.

Stalker69

WKR
Down to skivies, regardless of where iam sleeping. If it's cold when I get up, I shove my clothes in the bag for a few minutes to warm them, before putting them on.

Robobiss

Lil-Rokslider
Getting dressed inside a sleeping bag sucks. But so does sleeping with clothes on… I’m usually sleeping in my underwear almost regardless of temperature, never get cold.

When I do get cold and miserable and hard to wake up however is when it’s time to get out of the bag in the morning.

Maybe I should change my ways and follow suit with other posters, and pack a lighter bag and wear base layers to bed so it’s not so miserable getting out in the morning.

My ideal camp involves a tipi and a woodstove anyways, that way I can get dressed in my personal “sauna” first thing in the morning.

Geewhiz

WKR
When I put my clothes on before I leave the pickup, I leave them on until I return and that includes sleeping in them. By the time I get home my pants will often stand up on their own. 🤣

Lurch12

Lil-Rokslider
Down to the briefs! I’ve tried both in sub zero weather. Your body temp will Warm Your entire bag if your skin is exposed..
if your in your base layers your body is more insulated and doesn’t have as much air to warm up..

30 degrees and above sleeping: Ranger panties, merino t-shirt, clean socks, beanie
29ish to single digits: merino base long top/bottom, clean socks, beanie
Single digits and below: puff top/bottom, merino base long top/bottom, clean socks, beanie

Pack: spare merino base layer top/bottom and 2 pairs of socks (weighs ~20 ounces)

ljalberta

WKR
On trips from 1 day in length to 17, I only bring a spare pair of socks. This might change if I was in a super wet climate or doing late season hunting.

I just crawl into my bag and sleep in my clothes. If they’re wet, they’ll dry out overnight.

This is alberta early to mid season and it’s a fairly dry climate.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
At minimum change my socks. Zip off bottoms if I brought them. Definitely will use puffy jacket as needed.

199p

FNG
I always take fresh socks and a thermal top to sleep in, if its cold i found a down vest is much nicer to sleep in then a jacket.

N8H

FNG
I'm a very particular sleeper. I strip down to my boxers almost regardless of temp ir i wont sleep. Last weekend I was camping and decided that, since it was supposed to be 32° that night, I would keep a few layers on. Around 1am I gave up and shed everything but the briefs, fell asleep shortly afterwards.

Typically sleep is rare when I'm in the backcountry though...it just never works out.