Do you take your clothes off to sleep on a backpack hunt?

Do you take your clothes off to sleep in the back country?

• Total voters
I've been getting mixed messages on this so wanted to see what all you experts have to say on the subject.

Additional question, what do you typically pack extras of. I'm a big proponent of extra socks, extra short base lower and extra long base lower.

ColeyG

WKR
Lots of variables here.

Temperatures, are your action layers and/or base layers wet, down sleeping bag vs. synthetic, etc.

My default, if temps are mild and I'm relatively dry and comfortable, is to sleep in my action layers. Sometimes with base layers on underneath if temps dictate that. More often than not my action layers would be softshell pants and whatever wind/warm layers I wear on my upper body while hiking on a typical day.

I strive to not bring anything "extra" on backpacks hunts, only what is needed to get by and be comfortable, relatively speaking. Socks are about the only things I bring more than one pair of. That having been said, I am pretty tolerant of and used to getting by with single pairs of things like underwear and base layers for weeks at a time having gone 36 days in the mountains without the chance to shower...

Last edited:
OP
U
Lots of variables here.

Temperatures, are your action layers and/or base layers wet, down sleeping bag vs. synthetic, etc.

My default, if temps are mild and I'd relatively dry and comfortable, is to sleep in my action layers. Sometimes with base layers on underneath if temps dictate that. More often than not my action layers would be softshell pants and whatever wind/warm layers I wear on my upper body while hiking on a typical day.

I strive to not bring anything "extra" on backpacks hunts, only what is needed to get by and be comfortable, relatively speaking. Socks are about the only things I bring more than one pair of. That having been said, I am pretty tolerant of and used to getting by with single pairs of things like underwear and base layers for weeks at a time having gone 36 days in the mountains without the chance to shower...
hardcore man...

JohnB

WKR
For me I'm pretty similar with Coley. If it's going to be real wet I'll have a set of sleeping base layer clothes I keep dry and I will change into my wet clothes in the morning. If I'm doing things right I am rolling into camp at dark and up and going before sun up.

I'm also lazy and hate screwing around wrestling into my clothes in the morning. Wake up, put on my boots and puffy coat, start stove and I'm eating in 5 minutes and hiking within 20 min.

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
Um... usually my hunting clothes are extremely dusty and dirty, or wet and muddy depending on the time of the year. No way i am climbing into a sleeping bag with those.

Poser

WKR
Assuming cooler weather, I bring a pair of socks to sleep in. These are a pair of thin, very breathable cycling socks. If its a longer trip, I'll often bring a dedicated shirt to sleep in as well. I'll sleep in the same lower body base layers as I use in the field and I don't mind sleeping in my field (upper body) mid layer either, but having a clean shirt and socks makes a big difference in terms of comfort.

Cady Creek

Lil-Rokslider
Agree with a lot of the above. Tough to predict. I'm a less is more sleeper. Usually just boxers. But a few years ago, it was everything I had in my pack layered on and a zero degree quilt. Still wasn't enough.
Extra's are socks and underwear. Two items you'll be happy to have fresh sets of.

I have sleeping socks and hunting socks, mostly so I don't stink up an expensive sleeping bag. And then if my hunting socks get nasty I can switch, and/or wash them in a creek.

I typically sleep in baselayers, merino bottoms and long sleeve top. Again, I don't want my body oils to get on an expensive sleeping bag. Admittedly those layers can get stanky too. It's not perfect, but a balance of weight and comfort.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I just sleep in my clothes regardless of season. In the summer I just leave my bag unzipped to regulate the temp. I’ll usually add a pair of thick socks in my pack for sleeping to keep my feet warm in the fall.

A clean light weight pair of wool base layers and fluffy wool socks to sleep in. If it’s warm I’ll go boxers and top. Having clean sleep clothes makes a huge difference to me getting good rest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a lightweight bag liner on backcountry hunts to help keep my bag cleaner (at least in my mind). socks, usually no pants and long sleeve top as I often will sleep with arms outside bag if not really cold. Layer up if necessary outside of that.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hopapa