Do you take small game hunting as seriously as big game?

jayhawk

WKR
Maybe it’s just me, but I’ve always thought of small game as the “just have fun” side of hunting. Grab some water, knife, and a stringer then go tromping around the woods with a .22 and just have fun.

I always plan and scout more for big game (especially in the west), and seem to take it more seriously.

Anyone else feel this way?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Small game tends to be plentiful, so the same amount of effort is not needed. Some people take birds pretty seriously from what I see, but when I can bring home 20 ptarmigan for an overnight (which is the possession limit) why put any additional effort into it.

The spot I go got hit pretty hard by hunters last year though, so in a year or two I may have to put in more work and find another spot.

Maki35

WKR
I'm the same way. I'm more carefree when I'm hunting small game.

Where I put more work (scouting, watch the wind, my scent, etc..) and have more gear when it comes to big game hunting.

Squirrel hunting used to be very serious around here, but has fallen off in the last 20 years. It and rabbit hunting are the first to open and it used to be a Labor Day weekend tradition to go out with friends and family. There are several reasons for the decline I'm sure, but I would say that the most influential is folks believing that tromping around their deer hunting spots hunting squirrels messes up their opportunities for big bucks, espeically during early youth, muzzleloader, and bow seasons.

We always look out for rabbits when hunting birds and kill them when its not a safety issue with bird dogs. We also always try to get out a couple times in late Jan and Feb after bird seasons close.

That all being said, squirrels and rabbits do not get the same attention as birds and whitetails in Iowa.

In an ideal world, I'll hunt opening morning for doves (to get my little boy out). I might also get invited on a quail hunt, more focused on reconnecting with old friends. And if I'm ambitious I'll hunt squirrels after all the big game seasons have closed. I'm mildly successful with this approach, but it scratches the itches I have at the time.

IsThisHeaven

Lil-Rokslider
I take pheasant hunting seriously. Squirrel and rabbit hunting are fun. My kids and I love it. We mostly hunt later in the season after deer hunting. I shoot rabbits over my Springer when pheasant hunting.

I take it seriously in the sense that it just helps refine the hunting senses/gets me in the hunting mindset before deer season opens, is a fun way to scout new areas, and keeps me in the field more often. But in terms of scouting, research, gear, and other prep, no not as serious.

Also I generally try to do it in spots I don't necessarily plan on deer hunting that fall, unless I see a lot of good sign in an area I'm small game hunting.

RS3579

WKR
I enjoy small game hunting. I get to take my young kids more during small game season. And that time is always enjoyable. I also use it to practice more shooting a rifle in the woods using a 17hmr for squirrels. Taking head shots only.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
I used to take waterfowl more serious than any other hunting I did. It was the main thing I cared to chase. Money wise I’ve spent stupid amounts of money chasing waterfowl. I’d hunt deer and as soon as it was over it was waterfowl. Sometimes deer season was a nuisance. I still love it but I’ve transitioned to where the deer hunt is the main focus every year and waterfowl is more of a get out whenever type of deal.

Late season rabbits I look forward to after the big game seasons close, a good hunt or two with friends is a nice way to wrap up the hunting year. We usually do a canned quail hunt in February pretty much the same deal breakfast with friends and a bit of hunting, I enjoy watching the dogs more than the hunt. Haven't hunted tree rats in a long time but should thin out the flock where I deer hunt. Perhaps a goose hunt if invited but did do a snow goose hunt last year will definitely do that again. After that it's time to limber up the fly rod for trout.

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
Small game is supposed to be fun…well all hunting is supposed to be fun.

I do scout for small game when I’m scouting for deer or walking through the woods. When I go it’s usually enjoying time out in the woods. Taking the kids and just having fun. I get more serious squirrel hunting with the recurve or pistol, it’s a fun challenge.

LoggerDan

WKR
As a young man, I took cottontail and squirrel hunting very seriously. I was a .22 hunter mainly, having mastered the 12 gauge full choke side of things. My pals and I took serious count . I believe a practiced habit of one shot kills with a peep sighted rifle has contributed greatly to my overall marksmanship I’m the field, offhand and a hasty rest. Targets, I’m ok, but do or die right now game shots, I’m pretty doggone good.

I think kids are getting ripped off and gypped bypassing small game and going straight to deer. The small animals provide big lessons.

Oregon

WKR
Waterfowl hunting is way more important than big game. With that said, I'll never give up a big game hunt for waterfowl. I get 107 days for ducks.
I truly love mule deer hunting. Elk hunting is for a year of food.
Waterfowl is therapy. Absolute therapy. Me, the dog and decoying birds.

I started with ducks and geese at 9. Big game came later. At this point I strongly believe that goose hunting is a civic duty necessary to save the earth.

Yarak

WKR
Growing up squirrel hunting was a way of life and was taken very seriously and a good squirrel dog was a prized possession and still is with some folks
Now for me its just as serious as it was way back then though I dont go as much as back then