Do you take a backup rifle on hunts?

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
I always bring a backup and it’s best that your backup be an old reliable in a common to find caliber just for the best insurance.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
I bring 2 rifles + shotgun.

Primary rifle for desired hunting style - 760 pump 30-06 with peep sights for tracking
scoped 308 for if I sit a timber cut for the first / last hour of light and back up if really needed

and a shotgun for grouse that I happen upon while driving to different spots

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
If I'm travelling yes. I won't leave it in my truck though. Worst case the day is ruined if I have issues with my primary rifle. If I'm just doing a day hunt close to home then no.

Yes. Hunt with family group. Has come in handy several times due to guns/scopes breaking. I play the weather. Blued wood stock for sunny days. Synthetic stainless for rain.

I usually bring 7 guns, along with multiple other types of weapons.... and thats just for bow season. A backup rifle, 30.06 or .270, a .223. a .22 or .17. couple shotguns, couple handguns, bows, slingshot, pen flare, etc. Pays to be prepared. The trick is leave all your weapons at the TH in a rusty 1989 subaru with a "coexist" and some obama/biden campaign stickers on the back...then I think thieves get the impression they would only find some moldy tofu and incense in there so they leave your stuff alone. Also helps if your travelling out of state to put a resident license plate on your rig at the TH...simple swap goes a long way...especially if your from TX and hunting in NM (Which I'm not)