Do you regret getting your suppressor?

Rich M

WKR
I wear hearing aids. Those mold in the ear style one should cut the noise well.

I had a pair of electric muffs - so can hear folks for safety reasons. And they weren't enough. For safety I cannot wear plugs (I wear the flanged plugs) and muffs - won't hear nothing. Probably wouldn't mind muzzle brakes in that state.

Found another pair of e-muffs that rate at 27 db reduction and they seem good. Haven't used em on the range yet, sure does tune my wife out well tho. Then turn on the electric part and hear her clear as a bell.

WKR
The top three reduction scores at shooters ear on a gas gun are hux cans by a pretty good margin. I have heard other people mention that the sound away from the shooter is fairly loud, or that they are not very effective on subsonic rounds. It seems like they are designed to be effective in a certain flow/pressure regime. The new flow 762 being right with a nomad ti on a bolt gun is a significant result.

Screenshot_20230620_120545_Chrome.jpg

Just got to shoot my harvester evo on my tikka 7 mag.

Was running 160 partitions loaded with 63.8 gr 7828. Speeds are about 2950 fps so not blazing hot. Gun is 7.8 lbs +/- a couple ounces. I have a limbsaver on it.

Recoil Energy: 25.44 ft-lbs.

Wow. Felt like I was shooting a 7-08 or a 6.5 cm. Significant felt recoil reduction (besides adding the 10 oz suppressor). and of course, no muzzle blast. It was really enjoyable to shoot.
I just ordered that harvester evo with the bogo deal. Getting it first then the warlock. I’m pretty stoked.

Byobsob

FNG
Interesting thread, while I think suppressors are great this is just the new hunting fad. If you hunt with one great if you don’t great. Hunt with what you got. Are they quieter yes, have people hunted fine without them for hundreds of years? I’m going to say yes. If you can’t hit a deer or elk on the first shot then you either need to practice or get closer. As far as hearing is concerned I don’t know how may people walk around in a group while hunting. So none of your friends,many yards away, are going to complain that their hearing was hurt. I would bet that there are many more people hunting without suppressors than with suppressors and they aren’t going deaf, maybe a little hard of hearing (lol).
They are great if you can afford it and are willing to do the time but don’t neuter people because they shoot without one or use a brake. In todays age with democrats they way they are just be glad and lucky we all still have guns because everyday they are working on ways to take them. Take your spare can and loan it to the guy next to you if it bothers you that much

I just ordered my first two,obviously I dont any to go deaf but im not to concerned with hunting without one and never have been.
I want the more enjoyable experience,less recoil,spotting impact etc.
I love to hunt and have 30 plus more years so why not.I have read at least 300 post on different forums at I would say 85-90 percent say it’s worth it.
They are not cheap and the process sucks so if that amount of people agree then it’s obvious to me they are worth it.I dont think it’s a fad,it’s a steady growing market for the last decade.That’s not a fad.

Last edited:

WKR
It's definitely not a fad. I think people are just getting past the idea that it's some crazy hurdle to overcome to get a can. Yeah, it takes a long time and costs money, but it's not difficult. I used to think it was all complicated forms that might be denied if you didn't cross a "t" properly or your fingerprints weren't perfect.

We've got better cartridges that work well in shorter barrels, increasing tech and hunting focus in suppressor production, and electronic form submission that takes maybe 15 minutes. There's a bunch of things coming together to propagate suppressor use in hunting. It's only going to get more popular.

atmat

WKR
have people hunted fine without them for hundreds of years? I’m going to say yes.
This logic stifles innovation. By this principle, we should all be using hand-sharpener stones because it worked for previous generations.

I would bet that there are many more people hunting without suppressors than with suppressors and they aren’t going deaf, maybe a little hard of hearing (lol).
I’m mid 30’s and have pretty bad tinnitus from shooting. Likewise, my father is on hearing aids with bad tinnitus. There is a legitimate harm that comes from shooting without proper ear protection, which is tough to achieve in the woods (or even at the bench sometimes). That’s what I’m trying to protect against for my children.

Interesting thread, while I think suppressors are great this is just the new hunting fad.
They were invented in the 1800’s and are mandatory in many places outside the US. I hardly think that constitutes a new fad.

WKR
I’m mid 30’s and have pretty bad tinnitus from shooting. Likewise, my father is on hearing aids with bad tinnitus. There is a legitimate harm that comes from shooting without proper ear protection, which is tough to achieve in the woods (or even at the bench sometimes). That’s what I’m trying to protect against for my children.

This is where I am at. I hunt in hardwoods where deer are nearly impossible to see if you don't know they are there. So it's a combination of needing to hear them and getting off a quick shot, so ear pro is tough.

When you consider the recent research in hearing loss and dementia, it's hard to just bang away and not worry about it.

Flyrodr

FNG
Absolutely no regrets on suppressor. I had some hearing damage from shooting when I was a kid, and have tried to be careful since then. On the range, particularly an indoor range, I use foam plugs AND good muffs. I'll do it outdoors as well, if practicing. For hunting, I usually only use the muffs. For those who need to hear what's going on around them in the woods, if you've never used good muffs, and turn them up a bit, you can hear much better than with only your ears. And still suppress sound.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
No regrets at all. As much as I wish I’d gotten into them sooner, I’m glad I don’t have a bunch of crappy, obsolete 20 year old cans laying around that are from companies no longer in business. I guess 20 years from now I’ll have that problem though.

Did that dude just say that it is a 'hunting fad"?
There's a decent percentage of hunters that are resistant to any and all innovation or quality of life improvements in shooting/hunting. It's mostly the same stuff.

1. People 50 years ago didn't need to do that so why should we?
2. I'll get one when I don't have to ASK PERMISSION from the GOVERNMENT!
3. My earbuds weigh nothing and doesn't cost anything!

If you want to see a BUNCH of them in the wild, go check out Randy Newberg's recent video on how he's only going to hunt with a suppressor from now on. Given the demographics of his viewerbase the comments section is hilarious. There's morons who still think the ATF can just search your house for no reason if you own a suppressor. There's just so much fuddlore and misinformation surrounding suppressors.

Sevens

WKR
Love mine, no regrets. I got one to save my hearing since I’m not that old but I’m starting to do the “what, say that again” more than I want. Would like to be able to hear my daughters when I’m older, a suppressor seems like a step in the right direction.

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
My only regret is not getting a suppressor years ago. I have significant hearing loss and tinnitus from shooting with no hearing protection and or using improper fitting hearing protection. I now wear hearing aids and still can’t always discern what my grandchildren are saying.

My first suppressor was a used SF SOCOM 7.62 RC2 which currently sees service on all my rifles with threaded barrels except one. The recoil, muzzle blast and concussion are greatly reduced. I now have several other suppressors awaiting ATF approval.

Also, a suppressor is great for teaching new shooters since the sound and muzzle blast are lessened.

I agree with Sevens, a suppressor seems to be a step in the right direction along with education on the proper use of hearing protection.

davsco

WKR
yeah i got one (tbac ultra 7) for 6.5 (creed and prc). it just doesn't reduce noise enough for me not to want to wear hearing protection. plus the recoil impulse is way worse than with a decent brake. i've just been wearing electronic earmuffs when i hunt. they amplify the forest noises (animal movement etc) so there is a plus to them.

now, on my .22 LR rifle, the can for that def makes it super easy on the ears, no earpro needed.

8grenade

FNG
I regret not getting into the game sooner. I haven't had a purchase yet that I've been unhappy with. There's a lot of great competition and great cans in the market right now. I feel pretty fortunate honestly.

My step dad just got his first. Here is a video of him shooting it on a 16” 6 mm arc

Now tell me you would rather shoot without a suppressor??