Do you only grind your own wild game?

E.Shell

FNG
I've always butchered my own deer. Used to have a local shop grind my scraps for me, but couldn't be sure it was all mine, or if I got all of mine back. Bought a 1-1/2 HP grinder 30 years ago and still use it. One of my few sensible purchases.

I keep the backstraps aside for steaks. I debone, remove fat, tendons and connective tissue, then grind everything else.

Take control of processing your harvest!
A grinder will quickly pay for itself
YOU will have control and knowledge of the quality of every piece you process
YOU will know every ounce is YOUR harvest and not part of someone else's!
YOU can make any type of sausage you wish for MUCH cheaper than the processor
YOU decide what to do with every cut of the animal.
YOU will build your skills and those of your family :)
^^ This ^^

muddydogs

WKR
Something to think about for the people that don't have the money for a $300 plus grinder. Back about 10 ish years ago when I didn't have the cash for a fancy grinder I purchased the LEM 575 #8 grinder which was and still is around $100. I would like a new fancy grinder but after 1500 pounds of wild game, fat, pork and beef some of it being half frozen I just can't kill off this little grinder. Yes I have kept track of the number of pounds I have ground as everyone told me and the internet said that cheap grinder with it's plastic gears wouldn't last a deer or two.

I did strip out one plastic gear when a piece of bone got into the grinder. Went to purchase a new gear from LEM and when I saw the gear kit was around $2 I purchased a 6 pack so I would never be without, well 8 years later I still have 5 gears new in box.

As a side note I grind everything once through the fine plate, tried grinding first through the course plate then through the fine plate like everyone recommends but I just don't see the need for the double grind or the time waisted trying to feed ground burger through the grinder a second time.

I've down all my own Wildgame for the last 7 years. Started with a small LEM and quickly jumped up to a 1 hp. It blows thru meat really fast. I will say, it is still a bunch of work, but in the end it is worth it. We make bulk hot Italian, chorizo, sweet Italian as well as usually 80/20 grind. Last month I shot a bull elk and netted over 200 lbs of grind and a bunch of backstap steaks and few roasts.

If you are stuffing casings, I recommend getting a stuffer, it you are doing bulk 1lb packs, you do not need it. The combo taper unit by LEM to seal off the bags is the Cat's ass. Like everyone else has said, I know at the end of the day, how my meat was handled, processed and packed.