Do you eat an entire mountain house?

OP
S

Steeliedrew

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone. It was more the sodium I was worried about. I can put down large amounts of food all day. somebody mentioned Chicken A La King. I had that one the other day and LOVED it! So far I've only tried that one and the sweet and sour pork with rice and really enjoyed both of them. I'll have to try those fajitas that were mentioned.

eagleone

FNG
I easily eat 1 - usually I want more...... Try the lasagna, it's my favorite - personally I avoid beef stew at all costs

One is pretty easy for me to put down also @ 170 lbs. PB and bacon sandwich for lunch and many other snacks throughout the day also. I've only done one hunt, but I came home lighter by several pounds even though I ate a lot.

Headed up to the Bob Marshall for some backpacking this weekend and planning on eating a MH meal each night with some fresh cutthroat trout. I tend to overpack with food but I'd rather have too much than not enough. I'm also packing a 12 pack of beer...:D

Slim Jim

WKR
Lasagna with meat sauce and the fajitas (with tortillas and del scorcho hot sauce) are the only ones I really like and I eat the whole thing for dinner. I'll be bringing a couple of those on a ten day hunt next week. I mix up the rest of my dinners with idahoan potatoes and spam, and ramen noodles with salmon.

unm1136

WKR
For the wraps I kinda like the chicken salad, with no heating of water, and my all time favorite hands down MH meal is the Buffalo Chicken Wrap. I found a place that had a few in stock last year and bought them all. Tastes great and 60+g protein per serving, 390 kcal/serving. When I can find them I buy as many as I can afford. Hard to find now, I don't know if they are discontinued, or out of production cycle. Chicken an potatoes are my second favorite, chilimac, spaghetti, and others as long as I can add extras. Protein content and calories, in that order are my preferences. My body has always recovered from exercise and injury better on 40-30-30 diet than any other. For years as a kid I was ordered to eat some of everything, and clean my plate.

I drag along a philly cream cheese packet for stroganoff, I have spice containers with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and my habanero lime seasoning.

pat

Last edited:

amp713

WKR
I devour a 2 meal MH. Plus more food throughout the day. Im an endless pit, i swear if my metabolism would slow down my pack would weigh half as much! I LOVE the fajita idea. Ill try that next weekend when we do a final scout trip! What flavors are you using?! I also wanna try the idahoan potatoes this trip.

I make half , just get water to boil throw on 1/2 meal and seal bag back up then remain cooking on low or no heat at all till done , can be done in jet boil or any mug , i use a ti mug works great then throw in some water and gatorade powder when done for my thirst cleans the mug then a quick rinse with water , works great for me

RyanC

WKR
The whole meal, no problem. Most MH meals just aren't enough calories for me after all day in the mountains.

Question: what is everyone's aversion to sodium?
The OP's question comes from a place of OMG I don't want that much sodium like it's gonna do some sort of harm.
I don't know about the rest of you but I sweet out salt and CRAVE more. My body loves salty snacks and I would think it would help you avoid dehydrating yourself if you listen to your body and give it what it craves, because it's craving it for a reason..... it's running low & needs it.

Anyway back to the OP's question. I eat a whole MH meal no problem.
Although most of my meals are DIY dehydrated meals. 2cups dry to 2cups water.
Hunt'nFish

amp713

WKR
I dont worry about what i eat too much as im pretty young with a high Meatbo still..... However when that time comes im still not gonna worry during the hunt. Load me with fuel when i need it

I alaways think of my grandparents who lived on a farm back in the days of depression, before and after , raisig my mom and seven other siblings. Pretty much self sufficient eating farm animals and their off shoots like butter cheese eggs bacon . A diet that now days would be looked at as extremely unhealthy with fat and colesteral. They both weighed under 130 pounds and both very fit tho. The reason in my mind was because they were up before dawn and to bed way past sunset, busting their asses to put food on the table. With the relatively sedentary lifestyles today , yea we suffer from extremes.too much salt sugar fat jack daniels. Over half considered obese and diabetes running rampant
ven

unm1136

WKR
Question: what is everyone's aversion to sodium?
The OP's question comes from a place of OMG I don't want that much sodium like it's gonna do some sort of harm.
I don't know about the rest of you but I sweet out salt and CRAVE more. My body loves salty snacks and I would think it would help you avoid dehydrating yourself if you listen to your body and give it what it craves, because it's craving it for a reason..... it's running low & needs it.

Anyway back to the OP's question. I eat a whole MH meal no problem.
Although most of my meals are DIY dehydrated meals. 2cups dry to 2cups water.
Hunt'nFish

From the last conversation I had with my doc, sodium has been bad for years due to the incidence of hypertension with corresponding high sodium levels. I am of the opinion that with two functioning kidneys, and no hypertension, salt is not a problem for me. I did recently hear of research indicating that it is less your sodium intake as the ratio of sodium to potassium that can cause high blood pressure. It is the only rock that we specifically taste.

pat

I've never gone on a hunting trip, but I do go on 3 or 4 day backpacking trips that can run 25+ miles. I've never had a problem finishing a MH meal by myself. My favorites are chili mac with beef, breakfast scrambles (that I put in burrito shells with hot sauce), and lasagna.

I eat a breakfast MH with coffee early in the morning (most important meal of the day right?) and then cling to a rock so I don't fly into orbit during my morning constitution. What is in that stuff that my body is urgently expelling? Whoa! Then I do pro Bars and Stinger waffles during the day and another heavy MH meal at night to help me sleep. But I'm a big guy, 6' and 230lbs.

Shrek

WKR
I scoff down a MH no problem and often I could down two. Breakfast on the other hand I struggle to get down a MH breakfast skillet. About 3/4 of the way through I find myself just chewing and not swallowing it. I have to force the last bit down or toss it. Beef stroganoff is good ! Chillimac is right behind it. I actually look forward to dinner :)

I don't know what you hip cats are doing on a hunt, but I can barely eat half a mountain house at night after a long day of hunting. I'll eat some oatmeal and a cup of coffee in the am, maybe a granola bar or two during the day, but by dinner I am still not hungry enough to crush an MH like you guys and gals do. Either my metabolism is seriously jacked up or I'm not hunting hard enough.

avodude

Lil-Rokslider
I always eat a full one and so does my wife (she's 140). I like them all except... chicken teri-yucky. Favorites are beef stroganoff and chili mac.