Do yall like merino products?

Ive always wanted to try some merino lightweight camo gear & wanted to see your opionions first, gonna get a hoodie and shirt. Yall like it?

Jbxl20

WKR
Yes. Particularly Darn tough socks everyday. As far as base layers, Different brands have different textures next to skin. I’ve tried a bunch and prefer the first lite stuff. Don’t get me wrong I still use the kuiu, black ovis, icebreaker stuff but the first lite wick hoody is my favorite.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My body runs hot and I am a sweat monster. Wool stays wet longer so I don’t wear Merino except a thin sock over a thin synthetic dress sock and I have a thin sweater as a base layer to go directly over my shirt.

100% of the time I am wearing the same thin synthetic sun hoodie. Any time I hike or move much, from 110 down to 20’s I sweat and will either change my shirt or throw a puffy on to dry it if it is cold.

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
I love it. While hunting, everything that touches my skin is merino wool. I hate the way synthetic stuff smells after it gets the least bit sweaty. I wore merino underwear, socks, and long sleeve shirts (one lightweight and one midweight) on a week long hunt last year. Took two pair of socks and two pair of underwear, rotated daily. Rinsed them out in a creek at night and they were dry by morning. Didn’t smell funky at the end of the week although I was sweating all day.

Article 4

WKR
Worn both synthetic and merino for many years. About 10 years ago after experimenting with both in hot and cold hunting conditions, I gave all my synthetic away and bought nothing but merino.
Better in the hot. Better in the cold. Better when wet. Drys better. Holds less scent.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I love lightweight merino for base layers for sweat control, but not a fan of merino for mid or outer garments. As an insulation layer I've never found them to add much warmth, even 400gm weight. My fleece works much better for that. And as an outer layer, they'll get shredded from my experience.

ledflight

WKR
Honestly if you want to avoid synthetic fibers, I have found cashmere is an excellent mid layer. Good warmth to weight. Much better than merino.

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of people love it, some people absolutely hate the way it sits as a base layer for some reason. It’s great for multi day hunts and doesn’t pick up your body odor like the synthetics do. I love the heavy layers as a base in cold weather.

Oregonboy

WKR
I like it in the winter, but not in the summer. I sweat too much in the summer and early fall and it takes too long to dry. Just like HEREINAZ said, I've also been rocking a sun hoody (Kuiu Valo) which keeps me dryer and more comfortable when active. In the winter, when I'm less likely to sweat, I like Merino.

LuvDog

FNG
I'm a fan of merino. wicks well, dries fairly quickly (not as fast as synthetic), doesn't stink, works in hot and cold and just plain feels better against my skin. I really don't like synthetic shirts unless I'm out for a run and can immediately take it off when I'm done.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I use merino for base and mid layers. Not outer like someone mentioned. I would add, if you go down the merino route, I recommend trying different brands. I find some are more comfortable than others ie less to no itch vs some that feels itchy to me. Icebreaker, smartwool, and ibex work well for me. Kuiu does not unfortunately. I haven't tried other brands so I can't comment. Also, merino still feels good after multiple days backpack hunting. No stink, and I found it retains its qualities better than synthetic.

For reference, I hunt the PNW both wet and dry sides and the SW. I wear merino year round for the reasons people already mentioned. Great stuff!

Merino as base all the way. FL Wick hoody is crazy soft. I really don’t like the way Kuiu feels on my skin.

Darn tough socks all day, every day works awesome.

I have some boxers as well and they are awesome.

No smell like synthetics. Doesn’ dry as fast as synth but there are other trade offs I would rather have.

I have also started moving to bamboo hoodies for heat or cold. Unreal soft, dry about as quick as merino, warm when cold and cool when hot because of the breathability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
loganjames43
Merino as base all the way. FL Wick hoody is crazy soft. I really don’t like the way Kuiu feels on my skin.

Darn tough socks all day, every day works awesome.

I have some boxers as well and they are awesome.

No smell like synthetics. Doesn’ dry as fast as synth but there are other trade offs I would rather have.

I have also started moving to bamboo hoodies for heat or cold. Unreal soft, dry about as quick as merino, warm when cold and cool when hot because of the breathability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah, a while ago i bought a merino wool hoodie from a company called duckworth, was $175, torn it to shreds look borderline homless but atleast im warm.

I wear Darn Tough wool socks year round. I wear Black Ovis and FL merino base layers most of the year when its super hot at which point I switch over to Simms sun hoodies.