Do western hunters long for eastern hunts

Donjuan

WKR
I Cant help but ponder this from my few years of studying and learning in preparation to hunt out west. Any of you guys who live out west have dream hunts that can only be found here in the East or South?
I don't know if Kansas counts as out west, but if I could hike up that Appalachian mountain back in PA and see the sunrise with my late father one more time I would

IdahoElk

WKR
Tree stand white tail hunting is about as interesting as watching bass masters. A moose in Maine or turkeys in the hardwoods would be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you ever been in the woods when the Whitetails are in full rut? it's not boring at all. After months of climbing up and down mountain after mountain chasing Elk and Muleys it's actually relaxing to sit and have the action come to you.

woody6899

FNG
Have you ever been in the woods when the Whitetails are in full rut? it's not boring at all. After months of climbing up and down mountain after mountain chasing Elk and Muleys it's actually relaxing to sit and have the action come to you.

Nope. I’m ok living my life assuming white tail hunting is just like on TV. Feed a deer for 5 years and go out and shoot it from your deer stand. I’m ok hiking 12 miles a day chasing an elk that I have never seen and haven’t named.
Besides I have way to many other expensive hobbies to start a new one.
Hope you understand I am mostly joking. Lol.

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
Grew up in the Midwest and then lived in the mountains for 10 years. The mountain states are awesome. When you go hunting it is a trip, usually for a few days. It is amazing country. I recently moved back to the Midwest. I do love chasing whitetail with a total of 10 tags in two states. It is nice to get out after work and get a hunt in. Plus I’m close enough to get an elk hunt every year. It is all good in my book. I just consider myself lucky that I can do them both most years.

idcuda

WKR
I grew up in PA in the pre-Insta, pre-Facepage, pre-Meateater days. There was no Kuiu, Sitka, or First Lite. There was no reason to think hunting from a stump at 04:30 in 15-degree weather was any less inspiring than a 2,000 foot climb in the Rockies. When I was growing up, I looked forward to the opener as much as I now anticipate the kickoff of hunting season in Idaho. It's all relative. And, yes, I still look forward to going back someday; meeting all the guys at the hunting cabin and drinking whiskey, telling stories, and hearing about the monster white tail on the wall that was killed in a bygone era. There was camaraderie - and probably not so much of a pissing match, aside from some ribbing for the shirt-tail that was cut off the year before.

Would I move back for the hunting? No way. Do I look forward to going back for some hunting? Hell, yeah.

vanish

WKR
I'm really glad people are not taking for granted what they have.

I still like to hunt whitetails. It's in my blood. The only reason I would head back east to do it is the camaraderie, and frankly for me that is dead. The camps are sold, the OGs have passed on and the open lands are now leased.

I've had way more fun whitetail hunting west of the Mississippi.

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
All of my hunting has been done in Virginia or West Virginia. I don't (so far) bow hunt, but I've killed a lot of deer without ever having been in a tree stand.
+1
Just because you hunt in the East it doesn’t mean you’re stuck in a tree the whole time.
Probably only 10% of my hunting is done from a stand or blind. I prefer to sit on the ground or still hunt most of the time, even with a bow. It’s harder for sure but it can be done.

I actually do miss it for the fun times with friends and the wild sections of the Appalachia’s. I cut my teeth on whitetail in Tennessee and the smokies are no joke. That was some of the hardest earned animals I’ve ever taken. I will be going back for a hunt this thanksgiving because I want to do it one more time before CWD ruins it all.
Also, I’ve never sat in a tree stand.
One note. I moved to CO over 20 years ago and have never thought about moving back. This place just works for me.

Finch

WKR
I grew up and have hunted the mountains in Virginia my whole life. After experiencing elk hunting out west and constantly being on the move, it gets harder and harder to sit in a tree stand. That's probably why I find myself still hunting more and more. However, it is pretty difficult to move around a lot in the mountains on a calm morning when the leaves are like corn flakes. You ALMOST have to be in a stand.

What's considered by geographers the most mountainous (least flat) state in the US? Hint: it's east of the Mississippi.

Yes, hunting the same foodplot the rest of my life is my vision of purgatory. The perception that there is no active, wilderness, or adventure hunting in the east is completely bogus.

Having grown up here I'll never not enjoy whitetail rut hunting. Or the tradition and camaraderie of deer camp.

I can see not really having the desire to hunt the East. Not everyone can shake it. Few of the best experiences here have been glamorized to the extent of the fancypants western boys #stayhumble. A lot of western hunting is quite easy by comparison. We certainly don't have the diversity of species or the most high glamour species that take 37 years to draw or 5 figures to buy or moving to third world living conditions in the Arctic circle.

No reason to hate treestand hunting. Yeah, we have trees and brush here and its usually the right tool to get the job done. To me its less boring than glassing.
Hmm... elkyinzer your post seems confusing.

You said some crazy shit like, "not everyone can shake it", and "a lot of western hunting is quite easy by comparison", and my favorite "most high glamour species that take 37 years to draw".

Lets look at each of your statements:

"not everyone can shake it" This is baffling. Eastern hunting is WAY easier than Western hunting physically. I know this for sure because I live in VA and try to find hunting partners that will/can travel out West. I've gone hunting out West with 4 eastern guys and none could handle the rigors of Western hunting. None have tried to go back. It was just too difficult for them. My current hunting partner lives in NM.

"a lot of western hunting is quite easy by comparison" Again, you're not making sense. Take CO's archery elk success rate (about 10%) and compare it to PA's archery deer success rate (I'd guess over 50% but don't care enough right now to look it up). Or, if you're adverse to actual data you could also just take a look at the TV hunters. They're in shape out West and generally overweight in the east. After all, a 1/4 mile walk to the tree stand just isn't that difficult. And eastern deer densities are WAY higher than elk or any other animal in the Western states.

"most high glamour species that take 37 years to draw" What's really funny about the last one is that your handle has "elk" in it but you live (presumably) in PA. Do you enjoy the tradition of hunting elk every year in PA? I doubt it because you can't legally hunt elk in PA every year. In 37 years you'd be unlikely to draw. Oh look, PA has a "high glamour species that takes 37 years to draw". You're simply hypocritical.

The Western states have much more to offer than the eastern states for hunting. Of course the eastern states have some good hunting, but overall it compares poorly.

In case it matters I've bowhunted 30+ years in MD, PA, NY, VA, WV, and AL. Also bowhunted in CO, WY, ID, NM, AZ, and NV. I've lived on a farm in VA for a good many years.

One last caveat: the eastern states have WAY better fishing. See my post #26 on page 2.

Also, if any Western guys want to experience eastern offshore fishing maybe we could take each other fishing/hunting? I'd be interested in bowhunting antelope. PM if you're interested.

Last edited:

teesquare

FNG
I was born and raised in the West....but have spent the last 20+ years in North Carolina. As of yet...I have never hunted east of the Miss. And I hunt every year. Maybe it's just me...but I like the open country, and friendly attitudes of the west vs the east.

elkyinzer

WKR
Hmm... elkyinzer your post seems confusing.

You said some crazy shit like, "not everyone can shake it", and "a lot of western hunting is quite easy by comparison", and my favorite "most high glamour species that take 37 years to draw".

Lets look at each of your statements:

"not everyone can shake it" This is baffling. Eastern hunting is WAY easier than Western hunting physically. I know this for sure because I live in VA and try to find hunting partners that will/can travel out West. I've gone hunting out West with 4 eastern guys and none could handle the rigors of Western hunting. None have tried to go back. It was just too difficult for them. My current hunting partner lives in NM.

"a lot of western hunting is quite easy by comparison" Again, you're not making sense. Take CO's archery elk success rate (about 10%) and compare it to PA's archery deer success rate (I'd guess over 50% but don't care enough right now to look it up). Or, if you're adverse to actual data you could also just take a look at the TV hunters. They're in shape out West and generally overweight in the east. After all, a 1/4 mile walk to the tree stand just isn't that difficult. And eastern deer densities are WAY higher than elk or any other animal in the Western states.

"most high glamour species that take 37 years to draw" What's really funny about the last one is that your handle has "elk" in it but you live (presumably) in PA. Do you enjoy the tradition of hunting elk every year in PA? I doubt it because you can't legally hunt elk in PA every year. In 37 years you'd be unlikely to draw. Oh look, PA has a "high glamour species that takes 37 years to draw". You're simply hypocritical.

The Western states have much more to offer than the eastern states for hunting. Of course the eastern states have some good hunting, but overall it compares poorly.

In case it matters I've bowhunted 30+ years in MD, PA, NY, VA, WV, and AL. Also bowhunted in CO, WY, ID, NM, AZ, and NV. I've lived on a farm in VA for a good many years.

One last caveat: the eastern states have WAY better fishing. See my post #26 on page 2.

Also, if any Western guys want to experience eastern offshore fishing maybe we could take each other fishing/hunting? I'd be interested in bowhunting antelope. PM if you're interested.

I would suggest you don't take yourself so seriously and reread my post. Cheers, broseph good luck to you.

RobertsA

FNG
No hunts, inshore fishing for reds in FL gets me going.

Look up Pensacola bay running of the bull reds or fort Morgan bull reds run in Alabama. I live in this area and it is some of the best fishing you can experience in late October- early November

I'm kinda surprised no one has mentioned grouse and woodcock hunting in the upper midwest. I Would never want an October to pass by without getting out and swimming through the grouse woods, hunting over a quality dog.

elkyinzer

WKR
Dang, if your post was sarcastic and I missed it then I need to put myself in time out. Cheers to you!

Maybe more satirical than sarcastic.

I don't know if its social media or what, but there is an element of hunting culture that deems all but the most superlative hunting experiences somehow unworthy. Maybe its just dudes and their egos. Social media definitely amplifies it. Either way that attitude really annoys me.

Hunting is hunting, I don't care when/where/what, I'm game. I'll chase squirrels with a .22 and have a blast. It's a hell of a lot better than banging on my keyboard at work. I look at it like, hey, 10's are a blast for flings when you're young when it comes time to settle down no one wants to deal with their shit. Western hunting is a 10. A blast, but the travel and expense and all the bullshit with tags and draws is just a hassle. Eastern hunting may be an 8, but that doesn't make it not fun! That's the kinda fun you want to settle down with for a lifetime.