Do I need to upgrade my Pentax DCF WP?

gostovp

WKR
I have a pair of Pentax DCF WP 8x42 Binos ( the ones made by Asahi Optics out of Japan). I’ve had these binos for years and have served me well in the east, and still seem to be a good piece of glass. My archery elk hunt this fall might include more glassing and less dark timber. Do I need to upgrade to something in the 10x50 class? My budget would be 1000 to 1500, but at that price point is my money better spent elsewhere given what I already have? Am I stupid to want to carry a lightweight tripod and use my Pentax on them as glassing bino’s ( is 8x enough power)?

Those exact Pentax were my first binoculars except in 12x50. There are so many options out there that are SO much better. I have swarovskis and meoptas now, but I had vortex vipers for a while and when I compared the two I just started laughing at how inferior the Pentax are. In fact we still have a running joke in my family about how long we used the Pentax…even vortex diamondbacks are WAY better.
For that price range, I’d suggest meopta meostar 10x42. Great all around tripod bino that is also great to hand hold. They’ll blow you away compared to the pentax

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
I don’t know if I would agree the Vortex Diamondback are way better…my son has those and I’ve looked through them and I thought they actually pretty ‘meh’ and weren’t as nearly good as the DCF’s

OdinIII

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe…. I know I still like my 10x DCF WP’s.

I think the bigger question would be do you need to upgrade to 10x Bino’s? Others have more experience but I know for me that I think 10x is the sweet spot between visibility and stability when hand held.

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
8x are totally fine for elk. And 8x on a tripod works great.

Wrench

WKR
There's certainly been some huge improvements compared to your glass. Can you stand glassing for more than 30mins at a time?

I moved from the pentax to leica bn's and began to see things that I was missing. I choose 8x42 myself. I do have the 10x meopta mentioned as well as 15x Swarovski....but I simply prefer 8x because it buys me fov, less mirage and easier to hold.....but everyone has a different opinion.

I like the warm look leica brings, some prefer the cool Swarovski image.....it's one of the most subjective and polarizing topics on the net.

Don't be afraid to look at nikon hg's too. They are HIGHLY under mentioned.

I traded my Pentax after my first elk hunt in CO after looking thru some Zeiss Conquests and Steiner HX's. I was amazed at the difference. Ending up getting some Maven B1.2 10x42 and B2 9x45. Been using them since!!!

JAC43

FNG
It is crazy how much optics have improved over the years, even the budget Chinese manufactured ones. It probably doesn't qualify as a need as your binos will be good to go, but don't look through a new set until after your hunt unless you just have to spend the bucks.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
I have looked through various high end binoculars… actually looked through some Swarovski NL pures this weekend… beautiful glass but out of my price range … what I’m wanting to do is take my glass with me and compare to some models, only problem is I likey won’t be able to try them outside and at low light… which I have found is where the alpha glass really really shows it’s value. Buying boots and binoculars… two of the hardest things but most important lol

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'll just say that I don't use my bino's much for archery elk season, but I hunt in the timber. I would say it isn't a "need" to upgrade, but more of a "want" if that's what you want to do.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
Thanks for the responses. After looking through a bunch of 1K range 10x42, and some EL 10x42 and some UHD 10x43, and continued research I’ve decided I want to stay with something in the 8x category. All the 10x stuff when handheld wasn’t any clearer because of the amplified hand shake in the binos. Unfortunately I can’t get my hands on much of anything in 8x to do comparisons.

recommend buying a used porro design from Swarovski, the 10x40w is exemplary. Light transmission is ridiculous in the Habicht porro line. A brand new one is around 1K mark.

You get nice 3D image rendering, bright accurate colors and superb on axis sharpness.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
I'll just say that I don't use my bino's much for archery elk season, but I hunt in the timber. I would say it isn't a "need" to upgrade, but more of a "want" if that's what you want to do.
This is exactly what I’m weighing… is a bin upgrade really needed…
I was using my Pentax to glass cows in the farmers pen that is 660 yards away and had no problem seeing them, and would have no problem telling if it was a legal bull I would say out to 1000 yards