Do I Need Nicer Glass?

Marble

WKR
I plan on using the Wiser Precision Quick Stix + Third Leg for this trip. Still deciding on which pan head, mainly debating weight/price.
I'm not familiar with that. Hope it works.

I bought the Tricer BC tripod. Compact, super light and works well with whatever I've put on it.

Report back after the hunt with your experiences. If you really enjoy and plan on hunting elk forever, be discerning in your choices when it comes to gear. Often, guys buy better, but subpar, equipment and then end up buying it again. In hindsight, I would saved a lot of money by waiting and buying what I really wanted to begin with and making do with what I had.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

No need to be rude. Read a little farther and I clarified what I meant. Good luck this season to you
Sorry man, it was meant mostly in jest.

I heard a lot of employees in sporting goods stores back east recommending that newer hunters dump their binocular money into their rifle scope for dual use.

Last edited:
OP
c00p

c00p

FNG
Sorry man, it was meant mostly in jest.

I heard a lot of employees in sporting goods stores back east recommend that newer hunters dump their binocular money into their rifle scope for dual use.
No I am more worried at being limited with only cheap 10x binos at being able to accurately spot anything. The scope I would clearly use once I have located an elk. The issue is being able to locate elk using the cheaper binos, hence my original question, do I need nicer glass. Surprising how many people seriously think I was considering continuously panning the horizon with my rifle. If that was my plan I would’ve have asked if I need better binos😂.

MtnW

WKR
If my bino glass is such bad quality and I don’t end up buying a nicer pair, why would my scope not be an alternative?

cOOp
Really??
Before worrying about optics , I recommend you go through some serious HUNTER SAFETY PROGAM(S) !!

Maz7869

FNG
If you google binocular rental companies you can find good pairs for $50+ per week, lensrentals is a good way to try sony lenses for cameras I believe they do binoculars as well. It may be the way to go you'll be set this year to see whether or not this is for you and can save for better gear next year.

OP
c00p

c00p

FNG
If you google binocular rental companies you can find good pairs for $50+ per week, lensrentals is a good way to try sony lenses for cameras I believe they do binoculars as well. It may be the way to go you'll be set this year to see whether or not this is for you and can save for better gear next year.
That’s a great idea.

If my bino glass is such bad quality and I don’t end up buying a nicer pair, why would my scope not be an alternative?
Imagine looking through your binos and seeing someone looking at you through a scope. 😱. Dont point your rifle until a target is available. If your scope gives you better info you can decide not to shoot

bayou0509

FNG
Classified Approved
I brought an average pair or 10x42 vortex bino's(don't remember the exact model, but nothing high end like razor UHD) out west before and quickly found myself making a 2 hour drive to the nearest town with a local sporting good store and bought a pair of Maven B series 12×50. They were night and day different in terms of clarity and the ability to quickly focus at various distances. Consistent with some of the legit post above, I considered them a long term investment.

You will be fine glassing for elk with the Binos you have. Especially if you aren’t trying to find a “trophy” sized animal just a legal one.

Neilbob

FNG
Classified Approved
I am in a similar situation with cheap vortex 10s. I hunted Colorado last year and could not tell if a group of elk in sparse timber had a bull from about 1,200 yards. Although it was apparent one was much larger body size. Ended up being a decent 5x6, but we had to hike down a canyon to figure it out. I plan on upgrading soon.