Do I need more clothing items? Sept CO Elk hunt

Hello all,

Forgive the noob-ish question. I’ve been reading thread after thread but am curious to your opinion regarding my attire selection for my first ever CO archery hunt.

I plan on going the first week-ish. So far I’ve acquired the following:

Bottoms:
Sitka Traverse pant
Patagonia long underwear (thin what I use snowboarding and with an extra layer for previous rifle elk “hikes” I’ve taken my rifle on)
Cheap cycling rain pants (worst case use)

Tops:
Sitka Mountain Evo (new for this year)
Cotopaxi fuego hooded down jacket (14oz)
First Lite wick aerolite base layer (hooded)
Some Patagonia performance mid-layer/thicker base layer in black
Patagonia Houdini ultra thin wind barrier style layer
Cheap rain gear jacket for worst case use.

I plan on camping near the truck and going on day hunts on foot.

What mid-layer jacket (Sitka heavyweight jacket?) or vest (Sitka preferably) would you say I’m missing? If a vest should I go kelvin aerolite or jet stream?

Thanks for your replies and opinions. I’m sure I’m overthinking it but this is my 3rd year, I’m motivated to go the distance and appreciate having nice gear to help.

OP
N
Ah forgot to add. I have a black north face thermoball hoodie that worked well as a mid layer during rifle.

Marble

WKR
For a vest, I would look around for an off brand puffy vest that scrunches down to nothing. Costco has these occasionally for $30-40. But during September I haven't had a need for the vest in a few years.

I'm not sure exactly what each piece of clothing you have is. I usually have multiple long sleeve camo shirts so I can wash them after they get somewhat dirty. Just bring a bucket and use creek water if available.

Suggestions

2 pairs of pants. Non insulated
Puffy w/hood
Mid weight hooded jacket
Long sleeve camo shirts, some with hoods
T shirt or long sleeve base layer.
Gators of you think you'll get snow
Lots of socks
Thin gloves and warm gloves.
Rain gear

You pretty much could hunt any season, anywhere in the US with this list. It all varies per individual. So you'll have to figure out what works best for you.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For 95+% of my September elk hunting I'm wearing lightweight merino base top and bottom, my Microtex Lite shirt and pants, maybe my microfleece mock-T, and also gaiters. Then maybe a heavier fleece or possibly a jacket for nights around camp. But then you have those possible rogue systems like in early Sep 2020 where we got 6+ inches of snow and it got cold. Since you're truck camping just keep the heavier stuff there and available if you want it.

Gerbdog

WKR
Yea i'll agree on gaiters - ive actually gone to pull over full leg waterproof on the bottom in my day pack now up from gaiters - i end up in thick brush in my hunting spot usually first thing in the morning and with the dew ive soaked myself head to toe just getting up the mountain before daylight. Makes for a rough day. Thunderstorms in the afternoons are not uncommon out west in September either so its good to have the gear available and sit up under a tree. Last year had a little spike walk right by the tree i was under while it was raining.

Most days i just end up in my first layer of camo (t shirt) - but September mountain weather can and will be just about anything so at least have layers and layer and layers back at the truck. The goal is stay out hunting as long as you can - cant hunt elk at home (well most of us cant).

Yep, gaiters. I have KUIU, but lots of other good ones out there.

Here is my typical early season attire:

Kuiu attacks or Prana Stretch Zion
Kuiu 145 to 210 weight merino top, which one based on forecast
Kuiu attack vest
I don't wear base layers on my legs, unless it is really cold. Gaiters typically keep my legs warm enough.
I have a set of cabelas space rain for raingear, but they are at end of life. Will pick up something new next year.

I have a Columbia puffy I throw in the pack, or a KUIU guide jacket if stopping a lot and glassing.
Some sort of light glove for early morning, Beanie if it's cold, or throw it over a baseball cap early morning till I get warmed up.

Typically we run anywhere from 10k feet to 12.5K.

I overheat pretty easily so tend to stay on the lighter side.

h2so4

WKR
I second a beanie for mornings/evening and I always have a baseball hat on during the day. I usually also take lightweight gloves- as my hands seem to get cold very easily. I take a medium weight glove for the evenings and just leave them at camp.

OP
N
For a vest, I would look around for an off brand puffy vest that scrunches down to nothing. Costco has these occasionally for $30-40. But during September I haven't had a need for the vest in a few years.

I'm not sure exactly what each piece of clothing you have is. I usually have multiple long sleeve camo shirts so I can wash them after they get somewhat dirty. Just bring a bucket and use creek water if available.

Suggestions

2 pairs of pants. Non insulated
Puffy w/hood
Mid weight hooded jacket
Long sleeve camo shirts, some with hoods
T shirt or long sleeve base layer.
Gators of you think you'll get snow
Lots of socks
Thin gloves and warm gloves.
Rain gear

You pretty much could hunt any season, anywhere in the US with this list. It all varies per individual. So you'll have to figure out what works best for you.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
thanks for the reply Marble,

i'll have addition non camo pants, i'll be able to wash mine if needed and let them dry out one day this way. Hope I can get away with the one pair i have for this year.

i only have long sleeve baselayers (2 in camo and 2-3 solids).

forgot to put that i have a pair of gaiters.

i've got lightweight and midweight darn tough hunting/hiking socks. Good to go there.

for gloves i have the Sitka Traverse gloves, hope those are fine for sept.

OP
N
For 95+% of my September elk hunting I'm wearing lightweight merino base top and bottom, my Microtex Lite shirt and pants, maybe my microfleece mock-T, and also gaiters. Then maybe a heavier fleece or possibly a jacket for nights around camp. But then you have those possible rogue systems like in early Sep 2020 where we got 6+ inches of snow and it got cold. Since you're truck camping just keep the heavier stuff there and available if you want it.
thanks 5MilesBack,
appreciate your reply. Would you mind sharing what merino bottoms you prefer? After reading that first lite is the "softest or most compatible" merino for most, i went with a new FL wick hoody as my new merino top. They only have 250weight bottoms if i'm not mistaken.. Wonder if that would be too warm. I do have a pair of patagonia synthetic thin (150-180 equivalent) bottoms.

OP
N
Learned that one the hard way. Turns out walking thru wet grass even with good boots, the water will go through water repellent pants and wick down your socks enough you can wring water out of the socks.
thanks for your reply 11boo, yikes i can't imagine.. I've got some gaiters, but could probably waterproof my boots.. Should look into that pronto...

OP
N
Yea i'll agree on gaiters - ive actually gone to pull over full leg waterproof on the bottom in my day pack now up from gaiters - i end up in thick brush in my hunting spot usually first thing in the morning and with the dew ive soaked myself head to toe just getting up the mountain before daylight. Makes for a rough day. Thunderstorms in the afternoons are not uncommon out west in September either so its good to have the gear available and sit up under a tree. Last year had a little spike walk right by the tree i was under while it was raining.

Most days i just end up in my first layer of camo (t shirt) - but September mountain weather can and will be just about anything so at least have layers and layer and layers back at the truck. The goal is stay out hunting as long as you can - cant hunt elk at home (well most of us cant).
thanks for your reply Gerbdog, appreciate it. One thing i have 0 of is camo short sleeve tshirts.. maybe thats something to grab one of... Raingear is frustrating. Some of Sitka's most expensive options yet i would probably use them the least.. Do you know of any budget or value rain gear? Looks like the cabelas space rain is on clearnace but out of my sizes.

OP
N
Yep, gaiters. I have KUIU, but lots of other good ones out there.

Here is my typical early season attire:

Kuiu attacks or Prana Stretch Zion
Kuiu 145 to 210 weight merino top, which one based on forecast
Kuiu attack vest
I don't wear base layers on my legs, unless it is really cold. Gaiters typically keep my legs warm enough.
I have a set of cabelas space rain for raingear, but they are at end of life. Will pick up something new next year.

I have a Columbia puffy I throw in the pack, or a KUIU guide jacket if stopping a lot and glassing.
Some sort of light glove for early morning, Beanie if it's cold, or throw it over a baseball cap early morning till I get warmed up.

Typically we run anywhere from 10k feet to 12.5K.

I overheat pretty easily so tend to stay on the lighter side.
thanks for your reply sodaksooner, appreciate it. Sounds like i should be ok with what i have to match kinda what you are running. What rain gear are you eying for replacement? Probably KUIU huh? ;). Don't blame ya. Decent strategy to get value gear for that first and then based on how much you use it you can "invest" in higher end stuff.

ive got a thin merino beanie, a KUIU verde flexfit hat (new for this year, excited to try it out, seems super breathable).

OP
N
I second a beanie for mornings/evening and I always have a baseball hat on during the day. I usually also take lightweight gloves- as my hands seem to get cold very easily. I take a medium weight glove for the evenings and just leave them at camp.
thanks for your reply h2s04, ive got a thin merino beanie (gray), and a Sitka light/medium-ish weight camo beanie. I suppose i'll pack a thicker merino solid beanie that i have laying around if it gets crazy cold for some reason.

Gerbdog

WKR
thanks for your reply Gerbdog, appreciate it. One thing i have 0 of is camo short sleeve tshirts.. maybe thats something to grab one of... Raingear is frustrating. Some of Sitka's most expensive options yet i would probably use them the least.. Do you know of any budget or value rain gear? Looks like the cabelas space rain is on clearnace but out of my sizes.
I normally wear lightweight longsleeve camo over a T shirt. Keeps the stink off the camo shirt for a couple days and i can change the T shirt while using the camo a day or two in a row.

Solid rain gear at a budget... hmmm.... thats tough.. not the budget part, but mostly what you want from it part.... if its JUST for sitting out rain, you just need something lightweight, doesnt have to be camo, and can be noisy. Stuff it in the pack for a storm rolling in. Theres tons of "backpacking" rain jackets out there, just check somewhere like Sierra Trading post or... even a disposable poncho.

If you wanna get something water proof, camo, and quiet (not plastic sounding) its gonna cost a bit more... but i'd check on used sites like poshmark, ebay, facebook marketplace, etc.

Raingear for your legs? just get a pair of frogg toggs pants off amazon, like 20 bucks, they make em in camo to. Theyll keep water out, get super hot to wear, but if your just trying to get through a thunder storm? Perfect.

Raingear is a frustrating need. Don't want to drop $200ea on a set that I might not use at all or maybe for just a few hours. But having it is necessary. I had used a pair of Cabela's space rain pants, but they are excessively loud when walking. I found a solid olive drab color on clearance from REI earlier in the year that I picked up. Looks quality, wears good. And I'm only $100 in on the set. I figure if I'm only gonna wear it in a rain storm, the solid dark color won't hurt me much. PS: In a different climate such as Alaska or pacific northwest rainforest, I'd approach Raingear a little more seriously.

Chilly in the morning, I only put on a beanie or thicker gloves if I was riding an ATV pre sunrise. Quick to shed it when hiking. Same for a thicker jacket or puffy. Unless there is an extreme forecast, it'll stay at the truck when dayhunting. Lots of Socks. Bring 1 1/2 times as many pair of socks as you expect to use.

My go to daily setup this year:
Bottom: Kuiu attack Pants with 3/4 zipoff merino baselayer

Top: Lightweight Merino Baselayer, Pelaton 200 Hoodie, Kuiu Guide All Season Jacket

Gaiters are First-Lite.
Merino baselayers are a mix of Cabela's Instinct and some Kuiu oulet
Thin Gloves, Thinner Beanie, Raingear, and Maybe a lightweight Cabelas Puffy Vest in my pack.