Do Hunters Effect Antler Genetics

WRO

WKR
I was making an example of confirmation bias.

You could reference the studies that show antler point restrictions don't do anything. "Cull breeders" aren't a thing.

States issue "management hunts" to increase opportunity.

f58d508518b067d7a1e176efd6945ded.jpg

Exhibit A : cull breeder.

9 year old Buck that’s never been anything but a fork.

How many mule deer have you been a part of? How many states? How much long term private mule deer management have you been a part of?

You obviously know Google, but do you have much real experience?

S.Clancy

WKR
f58d508518b067d7a1e176efd6945ded.jpg

Exhibit A : cull breeder.

9 year old Buck that’s never been anything but a fork.

How many mule deer have you been a part of? How many states? How much long term private mule deer management have you been a part of?

You obviously know Google, but do you have much real experience?
I know data and science.

Mule deer bucks, IDK, 50, prob more, I would have to sit down and count.

Here is the difference between your personal experience and actual data. Are you counting total number of deer every year and getting a reasonable population estimate? Are you doing seasonal habitat production estimates to get a sense of available nutrition? Transects for plant diversity and classifying all those as preferred forage? Are you aging every single deer? Etc, etc....

There are so many confounding variables that you are unlikely to control them all which makes any data you are observing (that also likely has personal bias from you) not statistically relevant.

You may be observing a genetic pattern where you are. I'm just saying there is no data, outside of anecdotal, that supports those claims.

WRO

WKR
I know data and science.

Mule deer bucks, IDK, 50, prob more, I would have to sit down and count.

Here is the difference between your personal experience and actual data. Are you counting total number of deer every year and getting a reasonable population estimate? Are you doing seasonal habitat production estimates to get a sense of available nutrition? Transects for plant diversity and classifying all those as preferred forage? Are you aging every single deer? Etc, etc....

There are so many confounding variables that you are unlikely to control them all which makes any data you are observing (that also likely has personal bias from you) not statistically relevant.

You may be observing a genetic pattern where you are. I'm just saying there is no data, outside of anecdotal, that supports those claims.

Yes, not an exact count but a reasonable estimate.

No, habitat has been stable and improving with controlled burns and juniper removal, beyond that there’s 600 acres of alfalfa which is relatively stable food source.

The ones that die get aged, beyond that there’s shed history on some deer that’s over a decade long.

You’re entitled to your religions opinion, I’m not arrogant enough to think that if it’s not from the cult of science to not think it’s real.

I’ve seen enough junk peer reviewed papers that I have little faith in most of it.

I’ve seen enough science papers saying predators aren’t the issue, then seeing the results when control is cut vs where it’s not I’d pretty stark on population trends.

Last edited:

AHayes111

FNG
Here are two sheds from bucks that lived on the hill behind where I grew up. The old gray antler is from the late 50's and the other is from 2004. The buck from the 50's had a typical frame that netted over 200 inches. I am confident that the other buck would have also had a 200 inch frame if he had lived past the age of four. I don't think it is coincidence that the two biggest bucks to ever come off of that hill in the last 60+ years have antler characteristics that are so similar. These are not the only examples of the same characteristics showing up in the same place from the biggest deer I have seen in the area.
DSCN5215.JPG

S.Clancy

WKR
Yes, not an exact count but a reasonable estimate.

No, habitat has been stable and improving with controlled burns and juniper removal, beyond that there’s 600 acres of alfalfa which is relatively stable food source.

The ones that die get aged, beyond that there’s shed history on some deer that’s over a decade long.

You’re entitled to your religions opinion, I’m not arrogant enough to think that if it’s not from the cult of science to not think it’s real.

I’ve seen enough junk peer reviewed papers that I have little faith in most of it.

I’ve seen enough science papers saying predators aren’t the issue, then seeing the results when control is cut vs where it’s not I’d pretty stark on population trends.
So you are improving habitat and seeing deer with improved antler configurations.....

You can see how the habitat improvement confounds your "culling" results, right?

chicoredneck

Lil-Rokslider
Data has shown in both whitetail and mule deer that "antler genetics" are primarily related to in vitro and maternal condition. Kevin Monteith has a great study on whitetail in South Dakota. Whether you want to believe it or not, genetics play little role.
Tell that to the guys breeding and raising giant deer on deer farms.

It has been scientifically proven that good feed and a healthy fawn at birth do contribute to larger antler growth, but that’s one piece of many factors. Genetics is still a major factor.

Deer farms have shown that genetic selection absolutely affects antler size, but your ability to achieve a bucks full potential can be hampered by poor nutrition.

WRO

WKR
So you are improving habitat and seeing deer with improved antler configurations.....

You can see how the habitat improvement confounds your "culling" results, right?

Nope, habitat was done ongoing for the last 20+ years, culling shit bucks the last 10. We would’ve seen habitat have its effect much quicker.

The burn was a decade ago. No change in antler configuration after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S.Clancy

WKR
Tell that to the guys breeding and raising giant deer on deer farms.

It has been scientifically proven that good feed and a healthy fawn at birth do contribute to larger antler growth, but that’s one piece of many factors. Genetics is still a major factor.

Deer farms have shown that genetic selection absolutely affects antler size, but your ability to achieve a bucks full potential can be hampered by poor nutrition.
Deer farms are essentially force-feeding deer nutrients, then choosing the highest responders as "breeders".
My point is nutrition is 99% of the outcome, selective breeding maybe 1%. That is just hyperbole math, I'm not sure of the true breakdown obviously, but I would bet my nuts on it being at least 90% to 10%.

wesfromky

WKR

S.Clancy

WKR
Nope, habitat was done ongoing for the last 20+ years, culling shit bucks the last 10. We would’ve seen habitat have its effect much quicker.
If your habitat work was effective. Are you also tracking harvested deer BW?

How many deer are you removing in your culling efforts? Just bucks, or also does?
The burn was a decade ago. No change in antler configuration after.
Perhaps your instance is truly genetically limited, but chances are it's not. It is possible tho

WRO

WKR
If your habitat work was effective. Are you also tracking harvested deer BW?

How many deer are you removing in your culling efforts? Just bucks, or also does?

Perhaps your instance is truly genetically limited, but chances are it's not. It is possible tho

Not tracking body weight, it’s more age dependent as the feed is relatively stable.

No does, there’s not enough left to justify killing mule deer does in 99% if their home range.

Genetics make a huge difference in almost every animal in size and traits expressed. If they didn’t matter every mutt could win an all age field trial with the right feed, and that’s not a realistic scenario. So to say that deer antler size and point count have nothing to do with genetics is a laughable stretch at best.

EdP

WKR
So to say that deer antler size and point count have nothing to do with genetics is a laughable stretch at best.
I tend to agree with this. Otherwise, why would bucks have antlers at all? Growing antlers stresses bucks. The more energy diverted to antlers the more stress. If it didn't provide an increased likelihood of breeding, it is not a trait that would be sustained. All the counter arguments seem to be saying that large antlers are totally random rather than genetic. What other species would they make that argument for? Long legs for giraffes is purely by chance? Large size for male lions is just luck?

There certainly could be a genetic bottleneck, but there could also be confirmation bias. Just like when you hunt a unit where you can't shoot spikes, you tend to take note of each spike whereas you may not in a unit where any buck/bull is legal. That is the problem with anecdotal data, it is rife with different statistical bias.
We are seeing 40% of the bucks represented by mature 2x3 or 2x2. Here is a buck I killed for example.

Attachments

• 20221027_175607.jpg
    20221027_175607.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 3