Do any of you have a Rig just to use in the Mountains

Wrench

WKR
I run a 80series / lx450 with a 2" lift. I can do 60mph on the worst forest service road and always feel in control. This thing can turn around on just about anything too.

Weldor

WKR
This is my dilemma too as I don't like putting my truck through some of the forest roads. Been looking at XJ Cherokees or probably a Landcruiser/Lexus GL or GX470 because of the better ride for my wife if we go for a ride somewhere. Always liked the Toyota extra cabs from the 90s though too. Insurance rates keep rising here though which I have to figure in my budget.
Landcruiers and lexus are like gold down here. Used to be cheap before Western hunter magazine.

TaperPin

WKR
In my younger years I grew up with a 1950’s vintage Willys jeep being the hunting rig that got dusted off for sage brush hunts - it seemed ideal and in my 20’s picked up a similar jeep and puttered around mountain jeep trails after elk, or sage for antelope. It just feels vintage and seemed right - like cooking bacon in a cast iron pan.

Then along came my friend with a Ford Bronco and my view totally changed. The extra room and creature comforts were really nice - definitely a better rig than the old jeep.

Probably as many friends way back when had short bed full size trucks in the family as the go-to mountain rig.

What I keep running into, is justifying a vehicle new enough to be reliable, to just sit and not be driven. Right now my old 3/4 ton pickup sits until a special occasion comes up, but I don’t see it as super reliable, mainly because of the poor quality aftermarket parts that fail regularly.

Ucsdryder

WKR
In my younger years I grew up with a 1950’s vintage Willys jeep being the hunting rig that got dusted off for sage brush hunts - it seemed ideal and in my 20’s picked up a similar jeep and puttered around mountain jeep trails after elk, or sage for antelope. It just feels vintage and seemed right - like cooking bacon in a cast iron pan.

Then along came my friend with a Ford Bronco and my view totally changed. The extra room and creature comforts were really nice - definitely a better rig than the old jeep.

Probably as many friends way back when had short bed full size trucks in the family as the go-to mountain rig.

What I keep running into, is justifying a vehicle new enough to be reliable, to just sit and not be driven. Right now my old 3/4 ton pickup sits until a special occasion comes up, but I don’t see it as super reliable, mainly because of the poor quality aftermarket parts that fail regularly.
This ^^^

Last thing I want is some beater to break down 20 miles from pavement and 100 miles from town.

Have a old truck I specifically take to a couple trail heads that access areas id otherwise not get to. The paint is vastly gone, dents, dings… well seasoned.….Lack of funding to maintain the roads is a thing…Work too hard to ruin my main truck nor do i want to treat it that way and yes its a tool yet after trashing my older truck wont to it to my other. 661 magnum is your friendly companion as well to buck up fell old growth after winter’s wrath with all the usual goodies to aid in clearing. Mother nature’s a real bitch… one sexy bitch at that.

I've taken my '19 Ram crew/limited out west 3 times. It handled everything I threw at it, but my buddy's semi-custom Taco with mild lift and lockers ran circles around me, especially in the deep snow.

With auto insurance continuing to get more and more outrageous, I'm thinking about investing in my '94 f250 vs. anything modern. There are some neat upgrades for the 460 I've come across lately incudling a direct-fit, bolt-on, "flat" low profile throttle body and mini "ecm" to replace the dual snorkel style EFI. Throttle response, torque, HP, and mpg improvements are supposed to be measurable, and with a regular air cleaner, the kit greatly simplifies the engine compartment. The same outfit also provides detailed instructions on how to remove the EGR, smog pump, etc... With the extended cab and 9 foot bed it turns like a battleship, but the motor and 5 speed with cruise are more than capable and it can carry and haul a ton. I haven't looked yet, but I'm guessing aftermarket lockers are also relatively inexpensive for the front and rear solid axles.

This ^^^

Last thing I want is some beater to break down 20 miles from pavement and 100 miles from town.
That's always a thing, but with older rigs, if you're reasonably hand with tools, you can fix a lot of stuff on the side of the road. My brothers and me used to take an old beater suburban to CO every spring to ski. One year we had to replace the alternator on the side of the road. Another year the water pump went out when we rolled into Denver. Although both were inconvenient, we always carried enough tools with us to fix the bolt-on stuff.

BigNate

WKR
I like old school for the simplicity. Ideally, no electronics that can prevent it from running. Still have the potential of a failure but a one wire alternator, a mechanical fuel pump, a carb, and a couple gauges doesn't leave a lot to go wrong.

Mule pro but no idea why you quit hunting archery just because your OTC unit went to a left over draw tag unit in 25. with the turn back tag policy you have nothing to loose, if you draw a better unit else where

Haul a 1996 Geo Tracker to hunting area then use that to access the mountain roads. Bring tracks with so it can be tracked up for late season if needed and can drive 60mph down the gravel on tires. Able to lock in all 4 wheels so chained up it goes places it shouldn't. Doesn't ride near as nice as a SxS but the real heater and roll down windows sure come in handy. Don't need to worry about scratching the paint either.

IDVortex

WKR
Have a 17 F250 CCLB as my daily and hunting rig. Would love to get a second rig, but wife and I are in a apartment until we can find a home. Once we have a place, I'm hoping of getting a side by side. Have thought of selling my truck and get a taco, but to small for me.

96 4runner with a 3.4. 3 inch lift and 33s. super convenient for throwing the kid and dog in and hitting the woods. every thing stays dry and warm and just keep a tarp in the back or cooler for quarters and heads. l

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Yep. Old 2012 manual transmission wrangler rubicon. Full suspension replacement, gears, trussed axles, 35s, electronic diff locks and sway bar disconnect.

I looked for 2 years trying to find an Orange Crush, manual transmission, 4 door, rubicon model. Turns out, in this exact configuration they only sold 153 units. This rig will likely go to my oldest boy in 9 years when he turns 16. If the motor and/tranny blows I’ll do an LS swap. Too much fun.

IMG_5832.jpeg
IMG_4547.jpeg
IMG_4470.jpeg
IMG_3450.jpeg
IMG_0112.jpeg
IMG_0108.jpeg