DIY Sandbag/Weight Solution

Wanted to post a good garage gym solution to the lack of equipment problem that a lot of people have. I have used this "sandbag" for everything from rucking weight to shoulder presses, weighted lunges, curls, KB swings, and more.

All the supplies below have minimal cost and are easy to obtain from Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.

- 40/60/80lb bag of quickcrete or similar substance

- Heavy duty trash bags

- Duct Tape or Gorilla Tape

Put the bag of quickcrete into a couple trash bags to contain the mix. Secure the lose portions of the trash bags with some tape so they start to form to the shape of the quickcrete bag. Wrap the entire thing in a layer of tape so to create an solid surface of tape around the entire "sandbag".

Not an expert, would love to here any similar ideas that you all have implemented successfully or any improvements on the recipe above.

Thanks

OP
kolachiefs
apologies for the grammatical errors - should have done more proof-reading

sacklunch

WKR
After years of replacing budget friendly sandbags, last year I ponied up for the 60/80/100lb go ruck bags...$70 for the big ones, minus any discounts, which are easy to find. Can also be used for sandbag workouts. While anything I've ever taped up in a duffel with gorilla tape has eventually leaked/broken. Also, no handles on the homemade stuff, which makes them slightly less handy for the home gym...can go pickups/tosses without the handles, or use the handles for some SB cleans.

Most things that you tie and tape will eventually break. Although if it's only going in yoyr pack, the method above is certainly the most budget friendly, although not by much, as 80# of quivered and a roll of gorilla tape is already over $50 for a solution that may take heavy abuse for 6-9 months...vs <$100 for a 100# more permanent solution in a manufactured sandbag

Last edited:

CMF

WKR
It looks like you all are doing more than just putting the bag on your pack, but for a pack weight, I've been filling a trash bag with sand and then putting it in a game bag. Have done the last few seasons and works ok, but this isn't being tossed around, just staying strapped to the pack frame.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve got one from Amazon that has held up for about 6 years now. Last time I weighed it, it was 80lbs.

After years of replacing budget friendly sandbags, last year I ponied up for the 60/80/100lb go ruck bags...$70 for the big ones, minus any discounts, which are easy to find. Can also be used for sandbag workouts.

This is what I do as well. 4+ years and going strong. I bought 2 of the Brute Force bags with variable sized inner bags so I can combine them for different weights.

My go to ruck bag is 60 lbs and it straps to my pack easily using the Exo crib carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
We've used the Brute Force brand and then filled it with a 50/50 mix of pea rock and rubber mulch. 5 years and no spills or rips. Handles are nice too.

sndmn11

"DADDY"
I use a 40lb of rock salt in gorilla tape. It'slasted a few years and the handle on top worked for a bit.

Just went to Home Depot last weekend to get another, and since it is summer I struck out. Ended up with a 40lb of play sand that is like a beachball now after I taped it. 😥

Just a sandbag, but I only ruck with it, so strapped in the pack in a heavy duty garbage bag. I can't do much more than 40 lbs right now as my knees get sore going down the hill. Joys of getting older. I'll try and ramp up the weight some as the season approaches. Pack felt really good last night. Think I might finally have it adjusted.

Superdoo

WKR
I like using washed pea gravel. Way less mess to deal with and still very reasonably priced. I use one gallon freezer bags and duct tape for ten pound bricks.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
We've used the Brute Force brand and then filled it with a 50/50 mix of pea rock and rubber mulch. 5 years and no spills or rips. Handles are nice too.
The one I got is made by “rep fitness”
I got it from Amazon back in 2017, it’s been slammed around, filled and refilled with whatever I could get. Right now it’s sand but at one point it was full of reject d2 rocks, I’ve also taken rocks from playgrounds and sand from beaches just depending on where I was. It’s never failed or broken but if I was getting another I’d probably get a brute force.

dtrkyman

WKR
Bought a bag of sand at the farm store, duct taped it. Going strong for a few years!

I have several old concrete test cylinders I tape up with duct tape and set in a backpack. Then I use mule tape to strap that back pack to a Older model Cabelas Alaskan Meat Pack Frame, with the fold out shelf . Whatever weight I lose out rucking I just add it to my pack. I continually add more weight as I get closer to the actual hunt date.

iu

*zap*

WKR
for exercise with a heavy bag a punching bag can work if you sew some handles to it....I have a 20# everlast fit bag which I traded for a few days ago. I am sure I can find a use for it.

WKB

Lil-Rokslider
I went super cheap and ghetto. I took an old army sleeping bag stuff sack and filled it with boxes of ammo, specifically 9mm and 45ACP 100rdboxes. 70lbs of lead and brass is pretty dense and surprising low volume. Cinched the stuff sack tight and strapped it to my frame/ crib panel.

Wanted to post a good garage gym solution to the lack of equipment problem that a lot of people have. I have used this "sandbag" for everything from rucking weight to shoulder presses, weighted lunges, curls, KB swings, and more.

All the supplies below have minimal cost and are easy to obtain from Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.

- 40/60/80lb bag of quickcrete or similar substance

- Heavy duty trash bags

- Duct Tape or Gorilla Tape

Put the bag of quickcrete into a couple trash bags to contain the mix. Secure the lose portions of the trash bags with some tape so they start to form to the shape of the quickcrete bag. Wrap the entire thing in a layer of tape so to create an solid surface of tape around the entire "sandbag".

Not an expert, would love to here any similar ideas that you all have implemented successfully or any improvements on the recipe above.

Thanks
Those water softener salt bags. Come with a carry handle. 50lbs I believe. I wrap em in ductape to not get salt on things. Water won't bother it that way like Crete.

I’ve seen dudes make “pills” out of pvc pipe and filling them with sand. Sometimes I’ll use my pack to move rounds from a tree I’ve fell to the truck. It’s usually not real far but they can be heavy if I put a few on the frame.

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve seen dudes make “pills” out of pvc pipe and filling them with sand. Sometimes I’ll use my pack to move rounds from a tree I’ve fell to the truck. It’s usually not real far but they can be heavy if I put a few on the frame.
Those guys are idiots. Ha! This one is 55lbs.

2,400 cubic inches of rocks is another thing. 3,000 cubic inches is my upper limit that I won't try again since learning I climb half as fast.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk