DiY New Zealand Chamois and Tahr

have never been but can’t wait been hearing so much about this… and definitely also making plans !!

CBar

FNG
Equally curious - the South Island has insanely cool country that reminds me a lot of Montana and Wyoming. Depending on the time of year you're there you should absolutely pack a flyrod

bascott1

WKR
Ive been looking into it as well, seems like the biggest hiccup is getting the firearm permit and a sponsor in the country. Heard police stations are really good contacts with that.

abbrown

Lil-Rokslider
I've lived there and hunted both quite a bit DIY, would be happy to try and answer questions. I also have some good buddies who would be great local guides if you were interested in that route. PM works.

Mojave

WKR
A friend of mine is there right now. He has taken 3 tahr, 2 stags, 3 goats, a wildboar and some other stuff. He is having a ball. The keas in his camp are fat as butterballs.

A friend of mine is there right now. He has taken 3 tahr, 2 stags, 3 goats, a wildboar and some other stuff. He is having a ball. The keas in his camp are fat as butterballs.
Mojave, how did your friend's hunt turn out? Was he there DIY?

Mojave

WKR
He had a good time, camped by himself or over a month. I don't remember the grad tally, but it was over 14 animals.

The last two times he went he killed 3 chamois on each trip. This time he saw none.

@realunlucky , I Just got back from a guided foot hunted chamois hunt, but some of the lessons I learned will benefit the DIY guy:

Firearms Permit- Start this process early. You will be required to take an online firearms class. They may require to see the flights you booked and how long you will be in the country. They are not quick on this process: mine took over 6 months. They are very polite though. If you are taking a folding chassis to hunt with, bring that rifle in a full sized rifle case fully extended to avoid potential problems overzelous police officer. They are legal though as long as the overall length of the firearm is over 32" (if i remember correct) when folded.

Gear: Make sure everything you take is spotless: not even a speck of dirt on your boots, tent, sleeping bag, ect. You will be inspected on entry and will be subject to a fine if they deem them contaminated. I typically wear my boots on the plane on hunts like this, but this time I packed them on my carry on.

Food: I pack my own meals for backpack style hunts and these were inspected. All the freeze dried food with chicken in them were confiscated.

Hunting and Fishing New Zeland is a popular store found in many of the big towns like Christchurch that has a lot of gear. Easy to pick up gas canisters for your jet boil, the microspikes you forgot to pack, and replace all the freeze dried meals confiscated at customs. Pick up a pair of rugby shorts here to fit in with the locals. Stoney Creek brand if you are a tahr hunter, Canterbury (CCC) brand if you are hunting chamois.

Do not head into the field without at least a 12 pack of Speights Golden Ale.

199p

FNG
@realunlucky , I Just got back from a guided foot hunted chamois hunt, but some of the lessons I learned will benefit the DIY guy:

Firearms Permit- Start this process early. You will be required to take an online firearms class. They may require to see the flights you booked and how long you will be in the country. They are not quick on this process: mine took over 6 months. They are very polite though. If you are taking a folding chassis to hunt with, bring that rifle in a full sized rifle case fully extended to avoid potential problems overzelous police officer. They are legal though as long as the overall length of the firearm is over 32" (if i remember correct) when folded.

Gear: Make sure everything you take is spotless: not even a speck of dirt on your boots, tent, sleeping bag, ect. You will be inspected on entry and will be subject to a fine if they deem them contaminated. I typically wear my boots on the plane on hunts like this, but this time I packed them on my carry on.

Food: I pack my own meals for backpack style hunts and these were inspected. All the freeze dried food with chicken in them were confiscated.

Hunting and Fishing New Zeland is a popular store found in many of the big towns like Christchurch that has a lot of gear. Easy to pick up gas canisters for your jet boil, the microspikes you forgot to pack, and replace all the freeze dried meals confiscated at customs. Pick up a pair of rugby shorts here to fit in with the locals. Stoney Creek brand if you are a tahr hunter, Canterbury (CCC) brand if you are hunting chamois.

Do not head into the field without at least a 12 pack of Speights Golden Ale.
Haha Shorts for everything, Dunno about stoney creek tho most nz hunting brands are only good for the city hunters, Canterbury and under armour for the win.