DIY Moose Hunt Price

I just saw an advertisement for a 2024 DIY float hunt on sale at $10K, and that's the discounted price.

medvedyt

WKR
cant say about those prices: moose tag $10, hunting license $10 and then i will need two jerrycans at max of gasoline to feed the engine on the freigther canoe for a river or lake hunt ... but im paying all year round to live up north ...

wyosam

WKR
I just saw an advertisement for a 2024 DIY float hunt on sale at $10K, and that's the discounted price.

Odds are very high that a hunt like that has at least one flight involved, quite possibly two. Anything that can be floated road to road sure isn’t worth paying much to hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Odds are very high that a hunt like that has at least one flight involved, quite possibly two. Anything that can be floated road to road sure isn’t worth paying much to hunt.

Yeah, it's fly-in/fly-out. Someplace out west (Western Alaska).

My Uncle and another guy did their first Alaskan moose hunt in the late 80's or early 90's. They found an ad in Alaska Magazine for $500 a person for the flight to and from an undisclosed location. They did get a moose.
We've been trying to do Alaskan moose for 4-5 years now, between crazy health stuff/injury, the covid erra, and drawing other tags its looking like next year will be our next attempt. We've got 2-3 DIY options narrowed down in the $3500-$4k each range. These options are far from a unit 18 hunt, but they should put a guy in the game.

AKBorn

WKR
I wonder if its discounted because someone had to cancel late in the game, and the air taxi can offer a "discounted" price because they already made some money on the cancelling groups deposit.

I wonder if its discounted because someone had to cancel late in the game, and the air taxi can offer a "discounted" price because they already made some money on the cancelling groups deposit.

Don't know. I didn't look into it. It's either a cancellation/postponement, or a date that never got booked to begin with.

A $20,000 diy moose hunt is 20,000 because it is most likely from an actual outfitter who has put in the time to scout a location and very specific big bulls in the area for you to hunt. It would likely include all your flights, a whole camp setup, a fairly detailed hunt plan, and flexible meat and trophy transportation out of the field. They’re advertising a whole package with high success rates. Basically a guided hunt without the guide. Your paying for his years and years of knowledge and experience vs. a simple air taxi is realistic to find between 2,500-5,000 for a random pilot to just drop you off somewhere random or somewhere you have e-scouted that may or may not have moose… that being said, 20k is way more than you need to spend 😅

IMG_3549.png
We paid $5,900+ per person in 2019 in Alaska, Unit 18 with PBA for 2 hunters. We both killed moose over 50+ inches wide within 4 days.

I think Renfro’s and PBA are north of $13,000+ per hunter now, if not more and probably booked 3 to 4 years out. Times are a changing…Happy hunting, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.

Not long ago, I went on (6 years in a row) drop camp moose hunts in Canada for less than $20,000 total for all of those trips combined and I was provided a float plane ride in, cabin with a generator, and boats with motors and unlimited gasoline.

Hunted moose and fished a total of ~85 days.

Oh, those were the days. I loved it.

Dropped you off, they left, and you did whatever you wanted, whenever you wanted. Then they picked you up whenever you wanted. I typically stayed in camp for 14 full days during peak moose rut.

Had a 50% success rate on killing bulls with bows.

Now that the owners kid took over $6,000 per person for 6-day hunts.

Fun while it lasted.

Last edited:
View attachment 740005
We paid $5,900+ per person in 2019 in Alaska, Unit 18 with PBA for 2 hunters. We both killed moose over 50+ inches wide within 4 days.

I think Renfro’s and PBA are north of $13,000+ per hunter now, if not more and probably booked 3 to 4 years out. Times are a changing…Happy hunting, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.

Yeah, DIY drop camp moose hunts are running $12,000 to $15,000 nowadays. The guy from AZ that's getting a door-to-door moose hunt from Phoenix for $5K, stumbled on some sort of oddity, or a strange cut-rate deal.

Yeah, DIY drop camp moose hunts are running $12,000 to $15,000 nowadays. The guy from AZ that's getting a door-to-door moose hunt from Phoenix for $5K, stumbled on some sort of oddity, or a strange cut-rate deal.

I’m doing it this year for around 6k per door to door for two people (myself and wife) from Houston. This does not including shipping meat home. 75% of that is transport to and from field. Ours is a float hunt as well.

I’m doing it this year for around 6k per door to door for two people (myself and wife) from Houston. This does not including shipping meat home. 75% of that is transport to and from field. Ours is a float hunt as well.

Man, that's crazy. I haven't heard of those prices in 5 or 6 years, and I live here (Alaska). I wonder what the service is like and the hunting pressure.

Man, that's crazy. I haven't heard of those prices in 5 or 6 years, and I live here (Alaska). I wonder what the service is like and the hunting pressure.

Great service, near zero pressure (confirmed by wildlife biologist), and moose to be had. At least that’s what’s been shared with me. This will be our first time but based on the success of the previous hunters that have done this trip 8-9 years in a row (shared with me by the hunt planner that’s helping me set this up) it was worth a trip. Plus the fishing is supposed to be amazing as well. (He also sends people here durning the year fishing). The only reason we are going and it was shared is bc his repeat clients aren’t coming this year. They are booked for next year though but it may be their last year.

I will also add that this isn’t an easy drop off and start floating hunt. It takes some serious work just to get to the river. Per hunt planner, 90% of people decline simply based off that part of the hunt alone.

I will also add that this isn’t an easy drop off and start floating hunt. It takes some serious work just to get to the river. Per hunt planner, 90% of people decline simply based off that part of the hunt alone.

Interesting stuff. That's a totally unheard of price deal, for a DIY drop camp float hunt, including flying. Crazy cheap.