DIY instant coffee?

Have any of y'all made your own instant coffee like the Starbucks via/BRCC pouches?

It seems like you could just pulverize beans with a blade grinder...

Just curious if there was more to it.

unorthodox for some, but look into turkish or bosnian coffee. thats what we drink on the weekends/leisurely or if time allows. its finely ground coffee, few ways to do it, boil water then coffee, or coffee and water then boil. a 2nd pot helps but far from mandatory. i prefer it vs conventional coffee be it coffee maker, espresso maker, drip, kuerig etc

jdinville3

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking for some as well and here are some I have found, but have not tried yet.

Dark Timber Coffee

Trader Joes Instant Coffee

Bulletproof Instant Coffee

OP
displacedtexan
Check out cascadia roasters...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Whoa..$44 for 20 servings? Or $60 ish for 100g of coffee?

Run to wallyworld site, search bosnian. $25/500g. Made the same, finely ground, be hard pressed to believe cascadia is that much better than the OG in that realm when made right (mix, boil, foam a few times, serve sit sip shit.)

I'll give it a whirl, what the heck

Last edited:
OP
displacedtexan

Run to wallyworld site, search bosnian. $25/500g. Made the same, finely ground, be hard pressed to believe cascadia is that much better than the OG in that realm when made right (mix, boil, foam a few times, serve sit sip shit.)

Sounds like you're a coffee snob and money waster like me!

Clarktar

WKR

I'll try your terrorist coffee this weekend.

:ROFLMAO::coffee:

If it's vastly different from cascadia grounds, I can give a tutorial..

...cut the red wire first though....

Those bags were what got me to thinking...

Aside from not liking Starbucks coffee much, and not wanting to give BRCC my money.

Dark Timber Coffee might be an option. They're the ones that pioneered that Gravity Pack, at least as far as I know. I chose to make my own for the cost and I had a hunt right around the corner and didn't want to order.

I could be wrong but I think instant is more like freeze dried. Starbucks VIAS are decent. If you use your own grounds, you'd want to filter by using something like a pour-over setup, and they do make ultralight backpacking ones. But then you're packing out filters. Or you could do something like an aeropress but it's a little heavy. And there's always cowboy coffee, but I'm not a fan.

That is exactly correct.

Those pour-over bags I posted above are biodegradable. I just bury mine.
Do you steep the coffee in those bags, our pourover? I have an MSR mugmate that you steep in and always thought it didn't taste all that great but doing an actual pourover does. I used those silicone collapsible pourover things from amazon and they worked great. I'm going instant coffee this year

Do you steep the coffee in those bags, our pourover? I have an MSR mugmate that you steep in and always thought it didn't taste all that great but doing an actual pourover does. I used those silicone collapsible pourover things from amazon and they worked great. I'm going instant coffee this year

They're pour over.

for @Clarktar and @displacedtexan , ill make some traditional coffee this weekend with photos of the home setup and some images of how/what youre after. on the trail its just as easy to make it one pot vs two pot at home, but slightly different based on pot shape. I dont see the need for bags or bad coffee, trying to share my snobbery

Ok, let's do this
20220917_124653.jpg
Traditionally, all would be done in the red pot (bosnian dzugem (jew-gum, pronunciation, IDK on spelling).

Depending on how many pots you use, let's pretend it's the camping case. Get some water boiling and coffee ready.

20220917_124720.jpg20220917_125003.jpg20220917_125103.jpg
(Top to bottom) a scoop of bosnian coffee, I do 3 scoops into the red pot.

Reg coffee ground left, bosnian right.

Bosnian coffee (light brown) mixed amongst reg ground (dark)

So now we have water boiling and will introduce the grounds. Whether that's pour ground into water (stir it if you do) or pour water into grounds (no stir needed).

It's important you leave room in the head of the vessel for it to foam and rise. You'll foam and rise it a few times. Think of it like a rinse-lather-repeat for a good frothy rich coffee.

You can tell by the ground it's not a 'dark' coffee, but it's a heavy coffee. About what I'd say as regular American light cup is to skim milk, what whole milk is to bosnian, maybe whole plus. It's thick since the ground is a suspension of sorts.

20220917_125643.jpg20220917_125721.jpg20220917_125807.jpg

When you pour for consuming, stay away from stirring the cup, you'll disrupt the grounds that settle and have chalky coffee then. A swirl, a swoosh, that's fine. Just don't mix up.

20220917_125816.jpg

Now just let cool to your sipping temp and enjoy.

I'll snap photos of an empty cup, and a clear cup I have sitting for a cross section.

I imagine this is what cascadia makes. I enjoy this, but it's a tradition thing in this house.

Attachments

• 20220917_125915.jpg
    20220917_125915.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 18
Didn't realize how long I took to type and organize, my coffee was temp ready.

Here's the remnants that collect at the bottom. Stirring it up will make it chalky, again, by soft swirls and swoosh don't effect it.

The resting for drinking temp is more time then the settling takes.

20220917_132105.jpg20220917_132135.jpg20220917_132145.jpg
Clear cup I let sit. The sludge is rather immobile + your not breaking the plane of perpendicular to your mouth to drink it.

This style of coffee is a sit and sip. Not a mobile cup, as in occasional sip from a thermos. Jostling obviously makes it chalky, which is fine if you're transporting in and pour and then sit and sip. But I wouldn't enjoy it as much straight from a thermos during a trek

Clarktar

WKR
Didn't realize how long I took to type and organize, my coffee was temp ready.

Here's the remnants that collect at the bottom. Stirring it up will make it chalky, again, by soft swirls and swoosh don't effect it.

The resting for drinking temp is more time then the settling takes.

View attachment 453063View attachment 453064View attachment 453065
Clear cup I let sit. The sludge is rather immobile + your not breaking the plane of perpendicular to your mouth to drink it.

This style of coffee is a sit and sip. Not a mobile cup, as in occasional sip from a thermos. Jostling obviously makes it chalky, which is fine if you're transporting in and pour and then sit and sip. But I wouldn't enjoy it as much straight from a thermos during a trek
So you are mixing three spoons of Bosnian with one spoon of "regular" coffee? And that is to about 16 oz of water ?

Thanks for sharing!!

So you are mixing three spoons of Bosnian with one spoon of "regular" coffee? And that is to about 16 oz of water ?

Thanks for sharing!!

The bosnian vs reg was purely example of the difference In ground.

I do 3 spoons to about 5/8 water, but ill measure (attached theough edit on the bottom) the red vessel. But it's far more a 'feel' style of cooking then a recipe.

'About' 32oz of water to 3 heaping scoops. But that's enough for a cup (think teacup) or two or three for 3-5 people.

Mind you, turkish (maybe this style) has more caffeine content, and is thicker/frothy/creamySmartSelect_20220917-135536_Chrome.jpgThe-caffeine-content-in-different-beverages.png