DIY game bag material

ForkLift

FNG
For those of you who have made your own game bags, what kind of material have you used an recommend? I would like to make my own bags but am unsure of the actual fabric type & weight per oz, etc. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Jt89

FNG
Well, I use old but good quality (1000 thread count) pillow cases for red deer hind quarters. You could probably start with just buying some sheets and sewing up bags to the size you want with a drawstring.
Personally I think a strong high quality cotton is the best, I don't understand why the market trend is for meat bags to be made out of synthetics.

WoodBow

WKR
Uncoated ripstop nylon around 1.1 oz weight will work.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

dlee56

WKR
Uncoated ripstop nylon around 1.1 oz weight will work.

I’m assuming you’ve made some out of that material, how does it wash out? Do you put them in the laundry washer?

dlee56

WKR
Well, I use old but good quality (1000 thread count) pillow cases for red deer hind quarters. You could probably start with just buying some sheets and sewing up bags to the size you want with a drawstring.
Personally I think a strong high quality cotton is the best, I don't understand why the market trend is for meat bags to be made out of synthetics.
I like the thought of cotton for drainage and cooling effect, do they keep the bug eggs out well? How much does a set weigh for you?

WoodBow

WKR
I’m assuming you’ve made some out of that material, how does it wash out? Do you put them in the laundry washer?
Yea it washes just fine. It may stain but that's it. @Felix40 was selling some on the side for a while. He can probably tell you what he was using. I've used his bags and ones that I have made. No issues.

TaperPin

WKR
I’ve always used king size pillow cases for boning out meat - for deer or elk. Strong enough to hang from a tree and a good size for packing. Once it’s used I just toss it. For covering bone-in meat just a light weight cotton fabric is all you need.

Baller

FNG
My mother has been sewing wild game bags for decades using unbleached muslin. I wanna say they have a light and heavy weight fabric weight that I split into archery season (Light - HOT) and winter (Heavy - COLD). It has never let me down and my Grandfather before me.

Old school heritage type stuff...

Jt89

FNG
I like the thought of cotton for drainage and cooling effect, do they keep the bug eggs out well? How much does a set weigh for you?
Never had any eggs get in, but in New Zealand our main issues are just common flies and wasps. A wasp only really wants to eat the meat, and flies can't get through to lay eggs if it's a high quality cotton. I get maybe eight to ten trips out of a secondhand pillow case before I think of throwing it out, and only carry one or two. They probably average about 7 ounces each

Made some bags out of lightweight nylon from fabric store. Did paracord at the top but also did oversized reflective tabs on the bottom of the bag. Used it a food bag as well
Rip stop by the roll has lots of options. They have airwave material as well which is what the BRO bags are made from. Double stiched the side walls and top.

Attachments

• IMG_6969.jpeg
    IMG_6969.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6970.jpeg
    IMG_6970.jpeg
    193.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6911.jpeg
    IMG_6911.jpeg
    621.4 KB · Views: 25

bushpilot

Lil-Rokslider
Is that stuff strong enough for moose?
You have to be more clear on this question. The fabric is rated to 400lbs, so the stitching will be the weakest part of the bag. Personally I don’t like more than 80lbs in a bag for load carry, so for game like moose I pack 6-8bags.

bushpilot

Lil-Rokslider
How has the durability been with this fabric? I'm thinking about trying this material for my next set of game bags.
I cant attest to long term durability, having only made some last fall. I’m going to torture test a set here to see what the breaking point is.

Just go to Walmart, or any store and find the sheets that have been opened and discounted. Cut to length and width you need, and sew them up. You can also use pillow cases but these days, I just get the cheap sheets and sew them up. I don't even worry about reuse most of the time, one and done, but some of them I have washed an reused. From antelope to moose, no issues.

I put them right up there with Havalon blades, sure I could resharpen, but I just toss them.
Just for you, a thread I started awhile ago.

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/dont-be-a-sucker.276053/

bushpilot

Lil-Rokslider
I cant attest to long term durability, having only made some last fall. I’m going to torture test a set here to see what the breaking point is.
Just an update for those following this thread. I was able to load up a 1.8 oz airwave large bag with 250lbs of wet sand and hang it for a week. No issues with the bag or material.