DIY First Aid Kit

Hey guys, I’m new to this so it I post in the wrong place or do something wrong please provide some positive criticism.

After reviewing multiple first aid kits from various companies, I couldn’t find one that included everything I wanted while keeping the weight as low as possible. I’m curious to hear your thoughts and learn what you all pack in your kits. I realize this might be overkill for some and not enough for others, but it could serve as a good baseline for anyone looking to do the same.

To give you some background, I’m currently trying to lighten my pack as much as possible. My original first aid kit weighed a hefty 24oz and was similar to an IFAK combined with a basic kit. I’ve adopted the “don’t pack your fears” approach with this kit, believing that if I can’t handle it with what’s here, I’ll call for help with my InReach. The only thing not included in the list below is a CAT tourniquet, which I carry on my chest for easy access and visibility.

Contents in order left to right in the photo with some details as I felt necessary:

HyFin-Vented Chest Seal - Based on studies vented chest seals have a higher survivable outcome than non vented and circumvent the need for a needle decompression.
3M Steri Strips x2 packs of 6
MARCH-PAWS Handout from Hunt Backcountry episode 216
BZK Wipes x6
Sting Relief - x3 I plan to use on burns for numbing if necessary
Microburst MP1 water filtration tablets x5 packs of 2 foe 10L of water
NAR Combat Gauze
Foil Blanket
Gear Aid Patches x6
Thermometer
Zip Ties x10 - aka Finger tourniquet
Whistle
Dramamine x4
Dayquill/Nyquill x4 Night x8 Day - I’ve ended up hunting sick more times than I wish
Anti-Diarrheal x6
Laxative x6
Baby Asprin x8
Benadryl x6
Advil x8
Tylenol x8
Compeed Blister - Clinical studies say its the best treatment
Tweezers/Pins
LightAF Dyneema Pouch Medium
Mini Bic
Band-Aids x5 of 3 sizes
Antiacids x8
Leuko tape folded flat
Hydrocortisone x5
Triple Antibiotic x5
Gloves Pair

All in it came out to just under 12oz cutting my first aid kit in half. I omitted a lot, but I feel confident I can overcome most challenges in the backcountry. Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• IMG_3471.jpeg
    IMG_3471.jpeg
    286.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3469.jpeg
    IMG_3469.jpeg
    465.3 KB · Views: 91

Sled

WKR
Hey guys, I’m new to this so it I post in the wrong place or do something wrong please provide some positive criticism.

After reviewing multiple first aid kits from various companies, I couldn’t find one that included everything I wanted while keeping the weight as low as possible. I’m curious to hear your thoughts and learn what you all pack in your kits. I realize this might be overkill for some and not enough for others, but it could serve as a good baseline for anyone looking to do the same.

To give you some background, I’m currently trying to lighten my pack as much as possible. My original first aid kit weighed a hefty 24oz and was similar to an IFAK combined with a basic kit. I’ve adopted the “don’t pack your fears” approach with this kit, believing that if I can’t handle it with what’s here, I’ll call for help with my InReach. The only thing not included in the list below is a CAT tourniquet, which I carry on my chest for easy access and visibility.

Contents in order left to right in the photo with some details as I felt necessary:

HyFin-Vented Chest Seal - Based on studies vented chest seals have a higher survivable outcome than non vented and circumvent the need for a needle decompression.
3M Steri Strips x2 packs of 6
MARCH-PAWS Handout from Hunt Backcountry episode 216
BZK Wipes x6
Sting Relief - x3 I plan to use on burns for numbing if necessary
Microburst MP1 water filtration tablets x5 packs of 2 foe 10L of water
NAR Combat Gauze
Foil Blanket
Gear Aid Patches x6
Thermometer
Zip Ties x10 - aka Finger tourniquet
Whistle
Dramamine x4
Dayquill/Nyquill x4 Night x8 Day - I’ve ended up hunting sick more times than I wish
Anti-Diarrheal x6
Laxative x6
Baby Asprin x8
Benadryl x6
Advil x8
Tylenol x8
Compeed Blister - Clinical studies say its the best treatment
Tweezers/Pins
LightAF Dyneema Pouch Medium
Mini Bic
Band-Aids x5 of 3 sizes
Antiacids x8
Leuko tape folded flat
Hydrocortisone x5
Triple Antibiotic x5
Gloves Pair

All in it came out to just under 12oz cutting my first aid kit in half. I omitted a lot, but I feel confident I can overcome most challenges in the backcountry. Let me know what you think!
That's pretty comprehensive. I have similar meds but only carry a tq, curlex role, abd pad, and z-fold hemostatic gauze. If you can stop the bleeding you have a chance. If you need a chest seal in the woods you're probably SOL unless it's eastern hunting with a hospital nearby.

grfox92

WKR
That's pretty comprehensive. I have similar meds but only carry a tq, curlex role, abd pad, and z-fold hemostatic gauze. If you can stop the bleeding you have a chance. If you need a chest seal in the woods you're probably SOL unless it's eastern hunting with a hospital nearby.
Yea that's way more than I'm carrying.

Bandaids, alcohol pads, antibacterial cream, gauze, tape, ibuprofen, benadryl and a t kit. If a vented chest seal is needed where I hunt, your already dead.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

tony

WKR
I've been a paramedic over 30 years and RN about 15
Keep in mind a lot of the whiz bang high speed shit being sold works and works well. Being close to medical care is what you need.

If you are in the backcountry, you are pretty much in the good Lords hands as far as making it our alive.
Buddy of mine is an ED nurse as well. Elk hunting in Colorado. Heard someone yelling for help may 1/2 mile off. He found a guy standing over another guy with a rife in hand. thinking a guy was shot he eased down to them.
Guy had the big one and dropped dead there on the mountain side. My friend did a few rounds of CPR jus to ease the other guys anxiety.
When they got the body out of the backcountry it was hours later. Point is cardiac, heavy bleeding, your pretty much done.

That's a pretty good kit OP, I'd add a decent pair of "trauma shears" to it. Good pair of small scissors is handy as hell

Jmort1754

WKR
TQ- get a cat or something similar (know how to use it)
Non coated aspirin
Ibuprofen
Tylenol
Leukotape
Benadryl
Bandaid
Duck tape or the like
Israeli Dressing
quik clot gauze or the like
I keep super glue (loc tite ultra control)
Sutures (used more than once for other things sewing torn equipment as well)
Zofran ODT
hydrocort cream

Duck tape is wrapped around a bic lighter so I have it.

Chest seals can be used for more than just covering a hole from a gunshot wound. We used one to secure the stick that pierced a kid through his lower gut area while we waited for the airlift to arrive to get him to a hospital. I have also used them to secure gauze when stuffed in a hole that was bleeding. I have also used one to cover butterfly bandaids when a buddy slammed a knife into his shin a couple of miles into a hunt.

I'll echo what others have said and add a NAR tourniquet and know how/when to use it. I also carry combat gauze and chest seals just in case but also acknowledge that if I'm having to use those its a pretty bad day. Where I hunt (and likely where others here hunt) it most likely isn't going to change the outcome but I figure for the small amount of weight added its worth those as options in case it does change the outcome. My kit is mostly focused on managing bleeding and pain with a few survival items included. Anything other than that in the backcountry and you're probably too far gone, can just hike out to the truck, or are stable enough to hunker down while you wait for a rescue.

Wellsdw

WKR
I can’t remember what they are called but it’s essentially a stick anywhere bandaged connected to another bandage making a zipper. Far easier than stitching yourself up! Maybe worth a look

Tourniquet,quick clot bangage,Israel bandage,one smaller compress bandage & 5ft gorilla tape.
Not much worry about the minor stuff.
If I carry anything else it may be some ibuprofen,Leuko tape in a different spot.

TaperPin

WKR
I like the list. Linemen use electrical tape for all sorts of cuts and holes that leak - I was reluctant, but now really like to use it over a bandaid for all sorts of areas that are hard to keep a dressing on. Need more pressure - every wrap adds more. A half dozen tight wraps will completely stop circulation if a finger tip is bitten off by a rabbit. Gaffers tape (Gorilla tape) sticks so well I have a few feet of that as well.

When someone falls and slides down a sharp rock, just make sure you have enough things between skin closures, tape and whatnot to close a foot long skin flap. Some kind of antibacterial to add to water to rinse the dirt and pine needles off that skin flap would be nice.

A friend of mine in high school dropped a 22 pistol and it shot him in the chest - nobody knew enough to put their finger or tape over the hole and it killed him. By the end of that school year just about everyone knew how to treat a sucking chest wound. Hunters all carry zip lock bags, and a little square partly sticking out from under a strip of tape will seal the suck and still burp air.

I don’t carry it hunting, but I do keep a copy of Medicine for Mountaineering in the truck first aid kit. It’s packed with good stuff from explaining basic stuff to more advanced things how to relocate a shoulder and treat serious schitt when nobody is coming to save you. Everyone gets a laugh at how to clear an impacted bowel with finger manipulation. Lol

EMT scissors are so handy, you’ll wish you had them, but it’s a hard weight penalty if you’re also cutting handles off the toothbrush.

A Basic Emergency Care series of classes are well worth it, or whatever they call advanced first aid nowadays.

I carry a Tourniquet as well the last few years, they aren't heavy and don't take up much room. Like others have said know how to use it properly and put it somewhere accessible. Also, look into purchasing an American made or reputable brand. Most of the knock off Chinese made ones will break at the windless when using them properly and getting the right amount of pressure applied.

yfarm

WKR
Superglue or Dermabond. Prefer over bandaids, occlusive, airtight. Keeps wound clean. Can dunk wound in water, abdominal cavity or what have you an remains clean unlike dressings. Just use it correctly, told a friend to use it assuming he would approximate the laceration edges, wrong just covered the raw tissue like painting, healed but took longer.

406life

Lil-Rokslider
I'd tell you to start with a WFA, or even better a WFR course, and then create your own kit. Knowledge doesn't weigh anything. Then you'll have skills to keep someone alive long enough to get off the mountain or get rescued (if they weren't expectant anyway).

I'll also add I carry two CATs, one in pack and one in my right pocket.

Shane802

FNG
I'd tell you to start with a WFA, or even better a WFR course, and then create your own kit. Knowledge doesn't weigh anything. Then you'll have skills to keep someone alive long enough to get off the mountain or get rescued (if they weren't expectant anyway).

I'll also add I carry two CATs, one in pack and one in my right pocket.
I agree some training and an inreach will help more than anything.

I’m going through this exercise as well.

Can someone tell me why it’s worth it to carry Tylenol, ibuprofen, and aspirin? From my research they’re all fairly similar. Seems like Tylenol does not have anti inflammatory characteristics. Why not just pack ibuprofen or aspirin? If I recall aspirin can thin blood so could help with a heart attack? So maybe that’s an argument for aspirin and ibuprofen? But why would I carry all 3?