DIY dummy forgot bread crumbs in meat.....

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Like an idiot, I forgot to add the bread crumbs to my ground elk meat prior to cooking. I'm dehydrating elk chili mac. Elk ground has no added fat.
Is it gonna be edible? Possibly still good? I am only dehydrating half the batch, so I can just eat the rest now if it turns out bad.

Grumman

WKR
Edit- I see now you are likely wondering how it is when you rehydrate. I have no experience there but hope it turns out well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Why would you think the lack of bread crumbs would make it taste bad? And why would you add bread crumbs to ground meat cooked for chili?

I dont add anything to my straight ground deer/elk, not even for burger patties.

Jrok

FNG
Why would you think the lack of bread crumbs would make it taste bad? And why would you add bread crumbs to ground meat cooked for chili?

I dont add anything to my straight ground deer/elk, not even for burger patties.
I agree what’s the benefit of bread crumbs?

BBob

WKR
Way back when I first started I never knew to add bread crumbs when doing ground meat and it was fine. I did it that way for many many years. It is better with but it was always fine. Might be a little chewier or take extra time soaking but I never had the thought I needed to fix anything. Currently (if I don’t forget ;) ) I add ~1/2C of Panko to the seasoned mix of ground.
I agree what’s the benefit of bread crumbs?
It does help to rehydrate faster and better.

Way back when I first started I never knew to add bread crumbs when doing ground meat and it was fine. I did it that way for many many years. It is better with but it was always fine. Might be a little chewier or take extra time soaking but I never had the thought I needed to fix anything. Currently (if I don’t forget ;) ) I add ~1/2C of Panko to the seasoned mix of ground.

It does help to rehydrate faster and better.
So its strictly to aid the re-hydration process? Didnt know that.

OP
Team4LongGun

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I am dehydrating chili mac and forgot to add bread crumbs. I am not making chili on the stove for dinner. I was hoping someone could chime in and tell me if I wasted alot of time and products, or it will still taste fine and not be of poor texture.

BBob

WKR
I am dehydrating chili mac and forgot to add bread crumbs. I am not making chili on the stove for dinner. I was hoping someone could chime in and tell me if I wasted alot of time and products, or it will still taste fine and not be of poor texture.
Did you cook the meat separate and then add it to the chile mac to dehydrate all together? Did you cook the chile mac all together with the meat and then plan to dehydrate? Either way I personally wouldn’t have added bread crumbs. If you cooked the meat separate and planned to dehydrate separate I would have added bread crumbs but if you didn’t it’ll still be fine IMO.

OP
Team4LongGun

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Did you cook the meat separate and then add it to the chile mac to dehydrate all together? Did you cook the chile mac all together with the meat and then plan to dehydrate? Either way I personally wouldn’t have added bread crumbs. If you cooked the meat separate and planned to dehydrate separate I would have added bread crumbs but if you didn’t it’ll still be fine IMO.
I made the chili as I always do, brown ground meat first, then add beans, tomatoes, onions, peppers, seasoning etc.
I did make the elbow macaroni separate, and once all was cool, I mixed chili with elbows, then into dehydrator.

BBob

WKR
I made the chili as I always do, brown ground meat first, then add beans, tomatoes, onions, peppers, seasoning etc.
I did make the elbow macaroni separate, and once all was cool, I mixed chili with elbows, then into dehydrator.
IMO no bread crumbs needed. When I make/use a dish like that I never add them. Leftover’s the same, just dehydrate with nothing else added.