DiY Archery Target

hobbes

WKR
I've seen these online, maybe Bowsite, and planned on giving one a try, but it's taken me a while to get to it.

I bought two 4x8 sheets of 1.5" thick Owens Corning Foamular and two 36" pieces of 7/16" all thread rod with nuts and washers. It cost about $60. The wood that I used for the top, bottom, and legs was all scrap.

I split the foam board lengthwise in three even strips along the factory precut lines (so 16" wide). That gave me six 16" x 8' sheets. I then cut all of those at 32", giving me eighteen pieces that were 32" x 16" x 1.5". I stacked those for a target 32" wide x 27" tall x 16 " deep.

I used a 2x6 on the bottom with 2x4 legs for stability. I used a 1x6 with a 2x4 screwed to it for the top.

I used only the 1x6 to start with but it was weak and bowed more than I liked when I tightened down.
IMG_20200820_134015231.jpg

I screwed a 2x4 to the 1x to improve bending strength. I think it helped with more uniform compression.

IMG_20200820_200249689.jpg

It makes a relatively loud "thunk" when you hit it but it stopped arrows fairly well, including broadheads.

Field points:
IMG_20200820_201305321.jpg

I'm not sure how long it will last but should be easy to replace sheets.

Last edited:

ZachW

FNG
That is a really cool idea, have used sheet foam in front of a hat bail before.

WoodBow

WKR
I like it and i like being able to replace sheets in high use areas. You could likely save money by buying longer all thread on the electrical aisle. You pay a premium when you buy those short sticks most times.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Nate_Beres

Lil-Rokslider
How much did it compress? Mine is with carpet and I have to ratchet strap it just to get started. Replacing sheets is doable but a pretty big hassle?
I also wonder how long it'll last. I'm probably gonna out a layer of landscaping cloth on front and back so I don't make as much of a mess, might consider it.
Best thing I did was strap it to a garden cart so I can wheel it around. You're is probably a lot lighter.
I've got some 3" thick blue foam board and considering making a smaller BH target. The carpet is an absolute no go with BH's.
Any idea what R value? IDK if that makes a difference but it could be more dense. Let us know how it holds up

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
How much did it compress? Mine is with carpet and I have to ratchet strap it just to get started. Replacing sheets is doable but a pretty big hassle?
I also wonder how long it'll last. I'm probably gonna out a layer of landscaping cloth on front and back so I don't make as much of a mess, might consider it.
Best thing I did was strap it to a garden cart so I can wheel it around. You're is probably a lot lighter.
I've got some 3" thick blue foam board and considering making a smaller BH target. The carpet is an absolute no go with BH's.
Any idea what R value? IDK if that makes a difference but it could be more dense. Let us know how it holds up

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I didn't measure how much it compressed. I don't think it was a lot, but mostly squeezed the sheets tighter. R value for it is based on thickness, so higher R value is just thicker sheets and not denser board. It would probably be better to use thinner sheets, so more 1" sheets would probably perform better. I'm not sure if the blue board that I see used a lot are denser or the same. Durability will be determined in time. I've not put many arrows into it. I mostly shoot at the local club's outdoor range and wanted this for dialing in broadheads at home.

Any harder to pull broadheads out than a factory broadhead target?

I may have to give this a try.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Any harder to pull broadheads out than a factory broadhead target?

I may have to give this a try.

About the same as a Block style target. I've not shot anything besides a cheap Block and a Black hole. I'll try to shoot multiple broadheads into it to see how it holds up. (I've got family in visiting so shooting time will be affected.)

calvb1

FNG
I have great luck with the same design just using strips of cardboard, Even easier is stuffing feedbags full of plastic bags, shipping wrap etc.
PE teacher in a public school you learn to stretch the budget :)

Geewhiz

WKR
I have made targets like that one. They stop an arrow great and are east to build and pull arrows out of. However in my opinion they have one issue. The speed of the arrow entering the foam creates heat with the friction and you end up with foam melted to the shaft of the arrow. Enough to create a significant buildup over just a few shots.

My most recent target is made from sheets of carpet hung from one end. It is 4ft x 4ft and about 16 layers of used carpet. I have been shooting it almost every day for over a year and a half now and it is holding up wonderfully.

Do you get foam residue melting to the arrow from the rigid foam? This looks like a cool idea but I was wondering about foam residue on the arrow...

I have made targets like that one. They stop an arrow great and are east to build and pull arrows out of. However in my opinion they have one issue. The speed of the arrow entering the foam creates heat with the friction and you end up with foam melted to the shaft of the arrow. Enough to create a significant buildup over just a few shots.

My most recent target is made from sheets of carpet hung from one end. It is 4ft x 4ft and about 16 layers of used carpet. I have been shooting it almost every day for over a year and a half now and it is holding up wonderfully.

A friend of mine has one on the compressed carpet targets. It’s been years but I recall it being very difficult at times to pull the arrow out. Maybe his just wasn’t done right.

Geewhiz

WKR
I have a friend that has one as well and it is hard to get arrows out of like you say. The one I made is not compressed, it is made of sheets of carpet hanging from one edge so it gives when it is shot and absorbs the energy. Mind you there is alot of square footage of carpet used to make it, but it does work well and is reasonably easy to get arrows out of

Juan_ID

WKR
I too built one of these targets 5-6 years ago, not sure on the actual size but it’s maybe 3’ wide x 4’ tall. I almost always shoot more towards the middle and have only had to move sheets around maybe 3x. It’s been shot thousands of times and is still doing just fine. Broadheads do chew it up but that’s to be expected.

As for the foam “build up/residue” my arrows do get some just behind the tips after several shots into the foam but a quick scrape with my pocketknife or fingernail takes it right off.

lak2004

WKR
My 3d targets leave residue as well, I have a scotch Brite pad I use to get it off quick, works great.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

pirogue

WKR
The glue used in most carpets is so abrasive, that it seems like you can just see the paint finish coming off each shot. And then subtract a few grains of weight after each outing. Plus they are heavy.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Do you get foam residue melting to the arrow from the rigid foam? This looks like a cool idea but I was wondering about foam residue on the arrow...
Yes, some foam residue, but so far it comes off pretty easy.

Aces11

Lil-Rokslider
I made one very similar last year. I had some wheels I took of an old grill and put on the bottom and it works slick. Once the center gets shot out I just rotate the pieces around. Great for shooting broad heads at longer distances. I mostly only use mine for broad heads and usually shoot field points at my bag target. Very light and easy to move around.

Attachments

• 47DDD461-FACF-4358-AE2C-C877539F9523.jpeg
    47DDD461-FACF-4358-AE2C-C877539F9523.jpeg
    412.9 KB · Views: 33

Yarcher

FNG
I have great luck with the same design just using strips of cardboard, Even easier is stuffing feedbags full of plastic bags, shipping wrap etc.
PE teacher in a public school you learn to stretch the budget :)
Stuffing feed bags with other feed bags is how we have built them. Works great and they can last a long time.