Dishonest taxidermist

DeerCatcherUT/CO

Lil-Rokslider
I dropped a buck off to a local taxidermist in the wheatridge Colorado area. This was the season before last. He keeps dragging me along telling me it’s still drying and won’t answer my calls. He will only text me. He also moved his shop to his house and hasn’t updated his business address on google. The shop is Adventures Wildlife Studio. Does anyone have experience with him? Did I lose my buck? There’s some google reviews that are really making me nervous and I’m worried that he lost/stole my buck and is trying to run.

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
Never done business with him or know anyone that has. After reading his reviews, I’d say I hope you didn’t pay for the work up front.

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
Bummer man, I feel for you. I do think it's a good idea to try calling from a different number or have a friend call. Hopefully you could at least get the antlers back.

JFK

WKR
Start with the assumption that most are crooked and let them prove otherwise. There are good, honest ones but they are exception and not the rule. I’ve had the same thing happen. Lost animal and deposit. Dude just ghosted me for 2 years and made excuses when I could manage to get in touch with him.

mi650

WKR
Stolen antlers?!?!

The worst I've had happen was a supposed rotten hide, that I was charged an extra $100 to replace. When I said something about it to my cousin, who'd recommended the guy, he said, "Yea, he's had that happen with 3 or 4 of mine." :unsure:

He had 2 of my deer at the time, but has never seen another nickel from me.

WKR

WKR
#1 rule of getting taxidermy work
Never ever let them keep the horns or antlers, give them right before the final process
Lots of taxidermy shops are run by flakes and thieves, so it’s a gamble to leave the skull cape
Sounds like good advice, but I wonder how many of them would actually let you do that or just tell you to go elsewhere...

Sounds like good advice, but I wonder how many of them would actually let you do that or just tell you to go elsewhere...
Yea I'd imagine that wouldn't fly a lot of places without a previous relationship with the taxi, then the necessity probably wouldn't be there any more.
I don't know what about taxidermist and outfitters attracts the sketchiest folks but it sure seems to. Do your research, try to get numerous forms of contact, as much info as possible and referrals. Sometimes you are out of state in a remote area and just have no other choice... I've been burned a few times in situations like that. Since his shop is now his home, probably wouldn't just show up, the friend idea seems like it has potential.

OP
DeerCatcherUT/CO

DeerCatcherUT/CO

Lil-Rokslider
I would have a buddy reach out to the taxidermist pretending to be a new client and schedule a time to meet him to “drop off” the deer. Then show up and try to get some answers or your buck back face to face.
I would, but they’re not taking any more shoulder mounts, euros, or hair on tanning for the year. Not really a way for me to drop anything off until this fall

I've had Gil (owner) do a euro and two shoulder mounts for me. I also have one currently in process with him. I've always had good interactions with him. I know he lost his shop manager a few months ago. For shoulder mounts he said he was about a year out, and that's when I received mine.

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
I used to do some taxidermy when I was younger. I started out doing my own heads and then started doing friends and friends of friends. I got up to about 15 heads a year - so just small time stuff. I did join a Taxidermist Association and attend some training seminars and stuff. My opinion is about 50% of the folks out there are salt of the earth stand up folks. The other half are somewhere between "a little shady" to folks that should probably be in jail.

My opinion is if you think enough of your animal to go get it mounted - find a reputable place to do the work. If you don't know anything about taxidermists - ask a reputable local game processor for some names. I see someone mentioned keeping the horns or antlers until they are needed for the mount. I guess that's an option - but if you feel like you need to do that - you probably don't know who you are dealing with and didn't do the homework. Do the homework BEFORE you score an animal worthy of being mounted. And - if you are price shopping to a point where $100 makes the difference between using someone reputable and rolling the dice on a company that's a bit iffy - I'd spend the extra money or just do a euro mount.

If you don't get your head back within 12 months of dropping it off - it's my opinion you have a 75% chance it will never get mounted because after 12 months - the order taking cycle starts all over again. I realize you could say "well - they could just take less orders the next year and get mine done" but - the person who has your antlers and cape has already proven they don't/can't manage their business. If you can - go pick up your antlers and move on.

Weldor

WKR
Had bad expience with a nice muley. Thought it was odd that my taxidermist wanted to put the mount in my crewcab. I thought maybe it was a curtesy. I got home unloaded it, and low and behold the plastic ear inserts were coming out of the back of the ears. Of course he said did not do that, had to have by the fireplace or some sh_t. Never did business with him again. Unfortunately other taxidermists don't like fixing others work. I have to agree with Flathead, Euro's unless it is super special. It sucks getting shined on .

jimh406

WKR
Aren't most taxidermist licensed with the state? Maybe you'd have better luck talking to the state.

In the future, if you have a meat processor that you trust, ask them for recommendations.

OP
DeerCatcherUT/CO

DeerCatcherUT/CO

Lil-Rokslider
I've had Gil (owner) do a euro and two shoulder mounts for me. I also have one currently in process with him. I've always had good interactions with him. I know he lost his shop manager a few months ago. For shoulder mounts he said he was about a year out, and that's when I received mine.
Thanks for the positive feedback. His recent google reviews have me worried. He has 3 bucks and one hide from me right now