Digiscope Dilema

I would like to start using some sort of digiscope set up for my current optics. Ollin is what I wanted to use for my spotter, but they don't advertise to support it.

Spotter: Athlon Ares G2 UHD 15-45X65
Binos: Leica Trinovid 10X42 HD

What options would someone suggest? I like the concept of an autoaligned set up (Ollin), but I havent used any before so even though it sounds nice, I don't have anything to compare it to.

Thank you.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Magview eyepiece is adjustable to a point. PhoneSkope carbon is nice set up and they probably offer the widest selection of eyepieces in the industry.

Maybe the ollin will work if you know the diameter of the eyepiece possibly another a brand is a close match

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

TaperPin

WKR
There are very specific models that are super quick to clip on and off, but as a first timer you might like something usable on a wide variety of phones and optics, then decide if you want to get something more dedicated. I was turned onto the Nova grade universal double by a spotting scope rental outfit and it’s easy to use and there’s no need to change your phone case. It’s not perfect, but if you upgrade, someone in the family will have fun using it. This baby is $175ish and I think it’s a good value because it’s so universal, yet well made. Non of us are digiscoping every time we go somewhere, so I’m not a good source of more dedicated systems.073B476F-9CE6-46C0-A0D3-E8E501D77919.jpeg

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved

This is what I have, and I like it. But, I have never had anything else to compare it to.

BCsteve

WKR
Scopecam doesn't work with the Athlon, I have one. The aluminum "fingers" of the Scopecam don't grab on the aluminum eyepiece of the Athlon. I switched to the Novagrade.

cmak

FNG
I would like to start using some sort of digiscope set up for my current optics. Ollin is what I wanted to use for my spotter, but they don't advertise to support it.

Spotter: Athlon Ares G2 UHD 15-45X65
Binos: Leica Trinovid 10X42 HD

What options would someone suggest? I like the concept of an autoaligned set up (Ollin), but I havent used any before so even though it sounds nice, I don't have anything to compare it to.

Thank you.
I just bought the same Athlon spotter. Measured eyepiece behind rubber eyecup at 55.7 mm's. The closest one Ollin makes is for a Leupold SX-4 which measures 55.85 mm according to them. So I ordered Ollin. If it's a little loose you can wrap a layer or two of black tape or something similar around the eyepiece to snug it up. You will need to keep the rubber eyecup turned all the way in so if you wear glasses, it might not work for you. Should receive Ollin this weekend so I will let know how it fits.

OP
RangerRick
I just bought the same Athlon spotter. Measured eyepiece behind rubber eyecup at 55.7 mm's. The closest one Ollin makes is for a Leupold SX-4 which measures 55.85 mm according to them. So I ordered Ollin. If it's a little loose you can wrap a layer or two of black tape or something similar around the eyepiece to snug it up. You will need to keep the rubber eyecup turned all the way in so if you wear glasses, it might not work for you. Should receive Ollin this weekend so I will let know how it fits.
Yes,please reach out so I can know. If it works, I will more than likely do the same.

OP
RangerRick
Any luck with it? How’s it work?

BluMtn

WKR
I have used the Nova Grades since they came out. Started with the single clamp and upgraded to the dual clamp when they were introduced. What is nice about them is their versatility. I can have my phone locked in, but if somebody else wants to put their phone on I just remove mine and install theirs. It may take a little adjustment, usually not much and they can take all the pictures they want. They are also built stout being all aluminum.

Samson7x

WKR
I just went through a similar issue and ordered closest size that Ollin makes, but don’t have it yet. They say if it doesn’t work, you can return for a refund. Their 25% off sale right now made me jump.

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
call Ollin with the the diameter of your eye piece in hand, they will get you fitted with the best option. Great customer service. no problem lining inside of adapter with black tape. I almost never remove my adaptor from my spotting scope so once it it snugly in place it is rock solid.

Farwest

FNG
Ollin has great customer service. They will try to give you a work around solution. They are continually releasing new lense adapters for spotting scopes.

cmak

FNG
Any luck with it? How’s it work?
Finally got this all together. If you want Ollin, order the adapter for the Leupold SX-4. It's just a hair big. I went to WM and bought a 1.75 bike innertube for about 5 bucks. Cut a cross section of tube about three quarter's inch wide. Use 4 fingers and stretch it open and slide back on metal part of eyepiece. Fits tight, doesn't move. After that push on adapter and you're all set. I tried it out and it's solid. Holds my phone tight, no movement. I think the Ollin will grip rubber better than anything else. Plus I don't want tape glue on the eyepiece. Hope this helps!