Difference between 7-day, 10 day and 12-14 day Dall Sheep hunts?

Ok, I can do math but it's more complicated than the difference is number of days.

In my research for Dall sheep outfitters, some offer 7-day hunts at almost the same price (within $2K-4K) of those outfitters that offer 10, 12 or even 14 day hunts.

In speaking with different day amount outfitters, on average, they say that it can take 1-5 days to tag out or sometimes it can take the full 7 or 10-12-13 days, depending on weather, location, any rams seen in pre-season scouting or previous hunters etc.

The 7-day areas are usually limited draw hunts in AK or fly-in hunts OTC and the 10, 12-14 day hunts are usually OTC in Canada or AK with some horse, backpacks or fly combo. Some of the shorter hunts are also in OTC areas and they claim you can add on days at a daily rate.

What makes you decide between 7-day and 10-12-14-day hunts if the outfitters and Dall are of equal quality? Or is there always a difference in quality of outfitter or quality (age class, size) of sheep between a 7 day and a 10-12-14 day trip?

The other interesting part I am reading in contracts is that if you tag out early, some of the outfitters also claim that the hunt is over and you must go back to base camp where you can either fly-out right away or stay as a guest for the remainder of days BUT not stay in the backcountry with your guide to hunt other OTC species unless you've previously booked a higher-priced combo hunt in advance. I assume this is due to limited tags. I would have liked the opportunity to hunt black bear or wolf/wolverine or fish in some of the remote country if I had a few days left that I actually paid for already, but in most cases this doesn't seem possible. It just seems odd that we wouldn't continue to hunt for OTC animals, celebrate, eat sheep meat, and continue on for the remainder of time enjoying the backcountry. I guess that outfitters want to maximize revenues and put the guide on another hunt or stop paying them for extra days or have the hunter upgrade to larger trophy species: Caribou, Moose, Grizzly. I am fully prepared to book a combo hunt if that makes the most sense- and I would love to hunt other trophy species, it's just interesting that this is the case. I just wanted people's thoughts for those who've faced this situation before or understand the industry.

Last edited:
If you are gonna spend money on a guided sheep hunt i would definitely spend the extra money for a longer hunt no mattter what time of year you go. Alot of rams in august are in places you cant reach them and take days of waiting them out to get to a spot for a shot. In september you will generally encounter more weather days. Id definitely choose the longer hunt, theres a good chance that could be a make or break gettn a ram. Time in the field is the best tactic to kill rams.

keller

WKR
I think each outfit has a good idea on what they have for sheep in an area and how long based on good weather it should take to get in position to harvest one.althpugh their are a lot of variables a longer hunt makes sense.i tagged out early on my sheep hunt and was flown out the same day due to a 4 day tsunami moving in.i would have liked to stay longer in the field but glad I didn't when the weather moved in.

cbeard64

WKR
On both my Yukon hunts we stayed the full duration of the hunt (10 days). In fact, it cost extra to pay for an early bush plane out. I took my rams on the 3rd day and 1st day, but know of others who went much longer. I would be hesitant to book for less than 10 days.

Bambistew

WKR
According to the statistics I have from 1988 to present... guided hunters in AK on OTC hunts, on "average", tag out in about 3.5 days. About 1 in 5 do not kill a sheep, also keep that in mind. Many of the good outfits run nearly 100% success and there is always circumstances that preclude success, but booking a hunt is not a sure bet you will kill a ram.

Below is a chart showing the percent that harvested a ram on a particular day of their hunt.

The bump at day 10 is likely due to input error by the hunter filling out the harvest report. Guys get confused when asked how many days they hunted. Some think that they were in the field for 10 days so they put 10 days down. Also note that out of about 10,300 NR hunters, only 350ish hunted longer than 10 days in the last 30 years. About 10 a year, its pretty uncommon to hunt that long at least for sheep only.

Weather is the biggest factor, IMO. It's not unusual to lose 2-3 days to fog/rain on a hunt.

Russp17

WKR
I would for sure book a minimum of 10 days. On a 7 day hunt what if the weather sucks for two and now your down to a 5 day hunt. I would look between 10-14 days and pick what works for you. Weather and other issues would make me nervous for booking a 7 day hunt.

Partial list of Alaska or Sheep hunts where I was or would have been unsuccessful if I only had 7 hunting days

1st Alaskan Brown Bear Hunt - 9 straight days of 30-45mph wind and sideways rain = 3 back-to-back storms - no bear taken.

2nd Alaskan Brown Bear Hunt - lost 5 days of a 9 day hunt due to heavy rain - took bear on day 8.

NWT Dall Sheep Hunt - 9 hunting days - took Ram on day 8 - cannot blame weather - we saw shootable rams several times during the hunt, but it just took that long to get a shot opportunity.

Kamchatka Snow Sheep Hunt - 10 hunting days - took Ram on day 9. The weather is much like AK and we lost 5 days due to weather/fog.

The point is a lot of factors can negatively impact hunting conditions in Alaska or otherwise on a Sheep hunt - weather, heavy fog or rising streams after weather moves out, rams not in a pursuable spot, etc. Sheep hunts are a significant investment, booking at least 9 hunting days provides some level of cushion if conditions aren’t ideal.

Jimss

WKR
Every outfitter is likely a little different. Some may say 10 hunts but there may be only 7 days hunting with a couple+ days of travel time. Some may say 10 day hunts with 10 actual days of hunting?

Weather can definitely be a factor.....you may spend several days just twiddling your thumbs in a tent. More days may mean more opportunity to look over more rams and return to a rams passed up earlier. If you hunt with horses for access you may be able to cover more land than if on foot. Some areas likely have higher sheep/ram densities than others.....some areas may have a lot higher quality rams available? Some may have higher ram quality but it may take a lot more time to find the few that exist?

I would definitely check out as many references as possible to give you a better opportunity to learn more about each outfitter. This will likely give you a better feel for how each outfitters hunts are set up, what rams are available., and what to expect for numbers and quality of rams.

flyingbrass

Lil-Rokslider
I booked a 15 day hunt and it rained 14 of those days and sprinkled a lot on the other day so it basically rained every day.