Did I go Overboard?!?!?!

BKhunter

WKR
Pulled the trigger on a Kifaru pack system. Was looking to buy once cry once. Was on the phone with the customer service people and explained I wanted a pack for all my hunting needs and going back and forth, I settled on the DT1 (7200cc). Added some extra items like a guide lid, grabber and some pockets. Now I am thinking this may be overkill if I hunt for only 3-4 days but I intend on most of my hunts being 5-6 days. I have tried it on and walked around with it and it doesn't seem to bad when it's all tied down. Anyone use this pack system for shorter trips or have it in general. Would love to hear any feedback.

BK

No such thing as going overboard with Kifaru. I have the DT1 and like it just fine. However I have their original version on the old duplex frame. I will say that for day hunting the AMR compresses down better and its bigger. A friend of mine has one and I have to say I am a little jealous. If I were to buy a pack right now it would either be the AMR, EMRII, or the new reckoning that is about to be released. You wont be unhappy with the DT1 though.

You're not "overboard". Just covered from short day trips to 10+ day trips. That's an incredibly capable and versatile set up you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd rather have too much room than too little. The great thing is, Kifaru's hold their value pretty well. Try it out, and then if you prefer to try another bag, you'll always be able to recoup quite a bit of your original investment.

every kifaru guy on here has the same feelings you do, especially when a new pack comes out, they have so many choices you just want them all
i don't think you can go wrong like others have said with a big bag, especially if you want a one bag does it all
the dt1 has you covered

you will still want other bags though!!!!

Don't have the DT1, so I can't help you with that, but I will say this. I hunt a lot here in Indiana, but it's always day trips, never staying out even for a single night. I started with a Nomad thinking that's all the space I would need and when I get to go out west next year for my first backpack hunt, then I could buy a camp bag. I hunted last year with the Nomad, and this year sold it and bought an EMRII. With the Kifaru system, as long as you buy the big bag first, you can compress down as small as you want.

I guess that was a pretty long winded response to simply say, no, you didn't go overboard at all. Great choice, and enjoy it!

The T1 is one of my favorite bags. I think you made a good choice for your first bag. That is a do all bag

I have the DT1 and the Tahr , I use the DT1 for overnight hunts if that's all I have time for , use the Tahr for my spring and summer trips ... with the DT1 I have never thought I needed a smaller bag for day hunting , it's nice to have that extra room , and the AMR is my next bag I think ...my brother has the Tahr , DT2 and the AMR and he uses the AMR And Tahr the same as I do, his DT2 hasn't seen use since last year ... good choice man !!

Nope, as has been said, can't go overboard. A prime example is how I run my Cargo Panel on extended hunts. Long story-short, I use pockets on the outside of my CP based on that hunt. On my last hunt, I swapped out pockets, sometimes daily based on what I needed. Instead of repacking a full bag, I just catered my whole rig to what I was doing that day. That's the beauty. I have an EMRII as well and that thing is customizable as well. They really turn a "bag" into a "tool" that works for you.

The T1 is a great bag and I think you'll be glad you got the pockets and the guide lid.

It will just save you from ordering them later.

Alright, let mine be the lonely voice confirming your worst nightmares. For 5-day hunt (= 4 nights), you do not need a DT1 plus guide lid, grab it, and pockets, even in the winter. What on earth could anyone be planning to carry that s/he will need almost 10,000 cubic inches for four nights? I have a DT1--great for extended (7-10-day) hunts, but I've never been able to convince myself that all the extra baggage, space, etc. is worth the hassle. I've experimented with all sorts of packs since purchasing the DT1, and sold or returned every single one, except the DT1. Now I have a Tahr on order, which, with a guide lid, grab-it, and pockets, I hope will work for overnight to 5-night trips.

I asked the same questions you're asking just before I ordered my DT1, and the feedback on this forum is what convinced me to go with a larger bag. I don't regret the decision; when you need big, there are no alternatives, and those side pockets are super useful when you need them (which is not always). But my DT1 gets put on the frame for a single, long hunt (longer than what you're planning) once each year. Otherwise, I prefer a leaner, more minimalist pack. So, my system is one massive bag for massive trips usually in winter conditions, and a smaller, scalable pack for everything else.

I used to think that if I had to choose one pack to do it all, I should have gone with a DT2, which scales up and down easily. But now that the Tahr, Markhor, Argali line is available, maybe one or two of those packs would work instead.

My 2-cents--others will disagree.

Last edited:
As said before you did not go overboard. Always nice to have too much space than not enough. Especially with the way kifaru packs compress. I run an AMR with guide lid and two large side pockets on my extended hunts. When hunting around the house, I just take off the side pockets. Nice to have lots of space for a moose quarter in my neck of the woods.

Back