Diamond M saddle

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
Does anybody know much about Diamond M saddles?
There’s a used one somewhat local to me for sale for $1200.
They have it advertised as a mccall diamond m, from what I’ve found on Google maybe McCall designed a saddle for Diamond m?
It’s a lightweight Wade saddle.
Any info or experience with them is appreciated.
Thanks
Colby

OP
C

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
Copy, as much as made in china doesn't squeal my wheels do you know if they were any good?

jthomas

Lil-Rokslider
I have owned two Mccall Diamond M saddles still have one. The leather and patterns are made in the USA and then assembled in China. They have a very impressive Kevlar tree. There's a video of a lariat rope tied to the Kevlar tree and a hitching post being pulled by a tractor. It broke the lariat rope and the tree was undamaged.

bmart2622

WKR
It seems like if Kevlar trees where any good youd see them being used in customs and high end saddles

jthomas

Lil-Rokslider
They are good and stronger than a rawhide tree but tradition plays a big role in saddle making. So rawhide covered wood trees are used the most. I have a John Willemsma Wade saddle that he built for me on a Warren Wright rawhide tree. Amazing saddle but your talking $6000 not $1200. My point is The Diamond M saddles are a big bang for the buck!

OP
C

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
I’m currently riding a Sheridan which is basically same same as Corriente so definitely on the cheap end.
No complaints with it, seems to fit my horse good and me good. It’s about 40 lbs all up, it is mainly the weight of this one that caught my eye.
I’ve been back and forth on it for the last few days, I wish it was a little closer to me to go check it out but it’s about an hour and a half away from me to go tire kick it.

bmart2622

WKR
I wouldn't ride a Corriente or Sheridan either. Anytime weight is being significantly cut you are compromising somewhere else, usually in strength and durability.

bmart2622

WKR
Tough to beat a custom. As far as non customs Ive had good luck with Billy Cook, the real ones not the Longhorn knockoffs, Cactus has been pretty good, I had a Circle Y that was ok. I do a lot of ranching and roping in addition to trail riding so my needs might be different than yours but quality is quality.

bmart2622

WKR
I personally like a swell fork better than a wade. I like having some swell to get my legs against/under when roping or when things are getting western. Low association/Will James type trees are my favorite.

jthomas

Lil-Rokslider
I personally like a swell fork better than a wade. I like having some swell to get my legs against/under when roping or when things are getting western. Low association/Will James type trees are my favorite.
You can put buck rolls on a wade and get the same effect. Wade saddles set you closer to the horse and the rigging is less bulky which allows you to feel the horse a little better narrows your seat a little more also.

OP
C

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies fellas, I’m going to keep riding what I’m riding for the time being.
I’m not ready to spend $3-$4k on a real nice one just yet.