Dial sights - hunting application?

Hnthrdr

WKR
Fast Eddie xl on both of my bows, 2 pin sliders are deadly. Keep it set at 30/40 and I’m good to go from 5-50 yards, but I practice gap shooting a lot. I’m my opinion if you need to re dial, animal is usually a ways off, you have to learn where your arrow hits though. Love having a clear less busy sight picture. Also I’m ranging a bunch of stuff when I set up. I primarily archery elk hunt in dark timber though so shots are usually 30 and in

Wapiti1

WKR
I shoot a 5 pin MBG slider set at 30/40/50/60/70. In Indiana, it never gets dialed while hunting and I don't think I've used any but the 30 yard pin in the last 10 years. When I practice, I dial to 125 yards, but never dial hunting whitetails or turkey here.

Out west, it gets dialed when needed. Most often on antelope, and bluff country mule deer.

It's a tool like any other. You might use it only occasionally but have it available and ready when needed. I have my bow setup to hunt anywhere for anything.

Jeremy

spot hogg triple stack has solved the problem for me. Hated the cluster of a bunch of pins in my sight picture but wanted the ability to dial in certain situations. To me its the best of both worlds but i also understand its not for everybody.

OP
Echo

Echo

FNG
Thanks for all the feedback and sharing y’all’s experience. It’s giving me a lot to ponder.

87TT

WKR
You already have a Rush. The sight housing is interchangeable with the Verdict. Good for a spare. That's what I did for mine. All three have the same pin size and colors. When I switch bows, I don't have to think about it.

OP
Echo

Echo

FNG
You already have a Rush. The sight housing is interchangeable with the Verdict. Good for a spare. That's what I did for mine. All three have the same pin size and colors. When I switch bows, I don't have to think about it.
Dang, I didn’t even think of that. Great point - thank you!

I primarily archery hunt moose and some for whitetail.
I was a spot hogg hunter fixed 5 pin guy for 10+ years.
Switched last summer to a fast Eddie XL triple stack.
I loved the new sight for practice, fit and treestand deer hunting.
Not sure how I’m gonna like it when I have a bull past 40 and have to adjust it in the heat of the moment.
Might not be a big deal… just haven’t had to do it yet.
Definitely like the sight picture better.
Why not set that top pin at 25-30 yards and just hold under on short shots?

LostArra

WKR
What a rabbit hole!
With all the different sight configurations it's pretty obvious there is no best sight for everyone.

I bought a used bow for a backup with a single pin slider that I had intended to replace with my standard 3 pin fixed. I never would have known how much better I shoot with a single vertical pin if I had not bought that bow. Now both bows have single pin sliders.
I think it has to do with many years as a kid shooting bb guns and 22's with iron sights.

I've adjusted the slider exactly one time in a hunting situation after shooting under a cow elk and she stood there and looked at the arrow in the ground. I was lucky, she wasn't.

Whether it's a single pin or 7 pins there will be a time you have to guess yardage and aim accordingly or just pass up the shot. Practice Practice Practice especially at odd yardages.

CMF

WKR
I have the black gold mountain ascent lite 3 pin.
5 pins were a little too clustered for me.
I figure anything past 40 or 50 I need to range and if I have time to range, I should have time to dial.
Mine are set 20/30/40. If I didn't like shooting grouse and squirrels so much, I'd split the first pin and do 25/40/50.
Like others said, it's nice for practicing longer distance, follow up shots or just shooting longer if you feel comfortable. If conditions are right, I'll sling an arrow at 60 or 70 yards, maybe longer if its a wild hog or coyote. Haven't had the chance to shoot past 45 yet tho.

OP
Echo

Echo

FNG
Thanks for sharing your experience. I’ve been thinking about the 3 pin set up and what ranges I would choose for my pins. I live out west and primarily hunt elk and antelope with my bow. My max range, under ideal conditions, would be 50 yards. I’ve had a few encounters in that range with elk where I never would have had time to dial. But most of my encounters have been under 30 yards. The spread is so large that I worry a 3 pin may not handle it.

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
I do exactly the same with 2 bows except the newer sight has an extra yardage indicators on the slide. BG sights are top notch.

MattB

WKR
For the last 7 or so years I’ve been using a simple 5 pin Black Gold rush. It’s been great but it’s a simple fixed 5 pin sight. Maybe no need to upgrade but I’m curious to learn more about the other styles of sights out there.

I’ve been thinking of upgrading and I’ve seen a lot of ‘dial sights’. Who has used them for hunting and what are the benefits/drawbacks?

Finally - what would y’all recommend for a new sight?
How far are you comfortable shooting? My opinion is that adding complexity unnecessarily is an easy way to screw yourself under pressure. Lots of things sound cool on the internet that suck when you need to use them in the field.

OP
Echo

Echo

FNG
How far are you comfortable shooting? My opinion is that adding complexity unnecessarily is an easy way to screw yourself under pressure. Lots of things sound cool on the internet that suck when you need to use them in the field.
I feel comfortable to 50 yards in the right conditions (I.e. not too steep, windy, and clear lanes). I’ve practiced to that distance a lot.

LostArra

WKR
Excellent.
This could be posted in most hunting sections, not just archery.

WCB

WKR
I have MBG Ascent I believe. It is probably 6 years old...3 pin slider

less clutter. first pin set at 27yds so essentially my 3 pins are 30,40,50 then I dial after that. So for 99% of hunting and shots I have better view through the site less of a chance to use the wrong pin, and I can shoot out to 100+ yards for practice or dial for longer distances out west and can dial to exact yardage rather than trying to float a pronghorn between my 60 and 70 yard pin or whatever

I previously came from a 7pin fixed, went to 5 pins, then went to the 3 pin slider and would never go back. I also for part of a season went to a single pin slider...dumbest decision ever. Rutting buck chasing does around my stand went to shoot him at 25 yards runs out to 45 ish even knowing the distance I have to let down re adjust sight blah blah blah.

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
I’m doing the same thing this year. Moving from a fixed 5 to slider 2 pin vertical stack or whatever that’s called. Picked up a fast eddie on the classifieds for a good deal so not out too terribly much if I don’t like it. I decided on a 2 pin because to me the main benefit is reducing the clutter while still able to shoot at different yardage via dialing. But we will see!

OP
Echo

Echo

FNG
I have MBG Ascent I believe. It is probably 6 years old...3 pin slider

less clutter. first pin set at 27yds so essentially my 3 pins are 30,40,50 then I dial after that. So for 99% of hunting and shots I have better view through the site less of a chance to use the wrong pin, and I can shoot out to 100+ yards for practice or dial for longer distances out west and can dial to exact yardage rather than trying to float a pronghorn between my 60 and 70 yard pin or whatever

I previously came from a 7pin fixed, went to 5 pins, then went to the 3 pin slider and would never go back. I also for part of a season went to a single pin slider...dumbest decision ever. Rutting buck chasing does around my stand went to shoot him at 25 yards runs out to 45 ish even knowing the distance I have to let down re adjust sight blah blah blah.
Great feedback, thanks for sharing. What poundage is your bow set to? How much do you need to compensate for those shots under 20 yards with you set up?

CMF

WKR
Thanks for sharing your experience. I’ve been thinking about the 3 pin set up and what ranges I would choose for my pins. I live out west and primarily hunt elk and antelope with my bow. My max range, under ideal conditions, would be 50 yards. I’ve had a few encounters in that range with elk where I never would have had time to dial. But most of my encounters have been under 30 yards. The spread is so large that I worry a 3 pin may not handle it.
Put your target out and shoot at 20 and 30 and measure the difference, mine was about 5" difference from what I remember with my DXT at 70lbs shooting maxima red SD's. I hunted many years with my top pin split from 20/30. I think with elk it won't be enough to matter if your to pin is dead on at 25 or 27, etc. you will be good from 0 to 30
In regards to your question above, I'll back up if I'm closer than 20yds and get dead on 20 to make a better shot on a grouse. Deer and elk, I rarely consider an adjustment under 20, maybe on a deer aim a little more for heart i f I have time to think about it.
Try 20/30/40, 25/35/45, and 30/40/50 and see what feels better.

CMF

WKR
My opinion is that adding complexity unnecessarily is an easy way to screw yourself under pressure. Lots of things sound cool on the internet that suck when you need to use them in the field.
I generally agree, but I think in most shots people aren't even touching the dial in the field. In going from 5 pin to 3 pin, I feel like I'm removing complexity. Anything past 50 is going to take more time and consideration to get a shot off, with or without a dial due to the need to pause and range the animal. I feel like if I'm going to have the time to range, I'll have the time to dial, but time will tell, I haven't had to dial on animal yet.

Elkhntr08

WKR
A Spot Hogg 5 or 7 pin sight was my goto for years. Still have 2 of them.
Got a Fast Eddie MRT 3 pin and really like it. Went from.19 pins to .10 which seems to be better for me. Set the pins at 20, 30 and 40 which covers stand hunting for the most part. Crank the dial for anything longer. Best part is, I don’t have to count pins anywhere, anything over 40, shoot the top pin.