Determining Road Access

andyaz

FNG
can't really know unless you get there. "publicly accessible", sure but maybe not to you depending on what rig you're driving. here in AZ there are ""roads"" on every map open year round that I can't even get through on my UTV.

Firedad

FNG
Road conditions change year to year, especially on those smaller side FS roads.
Been down some like you described but instead of a hole it was trees growing too close to the narrow road.
No way to really know without driving them, atvs work best for that we've found.
This is why I suggested call the FS or BLM fire stations. We drive these roads throughout the year and are paying close attention to accessibility.

OP
K
Thanks all! Lots of great resources. Overlaying six maps right now and found quite a few that weren’t on onx. Keeping a list of questionable ones to call around and ask about.

Firedad

FNG
Thanks all! Lots of great resources. Overlaying six maps right now and found quite a few that weren’t on onx. Keeping a list of questionable ones to call around and ask about.
Is there a specific area you are looking at or is this a general question? So not to blast your spot you could pm me. I might have contacts in your area for you to talk to.

The FS puts out Motor Vehicle Use Maps. They are about the most accurate on their land.
This is really the best way, and the way FS does things around here the only way to know if a road is open or not. Many roads here that were closed in the last 5? years that have no signs or gates, and FS says it is on you to have the map to know the laws. They Will ticket you even if there are no signs.

This is really the best way, and the way FS does things around here the only way to know if a road is open or not. Many roads here that were closed in the last 5? years that have no signs or gates, and FS says it is on you to have the map to know the laws. They Will ticket you even if there are no signs.
That is absolutely correct. In my neck of the woods, if a road has a gate on it, whether the gate is opened or closed, if the road is not on the map, it is closed by default. Amazingly enough, lots of roads are excluded from being shown on the mvum's.

lowpressure

Lil-Rokslider
MVUM for forest
BLM map for BLM
County map for county
You can compare the county map to onX roads if you use onX and can then create your one onx road layer if you wanted. You can also add the county maps to GE with a little work.

View attachment 535724
Coming to hang out for a few days so you can teach me 😂 I’ll bring the beverages n some backstrap