Deschutes Sheep Hunt

Congrats on the tag! I wouldn’t mess with floating; the River permit system on the Deschutes is a complicated mess (thanks BLM) and there are easier ways to get around. The stretch of river you’ll be hunting is basically from Shearers falls downstream to the Columbia. You can drive the east side side of the river about 15 miles down from Shearers falls to a place called Mack’s canyon boat launch and campground. Plenty of people have killed sheep that they glassed from this road. Downstream from Mack’s, there is a very nice and flat gravel road following the river that you can mountain bike on all the way to the mouth. My suggestion would be to camp at Mack’s or nearby and then drive/bike until you glass up sheep. And maybe bring a pack raft to cross the river if you find them across the way.

Good luck. The steelhead and trout fishing can be epic that time of year, so don’t forget your pole.

OP
Huntforever
Would that trail form Max down river be good enough to bike a small trailer for gear

Sako76

WKR
I’ve rafted the Deschutes River about 20 times hunting and fishing from Trout Creek to Maupin with some river rats from Portland! It isn’t for amateurs or the faint hearted, especially Whitehorse. You will be further down River, you might consider another way in or hiring a raft guide.