Deodorant?

What do you guys use in the back country or hunting in general? I've been using the travel sized Old Spice ones and just play the wind... have use a scent killer brand in the past and if anything I smelt worse after 2 days.

Mike

I try and stick to "hunting" deodorants. Tried Dead Down Wind but felt it was too greasy/sticky for my taste. Pretty sure I use the Scent Killer and don't have a problem with it (HS Scents has worked for as well). I don't sweat a lot, but I certainly don't like the clammy feeling in my pits due to physical activity.

I use Scent Away or Arm and Hammer. I typically use deodorant vs. antiperspirant so I lean towards the Arm & Hammer. Antiperspirants tend to dry and chaff me out after a couple days. Tried Dead Down Wind and had the same experience as bigeasy.

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
IMO, don't use anything. Your out in the backcountry, not going on a date. Soaps, scented things, those don't belong out in the backcountry when hunting. Those very unnatural smells can theoretically be detected by animals you are trying to hunt.

If its an issue of you sweating profusely and getting chaffed etc in and around your arm pit area then i recommend using something like gold bond powder, or even body glide. But in general would stay away from anything with a scent. I don't know for sure how big of a deal scent really is, but i am sure the more you can do to "mask" it the better your odds. Though i am still not convinced it makes a huge difference, but am sure it does to an extent.

sk1

WKR
i havent had any issues with any of the scent free deoderants.....maybe i just dont stink :D

OP
HellsCanyon
I don't have bad BO but I can definitely tell after about 2-3 days that I haven't showered... Will always pack SOMETHING with me and I haven't been in a situation yet where I wish I wouldn't of used deodorant. I couldn't imagine sharing a tent with a buddy or even the GF after a few days.
Are you ever going to be in a situation where you get busted by wind and say "Man, I shouldn't of been wearing that deodorant!"...???

Mike

MattB

WKR
For trips shorter than 5-6 days, you guys need to experience Lavilin - another wonder product from the Israeli's. The night before you leave you dab it onto the areas where you do not want funk. In the morning, you shower it off. Nothing to carry into the field and no stink for 5+ days, it is great.

OP
HellsCanyon
For trips shorter than 5-6 days, you guys need to experience Lavilin - another wonder product from the Israeli's. The night before you leave you dab it onto the areas where you do not want funk. In the morning, you shower it off. Nothing to carry into the field and no stink for 5+ days, it is great.

Furreel??? :)

sk1

WKR
i would stay away from a strong smelling deodorant like old spice, you never know when the wind swirls and maybe thats stronger than your scent and they pick it up....no way to prove that, but something that smells as strong as old spice im not chancing it, yes play the wind, but dont give yourself up either with something like that. at least thats how i see it

Cool! That sounds like the ultimate solution...

I've had great luck with the DDW wipes. You can sneak them into even the most stuffed pack. They help you stay ahead of the funk and feels a little like a quick sponge bath.

where do we find this miracle product?

Ozz08

WKR
Dead down wind sucked. HS scents has worked very well for me.

I've used all of the hunting specific deodorants and I thought the dead down wind was the best. I stopped bringing deodorants completely a couple years ago. I dont really get bad BO and Since I stopped wearing poly as a base layer (especially under armour) I stinK a heck of a lot less anyway.

bobhunts

WKR
ScentAway felt like I was putting glue under my my arms it I remembered the brand right. Usually I bring the dead down wind and use when i can shower but in a pack just wipes from the said company.Bob.