Density altitude and sight tapes

CMF

WKR
Maybe for its own thread, but for you guys that are frequently switching site tapes, Are you purchasing them or making your own or saving them when you take them off?

I'm shooting BG mountain ascent and the tape kits are $20. I've thought about switching them to shoot different arrow setups or heavier poundage during the off-season then lowering it slightly during hunt season for ease of drawing, but not real interested in spending $20 everytime I need to switch.

It would be nice if manufacturers could make the site tape plate removable so you could switch between them.

jonesn3

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe for its own thread, but for you guys that are frequently switching site tapes, Are you purchasing them or making your own or saving them when you take them off?

I'm shooting BG mountain ascent and the tape kits are $20. I've thought about switching them to shoot different arrow setups or heavier poundage during the off-season then lowering it slightly during hunt season for ease of drawing, but not real interested in spending $20 everytime I need to switch.

It would be nice if manufacturers could make the site tape plate removable so you could switch between them.
I’m using Precision Cut Archery (PCA) most recently for site tapes. I prefer that to the Archers Advantage (AA) created site tapes that I used previously. PCA seems much more accurate if you have access to a chronograph. I adjusted my site tape several times this off-season, but once I got it dialed in, I didn’t change anything for hunting season or for BHs.

180ls1

WKR
For me, I would prefer not create a unique and different site tape for broadheads. I’d rather keep the same site tape, which is sighted in for “at home” conditions near El. 1000 ft, and if there were a big enough difference between FP and BH site tapes, I’ll just make a mental note of the difference and adjust in the field. Again, all this is assuming “it matters” a significant amount within your Max Effective Range. I wanted to check if it did make a difference and by how much.

With that said, I measured a 2.5 to 3.5 fps average difference between field points and broadheads at 20 and 70 yards. Using that info for the site tape, and with same D.A. and bow/arrow data, the site tapes only differ by 1 yd mark between 60 and 80 yds, and basically 2 yd marks beyond that. Using a higher elevation, say El. 6000 ft for my hunting area, the added drag of the broadhead compared to the field point is offset by the atmospherics at the higher elevation. The resulting site tapes are virtually identical out to 60 yards. For a more extreme case, say El. 10,000 ft, even with the broadhead, the ballistics show it could be slightly “hot” compared to the field point at home. Obviously this is just was the ballistics show. At the end of the day, it seems very worthwhile to verify your POI once you arrive at the hunting area.

Fantastic! Thanks for posting the chart.

@BFM - look at the chart.