Deep snow and moose kill

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
We had a couple 3' snow falls this last winter. The effects on the moose calfs is starting to show up. We have a down calf just appearing next to our driveway. And another I've been watching a quarter mile down the road. I would expect that further out where there is too many wolves it was much worse. We've had a few years like this fairly close in years so I'd certainly expect it to have an effect in the coming moose seasons.
Hey folks that come up to hunt buying a wolf tag might help. Bear toooo. In areas on the northern edge of Cook Inlet have moose calf survival rates near 7%. Black bears are pretty thick.
Even if you don't harvest an animal, the experience to have the opportunity and your money go's to help biologists that study them.
It's up to all of us to consider how things go.

Wolf88

FNG
We had a couple 3' snow falls this last winter. The effects on the moose calfs is starting to show up. We have a down calf just appearing next to our driveway. And another I've been watching a quarter mile down the road. I would expect that further out where there is too many wolves it was much worse. We've had a few years like this fairly close in years so I'd certainly expect it to have an effect in the coming moose seasons.
Hey folks that come up to hunt buying a wolf tag might help. Bear toooo. In areas on the northern edge of Cook Inlet have moose calf survival rates near 7%. Black bears are pretty thick.
Even if you don't harvest an animal, the experience to have the opportunity and your money go's to help biologists that study them.
It's up to all of us to consider how things go.
Ooooook?
Do I throw darts at the lower 48?
Where is this?

VernAK

WKR
Moose calf survival even in mild winters can be limited and is the reason the Scandinavian countries harvest many of the calves in fall. They don't have near the predators that Alaska has so many more moose survive to the fall hunting season. Alaska has attempted moose calf hunts but it's just not socially acceptable here.

Last winter all of the ungulates here in Delta Jct took a huge loss but even with this mild winter, there are a few calves that succumbed.

Htm84

WKR
Ooooook?
Do I throw darts at the lower 48?
Where is this?
Well his screen name is AK cabin so that’s probably a fairly decent initial clue. North side of Cook Inlet is another. Still a fairly large area he’s describing but if your throwing darts at the lesser 48 your a ways off…

OP
A

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
Well his screen name is AK cabin so that’s probably a fairly decent initial clue. North side of Cook Inlet is another. Still a fairly large area he’s describing but if your throwing darts at the lesser 48 your a ways off…
OK, Cook Inlet is the body of water just north of Anchorage. You fly over it when landing. From Wasilla to illiamna, Anchorage to base of Denali.
Wasilla, Anchorage Illiamna and Denali are in Alaska. Eh guess I can get a bit nonchalant maybe just ol
But actually the snow levels around the state along with too many wolves n bears are a big problem

Last edited: