Decoy or ground blind?

First time hunting pronghorn. I drew a short range weapons only hunt in central Idaho. I'll be using a smooth bore shotgun shooting slugs. Pretty open, flat, sagebrush country. I just want to be successful, not looking for a trophy buck. Would a ground blind set up by water or fence crossing give me the best odds to harvest a buck? Or would spot and stalk with a decoy be just as good an option? Season is late Sept to late October, would the earlier part of the season in peak rut be the best time to hunt? Thanks!

Rich M

WKR
If you’vecread the other decoy posts, they rarely work.

Blind is a good idea, get a sturdy one cause blowing wind will be an issue.

Or go find an active fence crossing and lay on the ground at your max effective range and pop one when it crosses.

Just make the hunt fun for you. Good luck.

Went on a hunt for antelope in New Mexico, sat in a blind over water the first day and it was incredibly boring and hot. Next day we did spot and stalk, only to lose time and effort because decoy didn’t fool them. Went back and settled into the blind for the third day and shot a nice buck after sitting for 11 hours.

KenLee

WKR
Blind. I'd want them close.
What kind of accuracy are you getting out of the smooth bore barrel?
I'll admit to not using slugs in years, but accuracy was sad back then.

Are you planning on showing up and then trying to find a water source to set a blind up on ? Antelope are habitual as to where they water ,but it takes some time and work to figure it out. Decoys require covering lots of ground and trying until everything works. I would take both. As you hunt the first days with a decoy pay attention to find blind locations. A water source would be my first choice. Good luck.

OP
IdahoAngler85
Are you planning on showing up and then trying to find a water source to set a blind up on ? Antelope are habitual as to where they water ,but it takes some time and work to figure it out. Decoys require covering lots of ground and trying until everything works. I would take both. As you hunt the first days with a decoy pay attention to find blind locations. A water source would be my first choice. Good luck.
I live close to the unit, like 15-40 min away from hunting spots, so scouting wont be an issue. I plan on having water sources hopefully scouted and figured out before the season opens. Thanks for the advice!

OP
IdahoAngler85
Blind. I'd want them close.
What kind of accuracy are you getting out of the smooth bore barrel?
I'll admit to not using slugs in years, but accuracy was sad back then.
Plan on shooting slugs tomorrow at the range to see what accuracy I'm getting.

Decoying works. Don't let the naysayers scare you off from trying. Out off the five Antelope I have shot with my bow, I have used my decoy for all 5. Where I live (Southern Alberta) blinds are harder to use because water sources are usually rivers. I did dig a hole once and sit at a fence crossing ,after 3 days I had chance at a buck but he slipped through so fast I did not get a shot.

WCB

WKR
Can you use scopes? I would recommend Federal Truball slugs. I shoot a 20guage and have killed many deer at 150 yards + (870 express with a 3-9 scope).

A blind would not be a bad bet. The thing a decoy will do however is let you close the last few yards to get into 150 or under. I will also buy you time to set up for the shot. Honestly depending on the actual restrictions (optics or not) makes a big difference.

kcm2

WKR
When can you set up your blind? Antelope are not stupid. It takes a week or better for them to get used to a blind. So, if you can't set it up early, I'd say decoy or natural hiding spot. If you have time, the blind.