debone elk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What's the process when you work around to groin when coming from the spine side?

My main goal is to get as much of the meat off the elk as quickly and cleanly as I possibly can. I'm normally working solo, so having the hide down as in my pic allows me a surface to lay meat if I need to as well. This process also keeps everything clean, and without any body cavity contamination.........other than blood from the wounds. Evidence of sex is absolutely the last thing I work on.....on the opposite side rear leg. By that time it's a heck of a lot easier to move things around and make the right cuts without any possibility of opening up the intestine cavity any sooner than I want to.

I brought home 268lbs of meat this year, and literally only found less than a dozen hairs in all the meat. It was pretty darn clean.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My main goal is to get as much of the meat off the elk as quickly and cleanly as I possibly can. I'm normally working solo, so having the hide down as in my pic allows me a surface to lay meat if I need to as well. This process also keeps everything clean, and without any body cavity contamination.........other than blood from the wounds. Evidence of sex is absolutely the last thing I work on.....on the opposite side rear leg. By that time it's a heck of a lot easier to move things around and make the right cuts without any possibility of opening up the intestine cavity any sooner than I want to.

I brought home 268lbs of meat this year, and literally only found less than a dozen hairs in all the meat. It was pretty darn clean.

Good deal. Yeah you can do the table cloth in the other direction too. I personally try to leave sex on both sides incase I accidentally cut one off or it gets ripped off going into a bag or such (its just personal preference) I'm trying to envision how that would go skinning from the back. Till next year I guess. ;) I'm always trying out different variations to see if I like something more/less.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I personally try to leave sex on both sides incase I accidentally cut one off or it gets ripped off going into a bag or such

I'll just say that I have absolutely made that mistake before. But at that point, what can you do? If I got checked, I would hope for an officer that used common sense more than letter of the law mentality. I'm pretty sure I could talk and walk the officer through it and come out clean. Most of those guys (like most LEO's) are pretty good at knowing when someone is trying to pull one over on them, or get away with something.