Debating an Upgrade from Ruger to Tikka CTR or UPR

sdupontjr

WKR
CTR is a great rifle. Haven’t had the chance to handle a UPR yet, so can’t speak to the stock. If you ever feel like you’d eventually swap stocks, then save the $$ between the two and go CTR.
Love mine, and that older T3 I picked up from you several years ago still hammers. The sponge paint job you had on it is just starting to wear on the forearm where the bag sits, but still shoots lights out. The CTR 20" I picked up and put on a diet is damn near as lite as the T3. the shorter barrel definitely makes it handy.

Dry fire practice tonight with 20” 6.5 CM UPR

View attachment 753162
General,
I'm looking at suppressors for my CTR 308. Is that a direct thread of adapter and which would you prefer?

General,
I'm looking at suppressors for my CTR 308. Is that a direct thread of adapter and which would you prefer?

Banish Backcountry direct thread 5/8x24. Great hunting suppressor. Lightweight and short. It’s not the quietest can but that’s not what I’m looking for.

OP
B

Bidwell

FNG
Yes, .5g increments. Sometimes I go to the range, other times I just shoot it in the ditch. Strictly looking for pressure signs. Once I find pressure, I use to back off 2g. Load 3 at say 47, the 47.5 and so forth up to right at Max pressure. Like in the pic below, at 49.5g, I still didn't hit any pressure signs, however things opened up.

View attachment 753194

Now, I do the same, but back off .5g from max, load them to where the boat tail meets the neck/shoulder junction and shoot 10 rounds for grouping.

This is a good read and wish I would have found this a long time ago to save on reloading components.
This is really helpful! Thanks. Hopefully I'll have time at the range this weekend to try some different powder charges.

That thread is interesting.. sounds like some advice I've heard echoed on Hornady's reloading podcast. Start with course changes first, if things are stable and working well then fine tune.

Thanks again.

OP
B

Bidwell

FNG
49g is pretty full but I don't hear any crunching. It could be slightly compressed.

I did have a load with TAC at 50g with fed 210m primers, but TAC was hard to find and I have about 4lbs of varget. Thus me finding a load with it. Didn't try TAC with the cci200's, so really no comparison. But I'm good with the 49g of varget. You may just need to bump up the load and watch for pressure. Your a good 3g less than me and what others run. Velocity is the key with the 130's. Try to drive them close to 3000 fps or more.
Since I already have a 308, I'm thinking about getting another caliber like 6.5 creedmoor or maybe 7mm 08. But, I already have the reloading components for 308 and sure wouldn't mind not having to re buy everything. Do you think it makes more sense to get another 308 for a jump in quality from my ruger or get another cartridge to allow for different types of shooting. I'd like to have a good range gun but also something I would have no problem taking out for deer or pig. I'm open to any cartridge suggestions as well.

Since I already have a 308, I'm thinking about getting another caliber like 6.5 creedmoor or maybe 7mm 08. But, I already have the reloading components for 308 and sure wouldn't mind not having to re buy everything. Do you think it makes more sense to get another 308 for a jump in quality from my ruger or get another cartridge to allow for different types of shooting. I'd like to have a good range gun but also something I would have no problem taking out for deer or pig. I'm open to any cartridge suggestions as well.

All you need is a 6.5 Creedmoor die, H4350, brass and projectiles.

Any range is full of Hornady 6.5 brass and people shooting factory ammo are more than happy to give you the brass.

Loading 6.5 Creedmoor is easy and get excellent results. 41.5 grains H4350 with 140 ELDM or 143 ELDX is the easy button.

OP
B

Bidwell

FNG
All you need is a 6.5 Creedmoor die, H4350, brass and projectiles.

Any range is full of Hornady 6.5 brass and people shooting factory ammo are more than happy to give you the brass.

Loading 6.5 Creedmoor is easy and get excellent results. 41.5 grains H4350 with 140 ELDM or 143 ELDX is the easy button.
I know, It doesn't have to be as complicated or as expensive as I've made it with my 308. I like to use lapua brass, expanding mandrels, Redding dies and now getting into the competition shell holders for shoulder bumping, and will be using a Giraud tri way trimmer which is caliber specific. Not to mention comparator tools and headspace gauge. Probably looking at 400 minimum. For my budget rifle and level of shooting ability I go waaay overboard.