Deadhorse Outfitters...

Jmort1754

WKR
Did a search and not much came up, has anyone hunted with them?

My dad wants to do a caribou hunt within the next few years and I am just exploring options.

kaboku68

WKR
Hook runs a very good outfit. His customers are generally very happy. He took the entire Weatherby staff out and they were very pleased.

We didn’t hunt with deadhorse but we used another transporter that operated at the same boat ramp as him. I think there were 5 different airboats taking hunters up that river. We floated out so we were able to see more country than the groups that just got dropped in one place. We saw more hunters than we saw caribou. I think the longest stretch we went without seeing another camp was 2 miles in about 30-40 miles of river. Our transporters were good to us and i have nothing bad to say about them, but I won’t be back. Way too crowded for that kind of money.

We didn’t hunt with deadhorse but we used another transporter that operated at the same boat ramp as him. I think there were 5 different airboats taking hunters up that river. We floated out so we were able to see more country than the groups that just got dropped in one place. We saw more hunters than we saw caribou. I think the longest stretch we went without seeing another camp was 2 miles in about 30-40 miles of river. Our transporters were good to us and i have nothing bad to say about them, but I won’t be back. Way too crowded for that kind of money.
Oh man...that's harsh. It's hunts like this that suck so hard you must prepare to create a black hole capable of dragging all of humanity into oblivion.

black hole.gif

Yeah I wasn’t happy about it. But I had been warned before hand that could be the case. But I had agreed to go with another guy and held up my end of the deal. I don’t regret it, but lesson learned. The fishin was great though!

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
I met and talked to Captain Hook when I was up there. We wanted to use his service but we needed 6 days and we only had 5 days left to hunt. I would gladly use his outfit. He is a good guy and will give his best effort to insure you a good hunt. He gave us good information on areas to walk in and his fishing advice lead to very successful fishing.

$3,300 per person per their website. Shows booked until 2025.
Arrowhead Outfitters is $3900 for 23 and $4500 for 24. Service the same areas and you won't have people on top of each other.

MNBill

Lil-Rokslider
Any recommendations for an airboat operation ? Looking at the iveshek and surrounding area. I have already found Deadhorse Outfitters, but they are booked until 2025. I would like to go this year. Also any information about operators to stay away from. Feel free to PM if you don’t want to go public with any comments.
Thanks for any help

Bill

Neptune

FNG
I hunted with them two years ago and will do so again this year. Every question I had was answered quickly and completely. All of my concerns were addressed in both emails and over the phone. When I did have some small problems in the field (of my own doing), Hook went well out of his way to assist me. I have no hesitations about going with them again. Very professional.

I hunted with them two years ago and will do so again this year. Every question I had was answered quickly and completely. All of my concerns were addressed in both emails and over the phone. When I did have some small problems in the field (of my own doing), Hook went well out of his way to assist me. I have no hesitations about going with them again. Very professional.
How many other hunters did your see and let's see you pictures from the hunt?

Last edited:

Neptune

FNG
How many other hunters did you see and let's see you pictures from the hunt?
I saw exactly one other hunter, on a high area over a mile away. I also watched some people coming down the river in a boat a long ways off that had stopped for lunch or something and were shooing a bear away. I was solo, so I don't have much in the way of pictures, although I can send you pictures of the tundra if you need to see what it looks like. I will be going yet again this year and maybe I can get some for you then.

Nontyp

FNG
We went with North Star but they are using the same launch and hunting the same area. We had boat motor issues so Captain Hook took one of our groups up river. We hunted 7 guys in one camp and shot 5 bulls and almost had a 6th. I think Dead Horse is putting guys closer together than North Star. We hunted off the road 2 years prior and we were 0 for 4 but learned a lot. We are thinking about going back up next yr

carter33

WKR
I have not hunted with them, but I have hunted the same rivers they run on the north slope for caribou and unexpectedly the same river south of the brooks they utilize for moose hunts. Basically they access the same rivers as resident do.

Didn’t care much when I saw them north of the slope for caribou, when caribou are there everyone has success. I was less happy seeing them in the area I was going for moose. Of course they had the right to be there, I just wasn’t expecting it.

If I were coming to Alaska for a hunt I wouldn’t consider them for moose, it’s a lower density area and you’ll probably have competition. Maybe they’ve changed areas though, but any river from the highway that can be run will have residents.

If you can pull the money together a fly out will probably provide a better experience and more opportunities.