Day/stalk/Mid-stiff boot?

Hi guys, I'm looking for a comfortable pair of "middle of the road boots". I have a pair of kenetrek mountain guides for the steep, heavy long pack outs but I would like to have something with a little less stiffness in the sole and more maneuverable. Yet I'm not wanting a sneaker with no support also. I've been looking at the Lowa Uplander gtx but still not sure. Any suggestions???

Hanwag yukon or Alaskan, heavy duty but not overly stiff.

Camo fire has the hanwag Yellowstone's on sale right now. I have no experience with them though

Last edited:
So i tried on a pair of Salewa Mountain Trainers Mid leather and there Alp Trainer Mids the other day.. Both were awesome and more of the middle ground you sound like your looking for. they were extremely lightweight but had a stiff enough sole that seemed like it would do good in hunting applications. Thats probably my next pair for day hikes and so forth. I am using the Scarpa Kinesis Pro GTX now and love them but for some applications they are overkill.

bates

WKR
Salewa Crow will fit the bill, if you want more tennis shoe type go with the mtn trainer

KHNC

WKR
Salomon 4D Ultra GTX is my choice for exactly what you are looking for.

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
Meindl perfekt hikers are an awesome boot for what you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

lucascole76

Lil-Rokslider
Crispi Idaho gtx
Just purchased mine , have done about 15 miles couldn't be happier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackovis

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Crispi Idaho Gtx as well and love them but if you are wanting an even lighter-weight, quieter option I would take a serious look at the Crispi Valdres or the Summit that we will be getting in soon.

OP
Muley Buck
Man you guys are awesome! This is why I love this forum! It's amazing the response an average Joe can get here! Great information from great guys! Now I have homework to do, (which is what I wanted) Thanx again!

WestNE

WKR
Another vote for Salewa. I'm breaking in a pair mtn. trainers now, no real break in needed but just getting used to them. Maybe I'm just used to softer boots but I really can't imagine a situation that they wouldn't be enough boot, at least for my use. Plenty comfortable for a work day around the house though.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
Muley Buck
The Crispi Idahos are looking pretty good. It's hard to find a bad review on them. How's the sizing on the Crispis?

blackovis

Lil-Rokslider
Review: Crispi Idaho GTX Boots, by guest writer Dustin Wittwer

[quote name="Desk Jockey" post=526856]Can you comment on fit? Do they run true to size? Relative to some other brands? Wide or narrow?

I am trying out some kenetrek so this year but have my eye on some crispis. I have pretty wide feet and wonder how they fit.

They seem to run pretty true to size for most people including myself. I wear the same size Idaho that I wear in everyday shoes. The only exception to that would be a guy that I helped that always wore cowboy style work boots and bought a 9 in those because they stretch out over time. He had to go up to a 10 in the [URL="[url]http://www.blackovis.com/crispi-wyoming-gtx-uninsulated-hunting-boot"]Wyoming boot because his toes would hit the front.

If you order through Blackovis.com you can try them on inside and make sure they fit, if you end up needing to size up or down that isn't a problem at all. I would suggest buying the size you normally wear in shoes not whatever has worked with other high end boot brands. Lowa's of course run a bit narrow and Kenetrek's can seem to run wide in the toe box so guys sometimes go down a half size. [URL="http://www.blackovis.com/brands/zamberlan]Zamberlan's tend to run a bit long and perhaps narrow if you are on the verge of having a "wide" foot. Feel free to message me or call me at 801-559-7556 if you have any questions or concerns.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_fid=45046&share_type=t&share_pid=530120

OP
Muley Buck
What exactly is the difference between the Idaho and the Wyoming besides the height? If there is any? Then I suppose my next question naturally would be where to buy?

OP
Muley Buck
Duh, I didn't even see the sticky thread on the Crispis. I must have overlooked it. Thanks again! I think I'm gonna pull the trigger in a week or so.:D

blackovis

Lil-Rokslider
No worries haha let me know how you like them. You're welcome