Davis tent elk package review (part 1)

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
The Davis tent Elk package​
We have had many nylon tents over the years, and they all served their purpose, although some better than others. A few years ago, we purchased our first canvas tent, it was a 10x14 Kodiak canvas flexbow tent. This was a real step up from anything we had used previously. No more condensation on the walls in the morning and not nearly as hot in the summer as a nylon tent. Plus, it stood up to wind better and was more robust than the tents we used in the past. After using this for a few years we came to the realization that this was too small for our needs. Three cots and our gear fit in the tent but left little room for much else especially if the weather turned and we found ourselves confined to the tent. A prior trip during hunting season with a different tent reminded us how cramped things can be if you are doing anything more than just sleeping in it. That trip ended early for the wife and kids because being couped up with young energetic kids in a small tent while it rains all day isn't exactly a recipe for fun.

I have wanted a wall tent for many years now for hunting and camping with the family, and this year we decided to purchase a wall tent. One of the main draws for me was the ability to heat the tent with a wood stove. I debated putting a stove jack in the Kodiak, but there wasn't enough room with all of us in there, so we just heated it with a propane heater instead which worked well but wasn't ideal. We needed something that would keep us out there and comfortable if the weather turned and would give us the ability to dry out wet clothes if need be. After many hours of searching the internet for the best canvas wall tent and checking out every wall tent maker we could find, we decided to go with Davis tent.

Why Davis tent? On a purchase this big we wanted to get what we thought was the best quality and also a good price. After much comparing and reading reviews we narrowed it down to a few tent makers. Price was my number two consideration after quality so we began comparing pricing. This is where we started to notice that Davis tent really had the most inclusive package deals. Some other companies had a cheaper price for a comparable tent but sold everything individually and by the time you added everything to cart they ended up being nearly as much or more costly. Davis tent offered package deals that were priced better overall and included most things we were looking to purchase without adding them to cart individually. We did find one wall tent maker that had better pricing, but we liked the features of the Davis tent a little better.

Once we decided to go with Davis tent, I began configuring the tent we wanted. I noticed that some of the modifications we wanted, like front and back screened Colorado doors, and a wall mounted stove jack was not available on their package deal so I used the custom tent link on the website to configure everything to my liking and added it to the cart to get an idea what I would be spending. Instead of ordering online, I gave them a call to ask a few questions regarding the modifications I wanted and placed my order. I had heard their customer service was top notch and I wasn't disappointed. I spoke with Corina, and she patiently answered all my questions. I was not transferred to another department or put on hold throughout the entire process. After discussing the configuration, we wanted for the tent and giving her the list of other accessories, we were going to purchase, she immediately noticed that I could get the elk package deal and they could modify the tent to the configuration that I wanted and that would save a considerable amount over going the custom route and buying everything separately. That's awesome customer service in my book! Too few companies these days grasp this concept, friendly service, talking one on one with knowledgeable staff without being transferred or put on hold, and looking out for the best interests of the customer. Totally awesome! A+ for Davis tent customer service.

We took advantage of the show special pricing, which saved $200 plus the shipping costs if we could meet them at one of the sports shows they were attending this year to pick up the tent. When the time came, we went to the show and met with Corina and her husband Will, at the Davis tent booth to pick up everything. They were both very friendly and helpful and it was a pleasure to meet and talk with them. Picking everything up couldn't have been any easier. Having the same people that answered my questions, took our order, and were there at the show made everything go smoother and was continuity of service not often seen these days. A special thanks to Will and Corina for making everything so easy and for living up to the customer service that I had heard so much about! When we returned home, we unboxed everything. It was well packaged and labeled and all there, no drama.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_3418.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3418.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_3468 (1).jpg
    IMG_3468 (1).jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3461.jpg
    IMG_3461.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3460.jpg
    IMG_3460.jpg