Dang…was hoping this was going to be in Colorado!

vaquero

FNG
Really, if you shoot a wolf, in say washington or oregon whatever, where its not allowed.... as long as it doesnt have a tracking collar, and you dont flap your gums... nobody will ever know.
True, there’s been a lot of wolves shot and poisoned in Oregon over the past 10 years. To my knowledge, except for the couple guys that self reported, no one has ever been charged.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
It’s pretty crazy what info they can find out when a collared wolf dies. Combine that with the location info that they can get from your cell phone and the moral of the story is don’t shoot a collared wolf (or any wolf for anybody reading this).

Hnthrdr

WKR
It’s pretty crazy what info they can find out when a collared wolf dies. Combine that with the location info that they can get from your cell phone and the moral of the story is don’t shoot a collared wolf (or any wolf for anybody reading this).
True… it’s like an episode of CSI, but I’m betting if the perp is rolling around without a cell phone in a 1980’s Ford it would be like trying to find a ghost

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
True… it’s like an episode of CSI, but I’m betting if the perp is rolling around without a cell phone in a 1980’s Ford it would be like trying to find a ghost
Yep! Between the gps in the car, gps in the phone, they know exactly where you’ve been. Then the collars have a mortality indicator, poof, they figure out who was there when it died. Pulling a Yellowstone and throwing the collar in the river is only for TV. 😆

Fetty Wapiti

Lil-Rokslider
Yep! Between the gps in the car, gps in the phone, they know exactly where you’ve been. Then the collars have a mortality indicator, poof, they figure out who was there when it died. Pulling a Yellowstone and throwing the collar in the river is only for TV. 😆
The collar has an on/off switch...

Hnthrdr

WKR
If it’s in Co or OR im betting there will be massive, penalties if one of the states pet woofs gets clipped. Talking with a rancher who had one of the released wolves on his place outside of kremmling last week, his take is no one wants to be the first to protect their property from the wolves

Oregon

WKR
Good start. I have a great friend who recently retired as a "higher up" in OSP wildlife trooper division. I asked this question a few years ago, "how do they know....?"
The explanation was simple. Modern Technology. GPS off all our modern items.
I guess the moral of story is to turn up scope and ensure no collar. That's my takeaway

Beendare

WKR
It seems to me that instead of killing them, if you just shot off the males reproductive organs- it solves the problem and nobody goes to jail. Grin

I wonder;
1) if your cell phone is in airplane mode….does it still ping the towers?
I don’t think so

2) Hypothetically, if you gut shoot the wolf….its as good as dead and they can run off a long ways like that.

3) I’ve seen .223 vld’s after blasting coyotes and there is bullet fragments but rarely the whole bullet left to analyze.

It seems to me that instead of killing them, if you just shot off the males reproductive organs- it solves the problem and nobody goes to jail. Grin

I wonder;
1) if your cell phone is in airplane mode….does it still ping the towers?
I don’t think so

2) Hypothetically, if you gut shoot the wolf….its as good as dead and they can run off a long ways like that.

3) I’ve seen .223 vld’s after blasting coyotes and there is bullet fragments but rarely the whole bullet left to analyze.
Yes, airplane mode, phone off... still they can track where it was. If you have to bring it, faraday bag.