Dalton highway timing

Very seriously considering heading up the Dalton highway for the first time this fall to chase caribou for a week with a bow.

Unfortunately due to some other cross country travel for family events, the window I have available would be early August, likey start hunting opening day.

For those with experience up there, is going this early a stupid idea? I have killed a few antelope with a bow, so not expecting a gimme by any means. Just wondering if getting a few stalks in a day is realistic for a guy willing to hike a bit, or if I would be better off going another year when I can get in a bit later, when everyone says traffic and animals density is much greater.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
nope. I wouldn't drive from Fairbanks anytime before I've heard truckers or guys like you talking about seeing numerous bands crossing the road. For the investment you gotta make, I'd target the last week of August. But, if you've got 2 days to hike in, a couple to hunt and 3 days to hike out in early August, you might find a young straggler bull or two far east of the road. Or wait two weeks and catch 'em nearer the road.

The last some years arctic warming has presented plenty of reasons for caribou to seek higher, cooler and windy spots for longer in the fall before beginning their migration. Cows and young'ons lead the herd, larger bulls a week or two behind those scouts. Timing is what makes these mfkrs so hard and so easy hunt, you just never know which scenario you're gonna get.

OP
sickles107
nope. I wouldn't drive from Fairbanks anytime before I've heard truckers or guys like you talking about seeing numerous bands crossing the road. For the investment you gotta make, I'd target the last week of August. But, if you've got 2 days to hike in, a couple to hunt and 3 days to hike out in early August, you might find a young straggler bull or two far east of the road. Or wait two weeks and catch 'em nearer the road.

The last some years arctic warming has presented plenty of reasons for caribou to seek higher, cooler and windy spots for longer in the fall before beginning their migration. Cows and young'ons lead the herd, larger bulls a week or two behind those scouts. Timing is what makes these mfkrs so hard and so easy hunt, you just never know which scenario you're gonna get.

Thanks Larry. Say a guy was going to roll the dice and give it a go after a dinker early August, traveling like a gypsy in a rented pickup fast and light, what's the way to get across sag river right off the bat. Stash a pack raft? Uneasy about the idea of wading it, if that's even a realistic option. Even before the ribdon feeding into it on the south end, it looks about 80 yards wide on average.

thayerp81

FNG
I'm planning a trip up this fall as well and the biggest concern I had with wading was if you cross and there's a rain event anywhere in the north slope it could swell up and you'd be stuck on the wrong side. I'd look at a raft at the minimum or charter an airboat for transport.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Never wade the Sag even at low water. Its gravel footing is sandy and the channel walls are quite unstable in many places because there's little to no soil and roots to firm things up. People die almost every year on the Sag, even competent swimmers.

If you have a Packraft, ferry across and stash or sled it with you. You might end up going up into east lying tribs and be able to use that PR to float back downstream. Either way it's a handy and safe option. GPS that bugger if you stash it, and do so above the high water line. Lots of people think they'll easily relocate their pile on the tundra again and simply don't. I've seen the Sag rise several feet in a few hours.

OP
sickles107
Never wade the Sag even at low water. Its gravel footing is sandy and the channel walls are quite unstable in many places because there's little to no soil and roots to firm things up. People die almost every year on the Sag, even competent swimmers.

If you have a Packraft, ferry across and stash or sled it with you. You might end up going up into east lying tribs and be able to use that PR to float back downstream. Either way it's a handy and safe option. GPS that bugger if you stash it, and do so above the high water line. Lots of people think they'll easily relocate their pile on the tundra again and simply don't. I've seen the Sag rise several feet in a few hours.

Thanks again Larry, greatly appreciate the wisdom. Leaning towards jumping in with both feet (the hunt not the river) and trying to figure it out early August this fall.