Dall Sheep Hunt - Outfitter Suggestions

Hunt365

FNG
I am seriously considering doing a guided Dall Sheep hunt and I am hoping someone or a few people on here can give me some advise on the different areas and outfitters around. I'm not partial to any one area, however I am slightly leaning towards Alaska, as the hunts are less expensive than the Yukon or Northwest Territories. I have a few buddies who hunted in the NWT, all of their guided hunts lasted between 1-3 days, with an opportunity for a legal ram pretty much a sure thing. That's not what I'm looking for. This will most likely be a once in a lifetime hunt for me and I want the experience. If I get lucky and get a ram on day 1, so be it, but I don't want to be dropped off on a bunch of sheep and told to shoot one and fly home, know what I mean?? I'm not looking to buy a sheep, I want to have a great hunting experience (but I want a Dall bad too!). That is why finding the right outfitter is very important to me.

I also know that budget shouldn't dictate my choice completely, I definitely understand that the difference between outfitters for a couple thousand dollars could be the difference between disappointment and satisfaction, regardless of success.

I appreciate any thoughts, ideas, suggestions etc. Feel free to PM me if you would rather. Thanks!

I'd take a hard look at Matt and Sue Enstminger, they are top notch sheep guides and guide in an area known to hold huge rams. You'll have to draw a permit unless they have a non-permit area they hunt.

http://tokmanagementarea.com/guides.html

Another vote for Matt Snyder and Sue Entsminger, they are the best of the best in my honest opinion. I would contact Matt and start putting in for the draws, yet they do have an open area as well. You will have a hunt of a lifetime hunting with them.

Ray

WKR
Talk with Kurt at stone glacier packs and see who he took his unit 19 twister ram with. Also check out Revelation mountain guides in unit 19. If you are crazy fit then Lance Kroneberger can take you into the Talkeetnas with OTC tag.

Shrek

WKR
For the guys who've had a less than great trip why not just post up the outfitter who you are unhappy with. Add your reasons so we know what's the issues. PM's don't help but a few who PM for a name where as naming publicly will help all who google the name.

When spending the amount of money these hunts cost, I suggest going above and beyond during the research phase...

PA 5-0

WKR
Would love to hear more about your hunt. Sorry it did not go well.

Appreciate that. I am gonna let my emotions calm down before putting my final thoughts together. Still stings bad after 3wks post hunt. Almost have the story and gear review done.

Appreciate that. I am gonna let my emotions calm down before putting my final thoughts together. Still stings bad after 3wks post hunt. Almost have the story and gear review done.

Sorry to hear things didn't go well, I'm interested to hear your story. I had a bad guide experience for Elk in British Columbia so I can somewhat relate.

bizyrok

Lil-Rokslider
Hunt365 and other lower 48 hunters,
If you intend to hunt Dall Sheep in Alaska, I would do so as soon as practical. Money, physical ability and guide availability are items that will limit your booking.
OTC tags are still rather plentiful but you never know when regulations can change. Severe winters and some predation have taken their toll on sheep numbers and of course, mature rams. All I'm saying is that things could substantially change so don't put it off longer than you have to. Good luck.

carlc

Lil-Rokslider
A good friend of mine guides for dan Montgomery in ak. They consistently take big sheep and will give you the adventure you are looking for.

OP
H

Hunt365

FNG
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys, keep em coming! Seems like there is a lot of Alaskan knowledge here.

sdcowboy

Lil-Rokslider
I loved hunting with Brent Keith at Castle Rock Outfitters. I love hunting with horses. You can cover alot more country without killing yourself. Go early as possible and put in for a caribou tag. The sheep tag isn't in a draw area but the caribou is. Seen 4 caribou that would've made b&c.
(--------the sheep i got with Brent.

JohnRP

FNG
Try Hidden Akaska guides and outfitters, The Owner Mike bowden will do, his best, i know last year he was %100 on sheep and got some huge Grizz He books up fast!