CVA Wolf & Powerbelt project

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
In my above post the broadhead in the picture with the bulletin was in the bulls neck. There was no arrows shaft, just the broadhead, arrow must’ve unthreaded and fell out. There was no infection, no scar tissue, couldn’t even tell it was there until cutting off neck meat and hit it with my knife.
The picture of the bull behind the power lines is the bull we hunted hard for 4 days straight. We watched him for 2 days before the hunt started and thought we had him patterned pretty good and would have no problem killing him. That bull sure humbled me as an elk hunter

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
My wife filled her NM muzzleloader bull elk tag using the CVA Wolf, 290 grain Barnes T-EZ and 100 grains(by volume) of Blackhorn 209. First shot was 75yds and was a little high and far back but got liver, complete pass through. Bull ran about 100 yds and we caught back up to him as he was starting to go down. Her second shot was quartering towards us and she hit him right in the point of the shoulder through both lungs and he was done. Recovered the second bullet in between two ribs and was very impressed with the T-EZ performance. My wife was a trooper on this hunt. We hunted a nice 320 bull for 4 days straight and never could make it happen. Had him with 150 yds twice and he always seemed like he knew something wasn’t right and would find a way around us. We never hunted him in his bedding area until the forth day and we blew him out of there. Focused our efforts on just trying to fill her tag on the fifth and final day and she shot a bull we are both very proud of.

Killer post and pics. If that’s an Ironwill Broadhead, screw it back on and go hunting. Probably just as sharp as out of the box

@Bill V @les welch I believe that’s an Ironwill Solid, ya? No?

Bill, Maybe you should put a little note in the box that they don’t work as well when you hit ‘em in the neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
Killer post and pics. If that’s an Ironwill Broadhead, screw it back on and go hunting. Probably just as sharp as out of the box

Bill, Maybe you should put a little note in the box that they don’t work as well when you hit ‘em in the neck.

Yes sir, I think it’s an iron will and it was still razor sharp. I just couldn’t believe there was no arrow shaft or anything left on it. Just a brand new iron will broadhead in perfect shape. My wife wants to hang it on a string on the euro mount.

I’m still very impressed with my Wolf, just kind of want to shoot something with it a little further away to see how it performs. If I have a bow I can’t get close enough, if I have a rifle they come right to me 🤷‍♂️

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Yes, looks like an Iron Will s100. Sounds like the shot didn't go as planned for someone if the broadhead was in the neck. Congrats on a great bull.

Cheaha

FNG
So glad to see these reviews of the Wolf. I have been using a CVA Optima Magnum since 2004. It still shoots fine but I am tired of the difficult to remove breech plug. Just found a Wolf for sale near me and decided to jump on it based on these reviews. I'll be using BH209 and sabots most likely as that is what the seller says shoots best through it.

In my above post the broadhead in the picture with the bulletin was in the bulls neck. There was no arrows shaft, just the broadhead, arrow must’ve unthreaded and fell out. There was no infection, no scar tissue, couldn’t even tell it was there until cutting off neck meat and hit it with my knife.
The picture of the bull behind the power lines is the bull we hunted hard for 4 days straight. We watched him for 2 days before the hunt started and thought we had him patterned pretty good and would have no problem killing him. That bull sure humbled me as an elk hunter

So that was a completely healed over wound correct? No evidence except for the broadhead? Last year at least I assume?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
So glad to see these reviews of the Wolf. I have been using a CVA Optima Magnum since 2004. It still shoots fine but I am tired of the difficult to remove breech plug. Just found a Wolf for sale near me and decided to jump on it based on these reviews. I'll be using BH209 and sabots most likely as that is what the seller says shoots best through it.

you will love the new breechplug. i had two shooting sessions on mine over two weeks without cleaning breechplug (did clean barrel). could still unscrew it by hand. it did misfire twice after about 20+ shots buts that’s operator error.

OXN939

WKR
you will love the new breechplug. i had two shooting sessions on mine over two weeks without cleaning breechplug (did clean barrel). could still unscrew it by hand. it did misfire twice after about 20+ shots buts that’s operator error.

This one didn't misfire today. First time I've killed a deer of any kind, much less a mature buck, in a T shirt- I had been in my stand for less than two minutes when this dude chased a doe by and hadn't had time to put my camo jacket on. I actually didn't even have a primer in, either- had to do some sleight of hand while my dude was distracted. Pretty wild series of events, and the Wolf performed fabulously. Also shown the blood trail at point of impact from a 250 grain T-EZ. Tracking job was about 10 yards.

20201031_150827.jpg

20201031_162914.jpg

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
This one didn't misfire today. First time I've killed a deer of any kind, much less a mature buck, in a T shirt- I had been in my stand for less than two minutes when this dude chased a doe by and hadn't had time to put my camo jacket on. I actually didn't even have a primer in, either- had to do some sleight of hand while my dude was distracted. Pretty wild series of events, and the Wolf performed fabulously. Also shown the blood trail at point of impact from a 250 grain T-EZ. Tracking job was about 10 yards.

View attachment 228986

View attachment 228987

oh my gosh man, this is awesome! That is a great buck. And taken in a T-shirt, Ha ha ha. This is the best post in this thread.

OXN939

WKR
oh my gosh man, this is awesome! That is a great buck. And taken in a T-shirt, Ha ha ha. This is the best post in this thread.

Man it was a weird one. These three deer, all within 50 yards of my stand, are looking at each other. I, like an unprepared idiot, am looking at them. We're all trying to figure out what happens next. Haha.

NICKJ

WKR
It was raining so I had to break out the CVA wolf. 295 grain powerbelt works great on our little whitetails in NC. 0D81F016-7BB0-449F-8E8B-195734A11924.jpeg

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
Mine is an optima but not a wolf. Bought it from a member here earlier in the year for a kaibab hunt I drew. A 460 grain no excuses got a complete pass through at 206.

Attachments

• F7B93D33-FF52-424C-8267-5A9E54CAE984.jpeg
    F7B93D33-FF52-424C-8267-5A9E54CAE984.jpeg
    581 KB · Views: 39

Shanny

FNG
I picked up a CVA Wolf with camo stock, stainless barrel, with a 3X9 Konus scope last year for $210 when Gander Mountain was changing over to Gander Outdoors last year. Never really thought about muzzleloader hunting before seeing that on sale, but now it might be my favorite gun to shoot. 2 inch groups at 100 yards. Its only shot paper far, but that will change in 2 weeks when MN season opens up.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
0332ddd0a2bb7f5848b55e0c14fc2409.jpg

Cash and I got the Wolf out this weekend. We hunted this buck most of the day and even had him at 70 yards once but my little man couldn’t see him in time to shoot.
76a87adfe5fc61914d95e7936c94b4b8.jpg

82abf72e96f2ff535197865eed967420.png

c95051b098d978ab805abd8c7c6a4564.jpg

Ccm11

FNG
December.

Awesome. Plenty of time left then. Good luck to you guys. I’ve got a late season muzzleloader elk tag that starts in December. I enjoyed reading what loads you were working up for the wolf. I have the Optima, and I’m still doing a little tweaking to my loads. I’m completely new to muzzleloading so I’ve been soaking up all of the info I can from forums and wherever else I can get info. Does it make much of a difference in accuracy to weigh powder loads out on a scale after you get a range figured out by volume?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome. Plenty of time left then. Good luck to you guys. I’ve got a late season muzzleloader elk tag that starts in December. I enjoyed reading what loads you were working up for the wolf. I have the Optima, and I’m still doing a little tweaking to my loads. I’m completely new to muzzleloading so I’ve been soaking up all of the info I can from forums and wherever else I can get info. Does it make much of a difference in accuracy to weigh powder loads out on a scale after you get a range figured out by volume?

probably not with these rifles. If you get into the high-end custom jobs, you get a little more accuracy out of weighed charges.

cnelk

WKR
Yesterday I Did some plinking with one of my CVA Wolfs (I have 2) to prepare for Nebraska WTs.

Shot some new No Excuses 420gr bullets with great accuracy