CVA Scout 300 Blackout Suppressed Sub Sonic for Deer?

Anyone considered the break action, single shot CVA Scout 300 Blackout for a bow range, sub sonic suburban deer slayer?

Anyone hunt deer subsonic? I’ve read reports of lost deer due to lack of blood trails and overall so so lethality.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
No experience, but get the right bullets and put them in the right spot, can’t see how there is a problem. In general, I think many complaints are due to bad shot placement/choice and bullet choice.

I have some 300 BO that I would hunt with if I had the chance for it.

*Edit I was wrong. They used a scout in the 6.5 flavor.

There’s a thread or two on here where others have done and used exactly what you’re describing. I have a 300 BO 10.5” upper in the AR flavor I’ve used in the past. I’ve since put it away in favor of my threaded marlin 30/30 for my sub 100 yard shots. I find that thread I’ll post the link.

h2so4

WKR
Shot a doe with a Cva scout pistol 300bo with 110ttsx. Not sub sonic, but otherwise worked fine. I was to try the subsonic 198gr Dual Performance (controlled chaos bullet) next year.

Jacack

WKR
I have a rem 700 I built a 300 whisper on, long before the blackout was around.

It's killed a ton of deer and hogs almost all with the barnes 110s

Loaded about 2450. Works perfect.

Shot a few with some big custom turned bullets( can't member who made them) they had a huge hollowpoint with a second hole deeper in the hollowpoint that you stuffed a .17 cal bullet inside. Subsonic and they did make big holes nut never shot as good as I hoped. Still have some somewhere. They looked wicked but hard to beat the 110s

I purchased a CVA scout in the 16.5” 300 blackout.
I haven’t shot it yet, but my TB NTB will be delivered tomorrow so hopefully next week ill get to shoot it suppressed.
As stated in my other post, I bought it for the kids, but its a very compact rifle I may have to kill a deer or two with it just for fun.

Attachments

• IMG_3781.jpeg
    IMG_3781.jpeg
    233.5 KB · Views: 12
OP
General RE LEE
I purchased a CVA scout in the 16.5” 300 blackout.
I haven’t shot it yet, but my TB NTB will be delivered tomorrow so hopefully next week ill get to shoot it suppressed.
As stated in my other post, I bought it for the kids, but its a very compact rifle I may have to kill a deer or two with it just for fun.

Is that the pic rail included with rifle?

Boltgun

Lil-Rokslider
Expect 9mm pistol-type wound channels. I have shot a couple smaller animals with 300BLK subs, and the difference between rifle wound channels and incapacity rates and subsonics was impressive. Like opossums and raccoons running off with double lung shots. We finished them off (it’s hard to hide from thermal) but it definitely put subs in the “limited use” category for me.

OP
General RE LEE
Expect 9mm pistol-type wound channels. I have shot a couple smaller animals with 300BLK subs, and the difference between rifle wound channels and incapacity rates and subsonics was impressive. Like opossums and raccoons running off with double lung shots. We finished them off (it’s hard to hide from thermal) but it definitely put subs in the “limited use” category for me.

My understanding is hunting subsonic needs to be framed just like bow hunting. Vital hits and tracking required.

Presswood_936

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve killed thousands of hogs and a handful of deer with discreet ballistics subsonic expanding ammo . Neck shots are devastating on deer . A vital shot will be similar results to bow hunting . A frontal neck shot was taken on this buck at 85 yards . I don’t think I’ve ever seen a deer die this quickly .
Snapseed.jpeg

I’ve killed thousands of hogs and a handful of deer with discreet ballistics subsonic expanding ammo . Neck shots are devastating on deer . A vital shot will be similar results to bow hunting . A frontal neck shot was taken on this buck at 85 yards . I don’t think I’ve ever seen a deer die this quickly .
View attachment 760089
With the 188gr? Guessing that's the mini fix 8" barrel-- muzzle velocity on that?

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
I know a guy who hunts subsonic with a 300 BO. He had a few critters (hogs and deer) run off last year - thinking it was more shot placement than the cartridge.

SC HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I killed 2 hogs a few weeks ago with a subsonic 300 blackout. The first one I shot just under his left eye and he folded like some laundry. The second one I shot about 100 yards away, I aimed for high shoulder and it hit him about 2 inches lower than where I was aiming.....shocker here he also folded up. I didn't open him up, I barely moved him out of the field but I was not expecting him to drop with a subsonic round. About 80-100 pound pigs but either way their not rooting peanuts anymore.

I want something like this for my yard as well.

Had a buddy who doesn't particularly understand terminal ballistics lose a deer shot with the 208 ELD subs. It seems you need to be very careful with bullet selection and make sure it's designed for the application.

Last edited:

Boltgun

Lil-Rokslider
Now there’s a decent sample size!
View attachment 760089
Now there’s a sample size!

Where are you shooting the pigs? Trapped or on the loose? Any chest shots, and how did the recovery go?

Also very cool little rifle…er, pistol!